Orchid Forum Orchid Care

Orchid Forum Orchid Care (http://www.orchidgeeks.com/forum/)
-   Orchid Flasking and Seed Germination (http://www.orchidgeeks.com/forum/orchid-flasking-and-seed-germination-7/)
-   -   Sowing Bletilla seed (http://www.orchidgeeks.com/forum/orchid-flasking-and-seed-germination-7/sowing-bletilla-seed-8809/)

GrowInHydro 10-12-2008 08:54 PM

Sowing Bletilla seed

I've searched and not found it...but I thought I happened across a thread once upon a time where someone had sown bletilla seed on soil and had some decent results.

I have about a dozen pods this year, and I usually just let them fade with fall but thought I may try this "flask-less" method as a bit of winter entertainment. I've got quite a bit of stuff under lights right now anyway, but I don't have an interest in flasking the seed.

I have been on a kick buying different gesneriad seed lately, so I was going to sow the bletilla the same way and see how it goes. Maybe mix in soil from around the parent plants.

Thanks for any info!

patticake 10-12-2008 11:21 PM

That was me. That worked for a while, but the soil gnat larvae ate the tiny roots faster than the tiny plants could grow. Here are the threads.
http://www.orchidgeeks.com/forum/orc...ens-seeds.html

http://www.orchidgeeks.com/forum/orc...len-seeds.html

http://www.orchidgeeks.com/forum/orc...id-demise.html

I hope they help in your decision. :o

GrowInHydro 10-13-2008 03:08 AM

Hey Patticake, thanks for the links; I remember your thread now.

I know its too little too late, but I read that when flasking Bletilla, that it is better to re-plate when the seedlings are in their dormant cycle; which lead me to believe that the post protocorm seedlings are going to be deciduous so I would be re-plating the tubers.

With your experiment, your seedlings may have just gone dormant. My Bletilla bed in the yard dies back like all the perennials. I've never grown them in the greenhouse to know if they will keep their foliage through the winter in 55 - 65 temps. Guess I could google that :)

If you are interested in some seed to try it again, IM your address and I'll send some out to you.

Tonight I sowed a whole pod over a blend of sifted soil from the Bletilla bed, peat moss, and perlite.

We'll see how it goes!

patticake 10-13-2008 04:03 AM

Awesome! I don't know if that's what happened to mine... You may be right. I wish you lots of luck! Keep us posted on how they come along...:biggrin:

Brooke 10-13-2008 06:54 AM

Jesse are you doing any flasks now?

Brooke

solay 10-13-2008 10:01 AM

My Bletilla plants still have leaves but it's in the GH. The temps. have dropped into the 50's at night due to my heater not being installed yet. I've been using a indoor heater as a temporary fix but it's not strong enough.
I'm also attempting to grow some gesneriad seeds using Chitosan powder. Suppose to help seeds germinate at a higher rate.

GrowInHydro 10-14-2008 02:22 PM

solay
I'm definitely interested in how the Chitosan powder works for you. I am getting about a 70% yeild on my gesneriad seeds. Are you using it as a fungicidal or does it have any auxin-like properties?

That gave me an idea...I wonder if the addition of Chitosan to my auger would reduce the instances of flask contamination. I usually just add PPM which does a decent job.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brooke (Post 101248)
Jesse are you doing any flasks now?

Brooke

Hi Broke, no flasks now. I haven't had the time. I have most everything either hardening off in deli-trays or already in plugs. I had a lot of seed from Thailand that isn't viable anymore so I'm going to wait until my boys get a little older and I can get a little more free time :)

Right now just sowing seeds on peat moss is perfect to keep me occupied. Of course I can't leave my Gesneraids alone and keep tissue propagating them when they aren't doing it by themselves. :D

solay 10-14-2008 08:37 PM

I just PMed you on the Chitosan results by Markclkk. Oh and if you want to try some of the Chitosan, I can mail you a few capsules. The bottle cost me $24 plus shipping and there's more than I can use. You can see if it's worth buying more.

GrowInHydro 10-14-2008 09:13 PM

Thanks solay, I'll send you a SwampStick or I have been hybridizing my African Violets I'll can send you some seed when they are mature here in a few months. I have about 5 seed pods now that will take another 4 - 5 months to pop open.

I'm going to go and take a few photos of my Gloxinia and Sinningia seedlings so you can see where I'm now after about 3 weeks. I have a bunch of Kohleria seeds on order that should be here any day now.

solay 10-14-2008 09:25 PM

Yay! I'd love a swamp stick. Thanks in advance for the seeds. By the way, will they do OK in the GH or do they need cooler temps. I need to really do some research.

GrowInHydro 10-14-2008 09:33 PM

You know...I don't know. GH full of orchid here and I have my new gesnariad hobby inside under lights. I would think they would do great in the greenhouse...so long as you don't have any sprinklers pointed at them ;) I'll have to see how a few like it out there.

solay 10-14-2008 09:37 PM

Thanks. I guess I'll find out. I was thinking about putting an aquarium light on it but I'm getting the "it's too expensive" on the electricity as is for the heater being on in the GH 15 hours a day now. LOL!!!

GrowInHydro 10-14-2008 10:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
:D

OK...here are a few pics!

Sinningia

GrowInHydro 10-14-2008 10:37 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are the Gloxinia

solay 10-14-2008 10:39 PM

They are so tiny. How long before they sprouted from time of sowing? Also I'm afraid of something getting in and eating them. How about the gnat larvae? Are you doing anything special to prevent that? Thanks.

GrowInHydro 10-14-2008 10:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And call me crazy...but 2 days in and the Bletilla embryos have already swollen.

GrowInHydro 10-14-2008 10:44 PM

A single of each showed up after about 10 days, by 3 weeks there was green all over the place. So I would say give them 3 weeks.

As for critters I didn't do anything this time around and so far so good. The Sinningia seeds actually molded the first week, so I covered them with a light dusting of sifted peat moss, and sprayed it.

I would say the one thing I guess I am doing that may be preventing the gnat larvae are the lids.

solay 10-14-2008 11:08 PM

I have a lid on them too. Hope that'll do it. I do have gnats in the GH so I'm a little worried. Thanks for the info.

patticake 10-15-2008 02:28 AM

Everything looks good! I used to raise violets from seed. They grow pretty fast compared to orchids. :wink: Good luck with the Bletilla. I hope you can stay away from those gnat larvae! I think if the plants had grown faster, the roots would have gotten too big to have been eaten on mine. :D Keep us posted! :wink:

solay 10-15-2008 11:16 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here's my Bretilla corms? I started a while back. Still growing leaves and is in the GH. Not sure how long before it's BS.

GrowInHydro 10-23-2008 12:00 AM

Update

3 Attachment(s)
Here's an update on the Bletilla seed

patticake 10-23-2008 05:36 AM

They look good! :top: Keep us posted. :wink:

solay 10-23-2008 07:55 PM

They almost look like little bugs. Maybe aphids or something. Anyway, it looks like it's doing well. Yes, keep us posted on the progress.

GrowInHydro 10-23-2008 09:52 PM

Hey Solay! I got the Chitosan yesterday, thank you!:You_Rock_

solay 10-23-2008 10:39 PM

Oh good. Glad it made it there. By the way, each capsule is 420 mg. I'm trying a small noid Catt. type orchid on the swamp stick now but might decide on something that needs more moisture instead. I'll decide this weekend. Thanks again.

Rishad Kalarikkal 10-24-2008 09:59 PM

wow...this is really interesting.....please keep posting......

markclkk 10-26-2008 12:53 PM

Wow wow. Jesse, welcome to the gesneriad addiction. seeing those 4 leave seedling grown so healthy. You must have given them full sunlight (or near that).

You can prevent the green algae by lower the PH, no fertilizer during germination stage and a lid. At this stage, don't let the media dry up completely. Once it has 4 leave (can see in your picture), you can start acclimatizing it to fit your environment in a smaller pot. During which, it will start develope tuber. Which act very much like food/ water reserve. You can start feeding them diluted fertilizer too. You may need to reduce the light or the leave will turn yellowish.

GrowInHydro 10-26-2008 01:49 PM

Heh heh thanks! Having fun with the gesneraids and the Bletilla seed. :D

Got seeds from 7 new Kohleria crosses last week, and got a bit carried away on eBay and it looks like I now have 31 new plants on their way too. :laugh:

Thanks for the info! I've been sowing/growing the seedlings under florescent lights (right under) in plastic deli pots with the lid. I moved then down to about 8" away from the lights a few days ago. Not because I knew what I was doing, but because I needed to figure out where these 31 new plants were going to fit. :o

Today I'm back to playing with the Bletilla seed. I just went and cut the last 7 pods off the plants. I've sown some seed on the Miracle Grow potting mix right out of the bag. I just finished steam sterilizing a peat moss/perlite mix. Its cooling in my laminar workstation under UV with the containers and a few agar flasks. I'm going to sow on the sterilized soil and a pair of flasks.

We'll call the flasks the control, and can compare the yeild and growth rates of the other 3 experiments. The original corms continue to grow and the fungal mass is not being too intrusive. It has over whelmed a few patches of corms, but they appear to be popping through.

I'll post updates in about a week after the new experiments germinate :fingers crossed:

Jesse

GrowInHydro 10-26-2008 01:53 PM

Here's a NoID Episcia that just bloomed for me.
http://gesneriadforum.com/index.php?...ttach=62;image

And some seed pods I got started
http://gesneriadforum.com/index.php?...ttach=68;image

http://gesneriadforum.com/index.php?...ttach=70;image

solay 10-26-2008 02:08 PM

That's a pretty one Jesse. Good luck with the pods too. Looks good.