Orchid Forum Orchid Care

Orchid Forum Orchid Care (http://www.orchidgeeks.com/forum/)
-   Orchid Flasking and Seed Germination (http://www.orchidgeeks.com/forum/orchid-flasking-and-seed-germination-7/)
-   -   update on my "Ellen" seeds (http://www.orchidgeeks.com/forum/orchid-flasking-and-seed-germination-7/update-on-my-ellen-seeds-6320/)

patticake 04-20-2008 04:41 PM

update on my "Ellen" seeds

5 Attachment(s)
Here's some close-ups of my Bletilla striata seedlings. I know that there's a lot of algae, but I'm afraid that if I treat that, it will damage the seedlings. They're not doing much (for months!) but they're not dying, either! It's an experiment to see if they can be grown without the flasking process. Obviously, the flasking process is MUCH better, but I have about 30 or so that have made it so far. We'll see what happens!:biggrin: The first pic is of a ball-point pen next to it so you can get perspective.

articuno75 04-20-2008 07:17 PM

LoL! Looks like you threw rice in there to make it look like something is growing. :hahaha:

Seriously, are the seedlings pulling resources from the algae to feed? What are they using for nourishment?

patticake 04-20-2008 07:43 PM

I spray them now with whatever I'm spraying the big guys with. They're still on the wick that I originally had them on, also. I pulled a bit of the green furry stuff away from one of the seedlings and the furry stuff came and left the seedling there. that shows me that they have a tiny bit of stability! I'll do some more green stuff pulling in the next few days. This way they won't have to fight for their dinner!
If you click on the picture, you can sort of see that it IS a plant and not:hahaha: rice!
I'll try to take a better pic using my close-up lens later. It's a real pain to set up!:rolleyes:

jay 04-20-2008 08:24 PM

I am far from an expert on this topic, but Physan 20 is not only anti-fungal but also can be an algaecide. I use it at one drop per gallon of water to try to control algae. I have just started this about a week ago and have seen a little algae die off.

You could always contact the company. They were very helpful when I called them to ask questions.

patticake 04-20-2008 09:05 PM

Oooo- I never thought of that, Jay! Thanks!:D

patticake 04-21-2008 07:20 AM

Just wanted to bump this thread up for kazjak!:D

kazjak 04-21-2008 09:56 AM

Thanks for the bump Patti! I'm going to pot mine up toss them outside and maybe I'll get lucky and get some seeds! I'm going to mix some old Schultz mix with good soil and see if they like that.

janet_a 05-06-2008 11:30 AM

speaking of bletilla, there's a big article on them in the current AOS bulletin.....

patticake 05-06-2008 05:58 PM

The May issue of Orchids? I haven't gotten mine yet....:(

janet_a 05-07-2008 10:30 AM

yes. got mine a couple days ago. (took the full two weeks to get the orchid digest though--they shipped on 4/15.)

Ellen 05-10-2008 12:40 AM

Patti, Congratulations on getting the Bletilla to grow to this point!!! :beer:
The algae probably won't hurt them if they've been growing in it all this time, and if it pulls off easily, it may be that you can just remove sheets of it once the seedlings are well rooted in the medium.

GrowInHydro 08-28-2008 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patticake (Post 65930)
Here's some close-ups of my Bletilla striata seedlings. I know that there's a lot of algae, but I'm afraid that if I treat that, it will damage the seedlings. They're not doing much (for months!) but they're not dying, either! It's an experiment to see if they can be grown without the flasking process. Obviously, the flasking process is MUCH better, but I have about 30 or so that have made it so far. We'll see what happens!:biggrin: The first pic is of a ball-point pen next to it so you can get perspective.

What did you sow your seeds on. I have a few dozen Bletilla in my landscaping and I just let the seed pods burst and let winter do it's thing. I can sow them on agar, but I've not been interested in doing it yet. I am interested however top learn what you did. Maybe I'll give it a go. I have about a half dozen pods out there at least.

Thanks!
Jesse

BTW - its been a few months since you started this thread. How are they doing?

Ron 08-28-2008 06:05 PM

Hi Pati.
Congrats, keep up the reports, seems something is working for you.
Cheerio
Ron

patticake 08-28-2008 06:35 PM

Oh, phooey! I made a Thread some time back -My first orchid demise....- If you check that out, you'll see that my Ellen seedlings went to orchid heaven. I was really bummed. I won't re-hash the details...Just say that there were some soil gnat larvae that had a little picnic. :goodnight

articuno75 08-28-2008 10:20 PM

I'm posting the link to that thread so that others can find it. :top:

My First Orchid Demise :(

patticake 08-28-2008 10:30 PM

Thanks, Jenny...I'm still quite computer challenged! :stupido3:

solay 08-28-2008 11:01 PM

Hee! Hee! Hee! I'm in the same boat Patti. Don't know how to link either.