Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Flasking and Seed Germination

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2008, 10:13 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Vivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really nice
UhOh - Brassavola flask problem?

UGH - I just took a look at my flask of Brassavola ovalformis. There are a few yellow leaves in it. Is this at all normal? Or should I get them out? They seem small but they are turning yellow. sniff sniff
Old 03-13-2008, 10:42 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 5,451 Times in 3,014 Posts
kmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond repute
I think one or 2 yellow leaves in flask are ok. It may be a sign that they're getting ready to come out. I had a flask of Maudiae-type paphs with a few yellow leaves which were overdue to comeout and now I have a flask of Den tetragonums pverdus to come out and they too have 2-3 yellow leaves.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:48 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Vivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really nice
okay - so ready to come out - does that mean now or wait? LOL

I really need to have a talk with my dad who keeps sending me flasks. They give me a scare as I don't know what to do with them and when. Then again, I do end up with a bunch of plants. But then again, I do end up with a bunch of plants. Yes I meant to put that twice. It's a mixed blessing really.

Thankfully my other flask (Lc x Epi) is growing like gang busters.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:10 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Next question. I'm a nervous nelly about this flask.

Has anyone ever used Reptile Bark for compotting?
Old 03-13-2008, 11:46 AM
Executive Senior Member

BillC is on a distinguished road
Vivienne, what on earth is reptile bark? This has never crossed my path!

Bill
Old 03-13-2008, 11:47 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,954 Times in 1,166 Posts
patticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of light
I'm excited for you.My father is a wonderful man- but he has never sent me a flask! He's not a plant grower. I can't wait to get a flask someday. Preferably one with my own seed cross in it! I have to wait until I have more room! Good luck with it!
Old 03-13-2008, 11:54 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Somewhere or other I heard someone used Reptile Bark. It is fine fir bark heat treated so it's safe for lizards, etc.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:13 PM
Executive Senior Member

BillC is on a distinguished road
I hope you are feeling better Vivienne, that bac.pneumonia sounds nasty. I have only just read the birthday post. Thanks for the info on the bark.

Bill
Old 03-13-2008, 12:21 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanks Bill! I'm working on feeling better. Another factor to take in to consideration when deflasking. I'm wearing a mask and scrubbing my hands before I do anything!
Old 03-13-2008, 03:34 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Well I've never been one to delay things so I've deflasked my little babies. Good thing as some were questionable. I kept 42 (and some are VERY tiny). Hoping for 21 grown plants. Fingers are crossed tightly!!!

Here are some pics...
drying on the napkins
in the compot
in the nursery
Attached Thumbnails
on-napkins-500-.jpg   nursery-500-.jpg   compot-500-.jpg  
Old 03-13-2008, 05:57 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,954 Times in 1,166 Posts
patticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of light
Awesome!! Good luck with them! It's so exciting... I love this stuff...
Old 03-13-2008, 07:10 PM
V.I.P Member

kmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond repute
Wow....triple points for neatness! You were quite right to sort out the seedlings by size, this way the big ones won't choke out the little ones. It looks great Vivienne!
Old 03-13-2008, 07:18 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanks! The flasks make me nervous but I swear I could deflask and compot them all day. It's great fun!! Some of those babies are soooo tiny I just can't imagine that they'll survive, but here's hoping! The nursery is currently at 91% humidity. I think I'll keep it like that for the next 24 hours and then start letting in a bit of air.

Now to decide whether or not to deflask the other flask now or wait until these guys are out of the nursery. Geez - I'm going to need more lights!
Old 03-13-2008, 07:58 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,030 Times in 630 Posts
digitalgate is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivienne View Post
okay - so ready to come out - does that mean now or wait? LOL

I really need to have a talk with my dad who keeps sending me flasks. They give me a scare as I don't know what to do with them and when. Then again, I do end up with a bunch of plants. But then again, I do end up with a bunch of plants. Yes I meant to put that twice. It's a mixed blessing really.

Thankfully my other flask (Lc x Epi) is growing like gang busters.
send it my way....
Old 03-13-2008, 09:26 PM
Member Photobucket

rodbender is on a distinguished road
Looks great Vivienne
Old 03-13-2008, 10:44 PM
V.I.P Member

exasperatus2002 is on a distinguished road
congratulations on the deflasking. My pod wont be ready to be sent for flasking until sometime in june at the earliest. keep us posted I'll need to refer to it this summer. Im getting excited already.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:54 PM
V.I.P Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivienne View Post
Well I've never been one to delay things so I've deflasked my little babies.
Hmmm, now I suppose I'll have to deflask mine.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:35 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 2,835 Times in 1,280 Posts
Anton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of light
I leave the seedlings in the flask as long as I can, when they look relatively large and healthy, that's when I deflask.

You have done the right thing at the right time. If you get a few starting to turn yellow deflask straight away. I have kept some of my flasks up to 3 weeks prior to deflasking just to get them up to size.

You can expect at least 50% success rate with the seedlings, that's why there are so many in a flask. Keep the big buggers and get rid of the little tackers.

My first foreray into flasks was the Balinese seedlings, I have learnt a lot since October last year when I got them.

I now keep the bigger healthy looking plants and discard the runts, and in the long run it pays dividends, plus you don't have hundreds of seedlings to care for., Mine have taken up space of plants I would love to have in my collection.

But, it was a learning curve I needed to experience and as long as I have at least 4 from each species, I'll be happy. At present I am well above that figure, but they are a real pain in the you know what to have to look after so many.

Just my experiences.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:07 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanks Anton. I had many runts but will give them a chance. They might get plucked out quickly, but for now they have been granted a stay of execution.

Think I may deflask my other flask today. The plants are happy and growing. Why wait until they start to deteriote in the flask!?! Plus the agar seems like it's becoming rather inconsistent.