Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Flasking and Seed Germination

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2008, 05:04 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 1,954 Times in 1,166 Posts
patticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of light
Seed pods of my hybrid cross

Here's a photo of my seed pods. Crossed on 4/18 Pod parent is Slc. Mem.Alvin Beggman Poem ... The pollen parent is Pot. Love Call 'Sato'

They're all the same cross. ( all 3 pods) I wanted to make sure at least one "took". I may send to different flaskers, just in case one screws up!
Attached Thumbnails
imgp1612.jpg  

Last edited by patticake; 06-13-2008 at 07:42 PM.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:36 PM
Member Photobucket

FLaCo is on a distinguished road
Man that is cool...that will be my next project. When I get flowers this year.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:53 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,245 Times in 759 Posts
solay is on a distinguished road
Geee...three pods. You will end up with so many new seedlings. I can't wait to see them. I think it's so great that you did that. I'm too chicken and lazy I think.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:55 PM
V.I.P Member

Tobi is just fantasticTobi is just fantasticTobi is just fantastic
They look great Patti. Not a bad idea sending them to different flaskers.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:18 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

patticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of light
Thanks, Damien, Solay & Tobi! I'm excited. I'll only get one flask from each since I can't really afford more. I hope all the best ones aren't the ones they trash!
Old 06-12-2008, 08:24 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

jay is on a distinguished road
Very nice! I wish my cross would have taken. Keep us updated on these little pods.

Has this cross been made before? Just curious, and I guess a little lazy to look.
Old 06-12-2008, 08:35 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Jay, I hope not... I'm too lazy to check, also. I will soon. My life has been a little topsie-turvie these days... I would really like to name the grex. I have others that didn't take- I have a Paph that I'm still not quite sure if it took yet or not. If you really want to do this, just try again! Eventually one will take, one that's meant-to-be!
Old 06-12-2008, 10:16 PM
V.I.P Member

kid a is on a distinguished road
Wow that is so cool! I just got a Slc. mem Alvin Beggman Poem, is that same as one of the parents?

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/Ki...ws?ref=profile
Old 06-12-2008, 10:23 PM
V.I.P Member

exasperatus2002 is on a distinguished road
Great lookin pods!! I always wondered why does the dried flower stay attached to the pod? It serves no appearant purpose that I can think of. If you want to trade some seedlings when we're both out of flask let me know. Good idea sending them to different labs.

Last edited by exasperatus2002; 06-12-2008 at 10:27 PM.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:24 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid a View Post
Wow that is so cool! I just got a Slc. mem Alvin Beggman Poem, is that same as one of the parents?
Kortney, That's the pod parent! I LOVE this plant! The yellow blossoms with the lip trimmed in a red ruffle... It's so sweet! The blooms are small, but perfect....I have a picture of it in one of my other posts from April... I think it's the post Alvin Beggman is pregnant! I have pictures of both parents in my post of the show I went to in Rochester. You'll love this baby...
Old 06-12-2008, 10:31 PM
V.I.P Member

kid a is on a distinguished road
I saw it when I picked up my new Stima. Kelly 'Lea' and fell in love but picked the Kelly 'Lea' and thought if was there I would go back and get it later. It was there all the flowers had dropped and the poor thing was dry as could be but it so many new growth and 2 sheaths! They are so beautiful! They had it on sale since there were no flowers, they took off $7! It is in a plastic pot and looks like it is bulging the sides out and the whole pot is so full I can't even see the media! Would this do good in a basket or in hydroton? I'll post a picture tomorrow.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/Ki...ws?ref=profile
Old 06-12-2008, 10:37 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Kortney -How cool! I have mine potted in Schultz orchid mix. I love that stuff. I'm so glad you gave it a new home!!!
Old 06-12-2008, 10:42 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by exasperatus2002 View Post
Great lookin pods!! I always wondered why does the dried flower stay attached to the pod? It serves no appearant purpose that I can think of. If you want to trade some seedlings when we're both out of flask let me know. Good idea sending them to different labs.
I think the pods are pretty cool, also! The pods on your cross are huge! I wonder if it has anything to do with the size of the plant or bloom-to-be Mine are short and chubby, while yours are long and fat! I can't wait to see how these do... I would love to trade some seedlings with you, down the road- I'm looking forward to it!
Old 06-12-2008, 10:52 PM
V.I.P Member

exasperatus2002 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake View Post
I think the pods are pretty cool, also! The pods on your cross are huge! I wonder if it has anything to do with the size of the plant or bloom-to-be Mine are short and chubby, while yours are long and fat! I can't wait to see how these do... I would love to trade some seedlings with you, down the road- I'm looking forward to it!
I was suprised by my pods size too. Since the pod parents flowers are so dainty. I'd never have suspected it would have such a large pod. From the pollen plant I would have expected it (Blc Chia Lin 'New City" AM/AOS) had it been the pod plant instead of the pollen plant....darn cat.

Last edited by exasperatus2002; 06-12-2008 at 10:54 PM.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:57 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by exasperatus2002 View Post
I was suprised by my pods size too. Since the pod parents flowers are so dainty. I'd never have suspected it would have such a large pod. From the pollen plant I would have expected it (Blc Chia Lin 'New City" AM/AOS) had it been the pod plant instead of the pollen plant....darn cat.
Your pollen parent is so awesome! I think it has to have something to do with the size of the pod on Mom!
Old 06-13-2008, 06:54 PM

Greenhouse Gal is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake View Post
Your pollen parent is so awesome! I think it has to have something to do with the size of the pod on Mom!
Sorry Patticake it does not work that way. The pod is grown from tissue and genes that are all mom. Dad has no influence on pod shape or size. Some times seed pods are a little smaller or mis-shapen if the % fertilization of the ovules is low or uneven. Have you ever seen a "not round" apple? Usually if you check inside the small side will not have seeds. Thses are big pods but it is all mom's doing.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:08 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhouse Gal View Post
Sorry Patticake it does not work that way. The pod is grown from tissue and genes that are all mom. Dad has no influence on pod shape or size. Some times seed pods are a little smaller or mis-shapen if the % fertilization of the ovules is low or uneven. Have you ever seen a "not round" apple? Usually if you check inside the small side will not have seeds. Thses are big pods but it is all mom's doing.
Thanks for the info, Greenhouse Gal- I've only done hybridizing with African Violets, Streptocarpus, and Zygo-cactus. I go by what's in nature, like humans,... animals,... and plants.! I know that when I was expecting my twin daughters 20 years ago, I was beyond huge! (they were 7 pounds each, at birth, and are now 5'7" each, as adults. I was HUGE with my son, and he is now 6' 2" tall, 260 lbs.)

With African Violets, the seed pod was almost always the same size.(but not always the same shape) The blooms are usually the same size, however.-or close-

With orchids, I have to say that I have NO experience, but think that there is a reason for an extremely large pod on a small blossomed parent.

My pods are much smaller and shorter than Exasperatus2002's are, but his mother plant is SOOOO tiny! My pod parent is small, but the pollen parent isn't big either. His pollen parent is big and fluffy!!

We'll see what happens... It's so interesting to see how nature takes over.
It's just a feeling that I have-