Orchid Forum Orchid Care

Orchid Forum Orchid Care (http://www.orchidgeeks.com/forum/)
-   Orchid Flasking and Seed Germination (http://www.orchidgeeks.com/forum/orchid-flasking-and-seed-germination-7/)
-   -   Self Pollination??? (http://www.orchidgeeks.com/forum/orchid-flasking-and-seed-germination-7/self-pollination-25701/)

Cristia 03-29-2012 03:56 AM

Self Pollination???

I have a couple orchids that seem to be developing pods. But I didnt polinate them...
I have what appears to be a half dozen pods forming on my oncidium, three on my Den. kingianum, and two on my Den kingianum alba. I had tried cross polinating the kingianums a while back, but the ones I did intentionally have long since shriveled and dropped, and the pollinated ones are on completely different spikes that werent even open at the time.
Do these types sometimes pollinate themselves if no one comes allong and does it for them? I have read that some terrestrials do this, but I dont recall seeing anything like that on the epiphytes, and unless occasional houseflies can do the job I dont know what would cause it.

orchids4me 03-29-2012 05:00 AM

Sure :) some orcids are know to do this but can't think of the specific ones off hand. You growing indoors or out doors ? Even indoors if you had a flying insect or a non flying insect attarcted to them it can happen that way too.

terra_australis 03-29-2012 11:13 AM

Ants perhaps?

Cristia 03-29-2012 06:40 PM

All my orchids are still inside, which is why it sort of baffled me. I have tiny sugar ants around, but not sure if they are big enough to drag the polinas.

orchids4me 03-30-2012 02:17 AM

[QUOTE=Cristia;321423]All my orchids are still inside, which is why it sort of baffled me. I have tiny sugar ants around, but not sure if they are big enough to drag the polinas.[/QUOTE
You'd be amazed how strong ants are :yup: saw a show on nature before they lift and carry like 10 times their weight something like that it might even be more :D]

terra_australis 04-01-2012 08:21 AM

They may not actually be large enough to dislodge the pollinia but they may well dislodge and transfer pollen grains as they move from flower to flower. Sometimes ants will actually harvest pollen for food... not sure if that includes orchid pollen though.

Cristia 04-02-2012 03:06 AM

hmm. Well, however it happened, considering the dens are across the room from each other, i will assume that the pollinations are from the plants own pollin. I wanted a couple pods anyway, so this should be interesting. Now i have about half a year to get flasking stuff together. Lol. I will be up to my eyes in Den. kingianum between the seeds and all the keikis they make. If i count removed babies, i have like twenty of them already. Have started giving keikis away...

terra_australis 04-02-2012 08:33 AM

Yeah, kingies get a bit like that. I started putting them in the trees around my home because I ended up with so many bits and pieces.

Hinco 08-05-2012 08:35 AM

Hi,

if you pollinate 2 flowers on same plant do offspring look exactly like parents?
Would the color change?

H.

terra_australis 08-05-2012 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hinco (Post 342003)
Hi,

if you pollinate 2 flowers on same plant do offspring look exactly like parents?
Would the color change?

H.

No, never "exactly". There will always be some variation in the colouring, even between plants grown using seed from the same pod.

There will be less variation if you are talking about selfing (taking pollen from one flower and pollinating another flower on the same plant) but the offspring will never be identical.

Love_my_soldier 08-05-2012 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cristia (Post 322020)
hmm. Well, however it happened, considering the dens are across the room from each other, i will assume that the pollinations are from the plants own pollin. I wanted a couple pods anyway, so this should be interesting. Now i have about half a year to get flasking stuff together. Lol. I will be up to my eyes in Den. kingianum between the seeds and all the keikis they make. If i count removed babies, i have like twenty of them already. Have started giving keikis away...

If I lived any closer I would have been more than happy to take a few off your hands :) lol You should post some pics of your baby making machine :yup: :)