Orchid Forum Orchid Care

Orchid Forum Orchid Care (http://www.orchidgeeks.com/forum/)
-   Orchid Flasking and Seed Germination (http://www.orchidgeeks.com/forum/orchid-flasking-and-seed-germination-7/)
-   -   Seed Pod Question (http://www.orchidgeeks.com/forum/orchid-flasking-and-seed-germination-7/seed-pod-question-26518/)

grandmapenguin 05-28-2012 10:35 AM

Seed Pod Question

1 Attachment(s)
I think I'm in the right Category since I know NOTHING about this end of Orchid growing.
When my White Heron Spike was ready to cut I was surprised since it had not dropped off the Spike which was a first fo rme. They always drop even when they don't look like they are really finished blooming.
After I cut it I noticed what I now think is a Seed Pod. Am I right:questionm
Is it too late to preserve it?
Terry

kip 05-28-2012 11:36 AM

It doesn't look like a seed pod to me, I think it's just the ovary of the flower (the part that would eventually turn into a seed pod if the flower was pollinated) The rest of the flower would normally fall off after the seed pod starts to form. If it really was starting to form a seed pod, you cut it off far too early to do anything with it.

terry_sealey 05-28-2012 11:38 AM

All of my experience with seed pods comes from cattleyas and not paphs. but I would say that yes it was pollinated and the seed pod is starting to form.

With the catts once the flower is pollinated the flower wilts but then hangs on, becoming dry and brittle as it ages. The pod develops behind the flower.

There is no way of saving that pod now it has been removed from the plant. It takes months for seed to ripen.

grandmapenguin 05-28-2012 12:02 PM

Thank you for the answers Kip and Terry. It was exciting anyway to say the least. Another new adventure.

kip 05-28-2012 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terry_sealey (Post 331050)
All of my experience with seed pods comes from cattleyas and not paphs. but I would say that yes it was pollinated and the seed pod is starting to form.

With the catts once the flower is pollinated the flower wilts but then hangs on, becoming dry and brittle as it ages. The pod develops behind the flower.

There is no way of saving that pod now it has been removed from the plant. It takes months for seed to ripen.

The ovaries on paphs look like that even before they start to form a seed pod, but most people don't notice because they're looking at the front of the flower, not the back. google "paph rear view" or "paph side view", and you'll see some good examples. Many other types of terrestrial orchids share this characteristic.
Paphs and their close relatives also tend to drop the main part of the flower after pollination, leaving only the ovary to form the seed pod. This usually happens within a day or two. Most other types of orchids will keep the wilted flower on the end of the seed pod.

orchids4me 05-30-2012 12:17 AM

2 Attachment(s)
On my Paph glaucophyllum the blooms dried up and didn't come loose for a month or so and I removed the dried blooms when they were loose. At first they don't look like much and only get a little thicker so its possible you had a seed capsule there more time would have given clues. One good one is the spike doesn't. dry up. Then the capsule over time slightly thickens. They can be decieving unless you see the signs. This is from my own experience here's a pic of a recent capsule 6 months later and the seed :)

Hinco 08-05-2012 08:34 AM

Hi,

How big is the pod?

H.