Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Flasking and Seed Germination

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2009, 09:06 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 4,721 Times in 2,020 Posts
lmartiny is on a distinguished road
Seed pod?

Is this a seed pod? I've seen pictures of them posted in the past on Geeks. I happen to notice this today. This is an Oeceoclades maculata that Diana (DT) sent me a piece of from one she found growing in her yard in south Florida. Andrew had ID'd it.
(I swear I think I saw one growing in a median recently but could not jump out of the car to check more closely)
If so, and they pop up like they do, would it have to go through that whole flasking process?
seed-pod.jpg
Old 11-04-2009, 09:13 PM
Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 5,389 Times in 3,096 Posts
katrina is on a distinguished road
Yep...it sure looks pregnant to me.

As for the flasking...clueless here. I'm sure someone in the know will be along shortly.

It would be cool if you could just "release" the seeds in the landscape once they reach that ripe stage...or whatever it's called.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:22 PM

bloomorchidguy is on a distinguished road
Imartiny,

You bet it's a pod. Oeceoclades maculata is a species that is autogamy (self-pollination) it occurs very early. One reason why the flower doesn't last very long in bloom. Another reason why this species area of dispersion is huge! Its found everywhere almost.

Those other flowers will probably turn into pods as well.

Troy

Last edited by bloomorchidguy; 11-04-2009 at 09:24 PM. Reason: typo...need a cup of coffee!
Old 11-05-2009, 01:15 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

I was wondering about some of those other flowers. They were looking a little "long in the tooth" to me. The first spike that came with the plant from DT did not do this. This spike came up shortly after. Interesting they are self pollinating. I'd been trying to figure out who/how being it is in the patio. But it is on a lower shelf where BoBo (the cat) walks behind on the ledge (and chews) Thought maybe somehow he passed pollen, even though he has no sweeping tail. No tail. But whiskers.
So, you think I could just try putting these in some soil and see what happens?
(when the time comes)
I'm still tempted to go back by the median area and check that. It will just get raked out by the landscape crew. But I'd look like a fool and/or criminal pulling it up.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:20 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

By the way, I have to pat myself on the back for this photo. I thought it came out pretty good. After I deleted about 15 blurry ones!! The flowers are quite small and I shoot in semi-dark to get the black background and just "shoot in the dark" so to speak. (why I'm still a novice)
Old 11-05-2009, 01:52 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,308 Times in 749 Posts
tangers40 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmartiny View Post
By the way, I have to pat myself on the back for this photo. I thought it came out pretty good. After I deleted about 15 blurry ones!! The flowers are quite small and I shoot in semi-dark to get the black background and just "shoot in the dark" so to speak. (why I'm still a novice)
lol only 15 blurry ones?? hehe i get at least twice that many every time i try to get pics of my flowers or fish. fish are the worst since they won't sit still, but even with the flowers, i still manage to blurrify some of them. i'm using a tripod ffs, i don't know what i'm doing wrong. but hehe i'm still a novice too...i will figure out picture taking one of these days. that being said, i think your photo turned out wonderfully! much better than i could have done.
The Following User Says Thank You to tangers40 For This Useful Post:
lmartiny (11-05-2009)
Old 11-05-2009, 07:56 AM
Member Photobucket

dtje2000 is on a distinguished road
Well, Lynne, look at that! I don't have any seed pods (that I know of), and here you go and get one within weeks of my sending this stuff to you!

Gotta tell you, though, I don't NEED the pods...my little plant that appeared out of nowhere is now a clump about 18 inches in diameter. I'm pulling up parts and replanting in other areas...will I live to regret this? Please...it's an ORCHID!

Lovely photo, as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to dtje2000 For This Useful Post:
lmartiny (11-05-2009)