Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Flasking and Seed Germination

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2008, 08:44 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 1,954 Times in 1,166 Posts
patticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of light
Thoughts on a new Paph. cross?

I've tried a new cross. We'll see if it takes. Just an experiment, but I really think it would be pretty. Hopefully all of you Paph. people won't think I've done a bad thing. It may not even "take". I've just crossed my( Paph. Hsinying Citron x Paph. Dr. Calsow 'Ching Hua') with my (Paph. Emerald Magic 'In-Charm x Paph. Pacific Shamrock 'Huel)
I don't know if these will take, but I'm really excited about trying. I'm looking for the Emerald magic type bloom with maybe some striping in the dorsal.
Any thoughts? Am I nuts?

BTW- Happy Mothers Day! I'll be away for a couple of days- I'll look for any response when I return!
Old 05-11-2008, 08:50 AM
Executive Senior Member

tom499 is a jewel in the roughtom499 is a jewel in the roughtom499 is a jewel in the rough
I'm not familiar with those Paphs, could you post a picture of each flower?

I would say, if your plants are strong and your serious, you wanna get looking for a flasker now

Something I'd love to try in the future.

Good luck
Old 05-11-2008, 09:25 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 5,451 Times in 3,014 Posts
kmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake View Post
I've tried a new cross.....Hopefully all of you Paph. people won't think I've done a bad thing.
A "bad" thing!?!?! How could the fun of trying your first cross be a bad thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake View Post
( Paph. Hsinying Citron x Paph. Dr. Calsow 'Ching Hua') with my (Paph. Emerald Magic 'In-Charm x Paph. Pacific Shamrock 'Huel) ... I'm looking for the Emerald magic type bloom with maybe some striping in the dorsal. Any thoughts? Am I nuts?
Well anyone who starts breeding orchids is a little bit nuts but not nuts in a bad way. But seriously....

The first parent is a Maudiae type. Is it green or vinicolour? As i recall, the Citron parent is a green/white Maudiae type but I dont' know the other parent....[pause while I look it up]....it's a vinicolor with Onyx as one of the parents, so a dark vini.

The other parent is a green exhibition type.

I did some looking around for crosses of Maudiae types by exhibition types and here's what I found:

Here's a green version of Paph Maudiae, obviously a Maudiae-type
Here's Paph Valerie Tonkin, an exhibition paph
And here's what you get when they're crossed.
And here's another pic of the same cross.

Compare the Valerie Tonkin pictured above to patticake's Emerald Magic/Pacific Shamfock cross pictured here. You'll see they're quite similar.

I think it is an interesting and appealing choice for crossing because you can clearly see the influence of each parent, probably because each parent is so different in appearance.

Fingers crossed that the pollination takes! This will be a fun one!

Last edited by kmarch; 05-11-2008 at 09:31 AM.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:05 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,954 Times in 1,166 Posts
patticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of light
Oooo, Kevin! Thanks for the shot in the arm! Thanks also for putting the link to my Pacific Shamrock Pic. I'm heading out the door for a couple of days, and don't have time to look for and post the pics.
The pollen parent is my maudiae type. The picture is the one that I got the intermediate photo for in February(I think). Yes... P. 2- It would be in the photo contest archives thread. We'll see if it takes before I get too excited....
Your pics. are MOST helpful!

Tom- I've been looking for a flasker for the Catt. cross that I have growing. I have a little time...

Last edited by patticake; 05-11-2008 at 10:29 AM.