Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Flasking and Seed Germination

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 06:40 PM

2woodensticks is on a distinguished road
sowing green pod

ok i am jumping back into orchids with both feet..question on green pod flasking..phal pods mature 120 days give or take..how soon befor mature do or can you sow them???any help on this matter as always is much appreaceted
Old 04-04-2013, 07:00 AM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 6,637 Times in 2,844 Posts
Brooke is on a distinguished road
Not all Phal pods mature enough to harvest in 120 days. Wait until the pod starts to turn yellow or you will end up with cotton inside instead of seeds.

I've had some pods ready in 6 months but some have gone over 8 months. I've never had a Phal pod ready to harvest in 120 days - for me they are still growing then.

Brooke
Old 04-04-2013, 07:08 AM

plucker is on a distinguished road
Yep, I agree with Brooke.

Seed pod ripening depends on seasons and environmental conditions as well as genera in relation to these.
My tibicinis had full grown seed pods split 5 weeks and 5 days after I pollinated them - supposed to be 5 - 6 months, and have since germinated. Previously it was 5 months.
Yet Epi. bractescens is going strong at 7 months - supposed to be 4-5 months.

Both of these were pollinated at the same time.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:14 AM

thanks for info..only reason i asked ..i have been reading some of the flasking service sites..some say they flask phal at 100 -120 days from pollination..of the four charts i have seen matureity is from 4-6 months,but some of them are talking about dry seed sowing..i did read one from UK that said protocorns from a pod that was only 90 days old.again thanks and good growing
Old 04-05-2013, 02:44 AM

plucker is on a distinguished road
Usually seed sterilization is an additional fee and the thoughts are that it can inhibit germination.

As I understand it, the pods have mature seeds from about 2/3 of the way into ripening, although that is not always guaranteed, and I personally havent tested that. Although I have looked at immature seeds 1/2 way through under a microscope and it can be seen that they are not ready.

One day I will post that stuff.

So in short, that is where the timeframes come from.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plucker View Post
Usually seed sterilization is an additional fee and the thoughts are that it can inhibit germination.

As I understand it, the pods have mature seeds from about 2/3 of the way into ripening, although that is not always guaranteed, and I personally havent tested that. Although I have looked at immature seeds 1/2 way through under a microscope and it can be seen that they are not ready.

One day I will post that stuff.

So in short, that is where the timeframes come from.
thanks so much.if i remember what site i was looking at will post a link..as always the more info the better..and i do try to take it all in..
Old 04-06-2013, 02:17 AM
Super Moderator Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 4,422 Times in 3,810 Posts
orchids4me is on a distinguished road
I agree with Brooke, my seed capsules on Phals have been at least 6 months also before they are ready to burst.

Daisy 2003 -2013
Life is too short.... Buy more orchids!!!!

Emmaye