Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Flasking and Seed Germination

Like Tree10Likes
  • 2 Post By exasperatus2002
  • 1 Post By Leafmite
  • 1 Post By JungleMel
  • 3 Post By PaphMadMan
  • 1 Post By JungleMel
  • 1 Post By Andrew
  • 1 Post By Ray

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2015, 05:57 PM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

exasperatus2002 is on a distinguished road
Tempted to order...

Someone is selling Ophrys seeds on eBay. Since I can't find them in the US, I'm. Tempted to order some seed and flask them. What do you think?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bolero and kdennis14 like this.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:13 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,111 Times in 1,016 Posts
Leafmite is on a distinguished road
I have never bought orchids from Ebay but if it is someone reliable who has a very good rating from many happy purchasers, go for it. If not, you might want to check around with some of the smaller vendors. Some of them grow some of the less common orchids or knows who grows them. I looked everywhere for Pleiones (everywhere in Europe and even Canada) and then someone mentioned that he thought a vendor that belongs to our Orchid Society sold them! I wrote him an email and...yep. He potted them up and brought them to the next meeting.
Bolero likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Leafmite For This Useful Post:
Bolero (01-11-2015)
Old 01-10-2015, 08:24 PM
V.I.P Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafmite View Post
I have never bought orchids from Ebay but if it is someone reliable who has a very good rating from many happy purchasers, go for it. If not, you might want to check around with some of the smaller vendors. Some of them grow some of the less common orchids or knows who grows them. I looked everywhere for Pleiones (everywhere in Europe and even Canada) and then someone mentioned that he thought a vendor that belongs to our Orchid Society sold them! I wrote him an email and...yep. He potted them up and brought them to the next meeting.

There's a uk vendor selling pleione bulbs too but someone beats me out.

Old 01-10-2015, 11:38 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,111 Times in 1,016 Posts
Leafmite is on a distinguished road
Pleiones are plentiful in the UK. Roberts Flower Supply might still have three types of them. I cannot remember right now which vendor sold me the confusa (I think that is the spelling). I just found four types.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:03 AM
V.I.P Member

Catt Mandu is on a distinguished road
Ophrys are often dependent on specific symbiotic fungi in the wild. You might want to research whether any growers have been able to work around this requirement and have grown them well in "captivity".
Old 01-11-2015, 05:22 AM

JungleMel is on a distinguished road
There's a ton of seed scams on eBay. Not to say this one seller is, but I would check a few things.

#1.) What else are they selling? If it's hundreds of sales of seeds from tons of "rare" plants, orchids, etc. Then ask yourself if you really believe that they could have so many to sell. They are automatically out if they sell seeds of flower or fruit color forms that don't exist, this happens a lot with rose and berry seeds for some reason. Is the seller also falsely advertising seeds that don't grow true, ie. plants that are grown grafted and not grown from seed for a reason? That rules them out as a seller for me automatically too.

#2.) If you believe the seller, that the seeds are what they say they are...are they fresh? Do the seeds have a short shelf life before they are no longer viable? If it's a long shelf life, were they stored properly? Might want to ask the seller first...

#3.) It's January. Here in FL it's warm enough to ship, but in an airplane at 30,000 feet it's still very cold, as can be stopover states. Is it safe to ship them time of year?

Then there's the issue that Catt Mandu mentioned....

However, if it's cheap enough to be worth the risk, then whatever. Occasionally I take that risk and it was about 50/50, until I found the one consistently legit seed seller of the "rare" seeds I personally like to grow. Do your research about the growing the seed, details about how long it's viable, where it's likely to come from legally/illegally, etc. and you lessen your eBay seed buying risk considerably.
Bolero likes this.

Last edited by JungleMel; 01-11-2015 at 05:43 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JungleMel For This Useful Post:
Bolero (01-11-2015), katrina (01-11-2015)
Old 01-11-2015, 10:57 AM

PaphMadMan is on a distinguished road
I see 2 vendors selling Ophrys seed.

The one selling mixed seed I would avoid. Lots of hype but little information.

The other one, from Greece, seems legit. Mentions refrigerated seed storage, specifics, seems knowledgeable.

One thing you don't have to worry about. Dry seeds, especially of temperate zone species like Ophrys, will not be affected by cold temperatures in shipping.

Only you can decide if you have the skill and the patience needed, and if the price is reasonable for the risk.

If you succeed and get hundreds of healthy seedlings out of flask, I'll take 3 of each.
The Following User Says Thank You to PaphMadMan For This Useful Post:
JungleMel (01-11-2015)
Old 01-11-2015, 04:57 PM

JungleMel is on a distinguished road
@PaphMadMan, Thanks for the specifics. Although I have experience with eBay seed buying, it's not with Ophrys seed specifically. The first seller you mentioned had just about everything wrong, while the one in Greece had just about everything I'd want to know if I was trying to import them.

Then there's the legality issue. Can these be imported under the APHIS small lot of seeds permit, or no? I thought all orchid and orchid parts including dead and herbarium specimens are still protected under CITIES, which would require the seller to also have the correct paperwork. If they do need proper import documentation and you don't get it, you at the very least risk having your shipment confiscated by customs.
exasperatus2002 likes this.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:33 AM

gingerhill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafmite View Post
I bought Pleiones last year from my Michigan Bulb catalog. They have one advertised this year as a "ground orchid" which may be Pleiones and they also have Tongariro ground orchid
Old 01-12-2015, 08:29 PM
Executive Senior Member

Andrew is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JungleMel View Post
Then there's the legality issue. Can these be imported under the APHIS small lot of seeds permit, or no? I thought all orchid and orchid parts including dead and herbarium specimens are still protected under CITIES, which would require the seller to also have the correct paperwork. If they do need proper import documentation and you don't get it, you at the very least risk having your shipment confiscated by customs.
I realise that US customs seems to deal with CITES with a firmer hand than the rest of the world but I sent some CITES App II seed to Troy Meyer (Australia to US) with a small lot permit. APHIS inspected it and forwarded it on without a problem. So long as exasperatus2002 has the import permit organised to send to the seller it should be OK
Old 01-13-2015, 08:46 AM
Executive Senior Member

Thanked 1,512 Times in 743 Posts
Ray is on a distinguished road
Catt touched on it a bit, so I'll ask a broader question: Even if you can get the seeds, they are what you think, and you can have them successfully germinate, can you provide the right cultural conditions for growing them?

Ophrys tend to be cold- to cool-growers, and I doubt any would survive our summers.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:52 AM
V.I.P Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
Catt touched on it a bit, so I'll ask a broader question: Even if you can get the seeds, they are what you think, and you can have them successfully germinate, can you provide the right cultural conditions for growing them?

Ophrys tend to be cold- to cool-growers, and I doubt any would survive our summers.

That would depend on the species. They range from Norway to the Mediterranean. The cooler growers would have to be moved into an air conditioned room in summer.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:57 AM
V.I.P Member

Got to my homework

Old 01-13-2015, 01:50 PM
Executive Senior Member

Thanked 1,512 Times in 743 Posts
Ray is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by exasperatus2002 View Post
That would depend on the species. They range from Norway to the Mediterranean. The cooler growers would have to be moved into an air conditioned room in summer.

Yes, but even the more southern ones are still cool growers...

Ray Barkalow
firstrays.com
Old 01-13-2015, 02:45 PM
V.I.P Member

Tempted to order...

Could be worse, could be like Disa's! Going thru the availability list, I think that if I go forward, it will be with Ophrys ferrum. It grows in the grassy meadows of the Aegean, Albania, Crete, Greece and western turkey. Prefers a well drained low fertility soil in part shade. It is sensitive to fertilizers and fungicides.

Last edited by exasperatus2002; 01-13-2015 at 02:49 PM.