Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Flasking and Seed Germination

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Mbamg4lif3
  • 1 Post By xKTx
  • 1 Post By empress
  • 1 Post By rlilia
  • 2 Post By PETALS
  • 1 Post By plucker
  • 1 Post By rlilia

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03-31-2013, 10:06 PM
PETALS's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: fairfield, ca
Posts: 158
Thanks: 5
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
PETALS is on a distinguished road
rooting an orchid spike cutting?

I'm curious if it would work. I have some rooting gel and I recently had to cut the spike off an orchid in order to save it (free bee from trader joes). The spike has been sitting in water for about a week now, so I don't know if its too late, but regardless.... is it possible to grow a new orchid from a currently budding spike cutting? It is a full spike, not just a piece
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03-31-2013, 11:33 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: South FL
Posts: 101
Thanks: 28
Thanked 31 Times in 21 Posts
Mbamg4lif3 is on a distinguished road
Spikes cannot grow roots; you can't grow a full-sized plant from an orchid spike . It'd be cool if you could though!
rlilia likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04-01-2013, 12:08 AM
empress's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Southern California
Posts: 884
Images: 14
Thanks: 190
Thanked 234 Times in 208 Posts
empress is on a distinguished road
Sometimes (under the right circumstances, with a lot of luck, the right equipment, and sheer determination) you can root a leaf or cane (PBs, of course). But I have only seen that happen once with an actual hydroponic set up but... now that I mention it, haven't seen the outcome of. But it is not so much rooting as encouraging the specimen to make a keiki. That is really all orchids do.
So, technically, you could cause the spike to make a keiki. Try keiki paste! And post your findings via pictures to share your success! If you try it out, that is.
But no... you can't root an orchid from a spike.
Good luck!


__________________


Garden Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Journal Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Photography

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 04-01-2013, 12:37 AM
PETALS's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: fairfield, ca
Posts: 158
Thanks: 5
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
PETALS is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by empress View Post
Sometimes (under the right circumstances, with a lot of luck, the right equipment, and sheer determination) you can root a leaf or cane (PBs, of course). But I have only seen that happen once with an actual hydroponic set up but... now that I mention it, haven't seen the outcome of. But it is not so much rooting as encouraging the specimen to make a keiki. That is really all orchids do.
So, technically, you could cause the spike to make a keiki. Try keiki paste! And post your findings via pictures to share your success! If you try it out, that is.
But no... you can't root an orchid from a spike.
Good luck!


Meh, it was worth asking. I didn't want my spike to go to waste if I didn't have to, its such a pretty color pattern, it hurt me to cut it off in order to save the sick little plant lol. At least the plant is making a slow come back though
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 04-01-2013, 12:42 AM
PETALS's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: fairfield, ca
Posts: 158
Thanks: 5
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
PETALS is on a distinguished road
BTW, how do you use keiki paste and what's a good brand? I'd like to try it out as I have some beautiful phals and I'd love to have little clones.... or if nothing else, I'd love to just buy a phal to experiment using the stuff on.

Would I have to have any special equipment for it? Like grow lights or green house. Cause I basically have my living room window, some fertilizer and patience lol
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 04-01-2013, 12:59 AM
xKTx's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 179
Thanks: 102
Thanked 59 Times in 46 Posts
xKTx is on a distinguished road
No, you would treat any resulting keikis like you would a regular young phal. You just spread the keiki paste on a node on a spike that isn't dried. I can't recommend a good brand, but I CAN recommend that you don't buy the cheapest one on eBay from Singapore..didnt work for me :/
TigerIsland84 likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 04-01-2013, 01:07 AM
PETALS's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: fairfield, ca
Posts: 158
Thanks: 5
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
PETALS is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by xKTx View Post
No, you would treat any resulting keikis like you would a regular young phal. You just spread the keiki paste on a node on a spike that isn't dried. I can't recommend a good brand, but I CAN recommend that you don't buy the cheapest one on eBay from Singapore..didnt work for me :/
Thank you. I found keiki power pro, its from the USA and their listing was pretty convincing, feedback was great too. 100% positive and that's the only item they sell. I think I'm going to give it a whirl and see what happens

BTW, is using keiki paste kind of considered cheating among orchid clubs? I mean, if I went to a club meeting and show off my plant with a brand new keiki, could I be proud of it?

Also, could I apply it to every node or should I do just one per spike or perhaps only one per plant? And can I use it while my plant is in bloom? I'm pretty excited about trying it. I have one phal in particular that's incredibly strong and healthy. The spikes are thicker than the stakes that hold them up and it has 10 big leaves, roots and flowers galore. If it doesn't work on that plant, it won't work lol.

Last edited by PETALS; 04-01-2013 at 01:31 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 04-01-2013, 01:41 AM
empress's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Southern California
Posts: 884
Images: 14
Thanks: 190
Thanked 234 Times in 208 Posts
empress is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETALS View Post
Thank you. I found keiki power pro, its from the USA and their listing was pretty convincing, feedback was great too. 100% positive and that's the only item they sell. I think I'm going to give it a whirl and see what happens

BTW, is using keiki paste kind of considered cheating among orchid clubs? I mean, if I went to a club meeting and show off my plant with a brand new keiki, could I be proud of it?

Also, could I apply it to every node or should I do just one per spike or perhaps only one per plant? And can I use it while my plant is in bloom? I'm pretty excited about trying it. I have one phal in particular that's incredibly strong and healthy. The spikes are thicker than the stakes that hold them up and it has 10 big leaves, roots and flowers galore. If it doesn't work on that plant, it won't work lol.
I have not used it myself so I couldn't tell you how to use it. But there instructions should come with the paste. Also, try searching it in the forum search. There are several growers here who have used it. I have yet to hear of using keiki paste as a cheat, more of a quicker way of getting what most people want: younger, healthier versions of their current plant or expand their collection or just to play around with keiki paste.
As far as I know, it is not like taking steroids whilst being involved in some professional sports team (if that is what you meant). Rather, it is a personal preference. Some people swear by it, some people don't think it works, and some people think it is a terrible, terrible thing. Such is life.
Anyways, try searching the forums. You should be able to find tons of useful information.
Good luck! And share pictures!!!


PaulB likes this.
__________________


Garden Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Journal Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Photography

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 04-01-2013, 01:45 AM
PETALS's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: fairfield, ca
Posts: 158
Thanks: 5
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
PETALS is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by empress View Post
I have not used it myself so I couldn't tell you how to use it. But there instructions should come with the paste. Also, try searching it in the forum search. There are several growers here who have used it. I have yet to hear of using keiki paste as a cheat, more of a quicker way of getting what most people want: younger, healthier versions of their current plant or expand their collection or just to play around with keiki paste.
As far as I know, it is not like taking steroids whilst being involved in some professional sports team (if that is what you meant). Rather, it is a personal preference. Some people swear by it, some people don't think it works, and some people think it is a terrible, terrible thing. Such is life.
Anyways, try searching the forums. You should be able to find tons of useful information.
Good luck! And share pictures!!!


Thank you, great info. I wish my phone would let me use the search bar :/ it closes right after I click on it. I think its because the phone won't allow it. I don't think its the sites fault.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 04-01-2013, 01:07 PM
xKTx's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 179
Thanks: 102
Thanked 59 Times in 46 Posts
xKTx is on a distinguished road
Are you using an app or opening this site on the phone browser?
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 04-01-2013, 01:15 PM
dbroome's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: New England
Posts: 275
Images: 1
Thanks: 249
Thanked 87 Times in 59 Posts
dbroome is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Searching on mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETALS View Post
Thank you, great info. I wish my phone would let me use the search bar :/ it closes right after I click on it. I think its because the phone won't allow it. I don't think its the sites fault.
If you hit search while on mobile and it pops up the search bar, don't try to click in the search bar, but rather click on Advanced right below the search bar and it will take you to a separate search page where you can do your search. It's an extra step, but works for me on mobile.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 04-01-2013, 02:14 PM
PETALS's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: fairfield, ca
Posts: 158
Thanks: 5
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
PETALS is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by xKTx View Post
Are you using an app or opening this site on the phone browser?
I wasnt aware this forum had an app........ TO THE APP STORE!!!!!

Edit: OK I didn't find it.

Last edited by PETALS; 04-01-2013 at 02:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 04-01-2013, 04:46 PM
empress's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Southern California
Posts: 884
Images: 14
Thanks: 190
Thanked 234 Times in 208 Posts
empress is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETALS View Post
I wasnt aware this forum had an app........ TO THE APP STORE!!!!!

Edit: OK I didn't find it.
Not its own app, per se, but on like a general forum app called Tapatalk. It's nicer than using your phones browser. I am using it now!
__________________


Garden Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Journal Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Photography

Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 04-01-2013, 05:53 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 916
Thanks: 462
Thanked 237 Times in 215 Posts
rlilia is on a distinguished road
Not to rain on other's enthusiasm but as already mentioned, you can do archive search on this forum and find discussions on growing keikis on spikes.
The most success been documented on keikis that appeared naturally on the spikes - some orchids are just proned to having keikis - and that were still attached to the mother plant, and yes sometimes with the help of a keiki paste. However, once the spike is being cut, it has no way to continue receiving nutrients and in most cases just rots being left in a water for some lengthy time.

I tried it many times with the same result. Also worth of mentioning is that the price of a keiki paste & shipping would come up to be roughly the same as a new orchid.

From the personal experience, while it's a curious fact of orchid genera, producing keikis is laborious and most of the time unsuccessful process. It would take a few years in case a keiki survives at all. This certainly is different from reproducing african violets cuttings or other common house plants - stick a leaf, a branch or a bulb into the pot and you've got yourself a new plant. If it was that easy, orchids wouldn't be so expsensive.... Sigh....

Anyway, I just wanted to share what I've learned while being on this forum and from some personal experience. IMO, it would be worth it to focus on cultivating a healthy young plant rather than trying to reproduce a new Phal.


Lilia
PaulB likes this.

Last edited by rlilia; 04-01-2013 at 06:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 04-01-2013, 06:17 PM
PaulB's Avatar
Executive Senior Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Prescott, Arizona and very happy about that!
Posts: 1,487
Thanks: 496
Thanked 447 Times in 347 Posts
PaulB is on a distinguished road
I agree. Keikis are always a fun bonus for me, but it takes so long to get to blooming size, ya might as well pick up a couple or ten to help offset the boredom of waiting.
__________________
"Contentment is not the fulfillment of what you want, but the realization of how much you already have."
Anonymous
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 04-01-2013, 06:44 PM
PETALS's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: fairfield, ca
Posts: 158
Thanks: 5
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
PETALS is on a distinguished road
For the record, I don't care about raising a keiki to eventually have a full sized clone of one. Its purely for the fun of it and also I can see myself learning a lot from it.
empress and dbroome like this.
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 04-01-2013, 07:32 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 916
Thanks: 462
Thanked 237 Times in 215 Posts
rlilia is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETALS View Post
For the record, I don't care about raising a keiki to eventually have a full sized clone of one. Its purely for the fun of it and also I can see myself learning a lot from it.
Sure.
Here's another way of doing it.
http://www.orchidgeeks.com/forum/orc...p-by-step.html

The project took about 4 years or so....... Oops, sorry - almost 6 years.

Good luck!
Lilia

Last edited by rlilia; 04-01-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 04-01-2013, 09:55 PM
Catt Mandu's Avatar
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Georgia (USA)
Posts: 2,111
Thanks: 404
Thanked 820 Times in 597 Posts
Catt Mandu is on a distinguished road
Naturally-produced Phal stem keikis seem to take about 2 years from removal from the mother plant to blooming. At least that's my experience.

It is probably quicker to just buy another plant rather than wait 2 years to get a duplicate of one you have, but it is fun to grow a keiki to blooming *& then you can share it with someone else!)
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 04-01-2013, 11:24 PM
PETALS's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: fairfield, ca
Posts: 158
Thanks: 5
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
PETALS is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt Mandu View Post
Naturally-produced Phal stem keikis seem to take about 2 years from removal from the mother plant to blooming. At least that's my experience.

It is probably quicker to just buy another plant rather than wait 2 years to get a duplicate of one you have, but it is fun to grow a keiki to blooming *& then you can share it with someone else!)
Lol, its not cause I'm cheap and want a free orchid.... cause I've noticed I have orchid a.d.d. I always see a new one that catches my attention and I must have it... so having a bunch of what I already have isn't very enticing to me... BUT watching the babies grow is exciting and should a friend happen to get one of my chids' kids.... that would be cool

I'm new to orchid forums and talking about orchids to other people, until I came here, its been kept strictly to my living room window sill lol... so I don't yet know how enthusiasts feel about keiki paste. But for now I plan on having fun with it and seeing what will happen.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 04-01-2013, 11:28 PM
PETALS's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: fairfield, ca
Posts: 158
Thanks: 5
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
PETALS is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlilia View Post
Sure.
Here's another way of doing it.
http://www.orchidgeeks.com/forum/orc...p-by-step.html

The project took about 4 years or so....... Oops, sorry - almost 6 years.

Good luck!
Lilia
Lilia, that's an awesome thread, very coll to see your babies! For me, I think experimenting with keikis that grow on the mother plant would be a good first step though. Plus, I have phals.... I've never seen one produce a pod like your project did. Obviously hybriding is possible with phals, but I'm interested in just making a baby for now. I figure once I can raise a keiki to maturity and get it to bloom, I'll be knowledgeable enough to experiment with making my own hybrid. For now, I just want to experiment with the chids I have now.
Reply With Quote
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 04-02-2013, 03:10 AM
plucker's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Townsville QLD Australia
Posts: 499
Thanks: 236
Thanked 404 Times in 174 Posts
plucker is on a distinguished road
The word meristem comes to mind for me on this subject.

This is done in a sterile environment, usually in a lab using multiplication medium with a form of hormone to activate growth. While this will produce the same flowering plant with matching gene pool, it is not seen as the best method to clone. In simple terms, the sterilized flower stem is put on sterile multiplication medium under lights and you just wait. Need to replate it on standard medium once they get bigger to allow growth.

Mericloning on the other hand is considered a more viable method with the opportunity to produce unlimited supplies, but the gene pool could be weakened.

As for keikis, I had one that was left on the plant for more than long enough and removed, which spiked 8 months after first initiating. Yep 8 months was all it took to show a spike. I had multiple flowers under 12 months. The following year the leaf span was over 30cm tip to tip.
rlilia likes this.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to plucker For This Useful Post:
rlilia (04-02-2013)
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 04-02-2013, 08:18 AM
PETALS's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: fairfield, ca
Posts: 158
Thanks: 5
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
PETALS is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by plucker View Post
The word meristem comes to mind for me on this subject.

This is done in a sterile environment, usually in a lab using multiplication medium with a form of hormone to activate growth. While this will produce the same flowering plant with matching gene pool, it is not seen as the best method to clone. In simple terms, the sterilized flower stem is put on sterile multiplication medium under lights and you just wait. Need to replate it on standard medium once they get bigger to allow growth.

Mericloning on the other hand is considered a more viable method with the opportunity to produce unlimited supplies, but the gene pool could be weakened.

As for keikis, I had one that was left on the plant for more than long enough and removed, which spiked 8 months after first initiating. Yep 8 months was all it took to show a spike. I had multiple flowers under 12 months. The following year the leaf span was over 30cm tip to tip.
Very cool. I bet it was exciting to watch I have one node that looks like it might attempt to do something without the keiki paste, it has an ever so slight nub, maybe I'll put the paste on it to force it to show me what its thinking about doing
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 04-02-2013, 09:04 AM
plucker's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Townsville QLD Australia
Posts: 499
Thanks: 236
Thanked 404 Times in 174 Posts
plucker is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETALS View Post
Very cool. I bet it was exciting to watch I have one node that looks like it might attempt to do something without the keiki paste, it has an ever so slight nub, maybe I'll put the paste on it to force it to show me what its thinking about doing
Usually the hormone ala keiki paste is placed on a flower spike still connected to the plant. The mother plant feeds the keiki which grows quicker than a seedling as it has additional nutrient supplied from its mother.

The advise is to do an incision over each node and remove a small portion (cant remember how much) which allows the paste/hormone to contact and activate each node into initiating keiki's.

Not sure how you will go now it is removed from the mother plant, although old canes cut from Dens left in a humid dark spot also create keiki's without being attached to the mother plant. I have several soft canes doing exactly that now, just lying under the bench waiting for me to pot them up. I can post some pics when I have time.
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 04-02-2013, 10:10 AM
PETALS's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: fairfield, ca
Posts: 158
Thanks: 5
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
PETALS is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by plucker View Post
Usually the hormone ala keiki paste is placed on a flower spike still connected to the plant. The mother plant feeds the keiki which grows quicker than a seedling as it has additional nutrient supplied from its mother.

The advise is to do an incision over each node and remove a small portion (cant remember how much) which allows the paste/hormone to contact and activate each node into initiating keiki's.

Not sure how you will go now it is removed from the mother plant, although old canes cut from Dens left in a humid dark spot also create keiki's without being attached to the mother plant. I have several soft canes doing exactly that now, just lying under the bench waiting for me to pot them up. I can post some pics when I have time.
I have a phal that I plan to use it on. The spike is still connected
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 04-02-2013, 08:11 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 916
Thanks: 462
Thanked 237 Times in 215 Posts
rlilia is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETALS View Post
Lilia, that's an awesome thread, very coll to see your babies! For me, I think experimenting with keikis that grow on the mother plant would be a good first step though. Plus, I have phals.... I've never seen one produce a pod like your project did. Obviously hybriding is possible with phals, but I'm interested in just making a baby for now. I figure once I can raise a keiki to maturity and get it to bloom, I'll be knowledgeable enough to experiment with making my own hybrid. For now, I just want to experiment with the chids I have now.
Hi Petals,
I'm glad you enjoyed reading about the project. However to make the history record right and give the due credit, I wasn't the one who conducted it. This was done by another, a very dedicated member of the Forum. I hope we do get to see those babies coming to bloom.. some day.

Best of wishes with the future experiments!
Lilia
PaulB likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 04-02-2013, 09:51 PM
PETALS's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: fairfield, ca
Posts: 158
Thanks: 5
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
PETALS is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlilia View Post
Hi Petals,
I'm glad you enjoyed reading about the project. However to make the history record right and give the due credit, I wasn't the one who conducted it. This was done by another, a very dedicated member of the Forum. I hope we do get to see those babies coming to bloom.. some day.

Best of wishes with the future experiments!
Lilia
Oops, didn't realize who it was. Still, very neat and great info. Its something for me to look forward to
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cutting a cymbidium spike Tephrochr Orchid Care Cultivation 2 11-13-2010 06:02 AM
What to do after Cutting an old spike? sina149 Orchid Care Cultivation 5 08-24-2009 09:14 PM
Phal Spike Cutting Tobi Orchid Care Cultivation 4 08-24-2007 07:20 PM
Spike rooting? Lucinda Brown Newbie Questions 3 11-23-2006 07:49 AM






Free Vote Caster from Bravenet.com Free Vote Caster from Bravenet.com


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
Orchid Forum

vBskin developed by: CreationLab