Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Flasking and Seed Germination

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By orchids4me

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2012, 09:09 PM

OneLove is on a distinguished road
Rookie here. Is it possible?

Is it possible to deflask phal seedlings and have any survive without a greenhouse?
I just have a few house phals. No special set up. I want lots more, but they are expensive in stores. Flasks come with so many but I wouldn't know how to make them survive. The threads I have read on here all seem to have green houses. Anyone ever done it without one that can share some wisdom for this chid rookie.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:10 PM
Banned

rlilia is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLove View Post
Is it possible to deflask phal seedlings and have any survive without a greenhouse?
I just have a few house phals. No special set up. I want lots more, but they are expensive in stores. Flasks come with so many but I wouldn't know how to make them survive. The threads I have read on here all seem to have green houses. Anyone ever done it without one that can share some wisdom for this chid rookie.

Mmmmmmmm! Excelent question.
I'll be following it closely.

And - I love the flower on your avatar. Soooooo pretty!

Happy Growing!

Lilia

Last edited by rlilia; 12-15-2012 at 10:18 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:43 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 3,967 Times in 1,720 Posts
Ron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
First up look at the requirements of maintaining a collection of Phallies, they are warm growers, need good humidity all year round of at least 50 to 60%.
If you can provide these you are on your way.
When I started deflasking orchids I use for a humi crib a foam box of around 2 feet or so long and about 18 inches high, here in Australia they are commonly used for packing Broccoli in.
Cut front face down 3/4 each end and take it completely out, leaving about 2 in high piece in the front.
This is covered with a strong Glad wrap and a cheep humicrib to place you deflasked Phallies in. Make sure you bleach all before placing the babys in it, they can stay up to several months in this.

If plants are small the can be grouped in a seedling tray until they grow big enough to place into 3 inch pots, When de-flasking a always use a good fungicide as insurance my preference is fungirid
Best of luck

My friend Missy
Good growing, Ron
Old 12-16-2012, 01:58 AM
Super Moderator Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 4,422 Times in 3,810 Posts
orchids4me is on a distinguished road
What Ron said check your growing conditions against a good culture sheet for Phalaenopsis.
I grow flask babies of all sorts mostly Phals, Paphs, and Catt alliance along with Vandacious. I just use lights and provide more humidity in the grow space for them and warmth. I grow in my dinning room
rlilia and oughts like this.

Daisy 2003 -2013
Life is too short.... Buy more orchids!!!!

Emmaye
Old 12-17-2012, 06:54 PM

plucker is on a distinguished road
Yep like others have said, just meet their growing conditions and cultural habits and you can grow anything.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:41 PM

paphman910 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The simple answer is yes but it all depends on the requirement of the species in question. I don't have a greenhouse at all and have deflasked many flasks of Paph, Phrags, Cattleya and Phal without problems. They all grow and you will be very quickly out of room!

I would first get a plant shelf comes with plastic covering from Canadian Tire or Home Depo or Rona:

Tierra Derco 3-Tier Mini Greenhouse - Greenhouses at Hayneedle

Looks that that picture!

Then you would add 1 or 2 T5 Sunblaster 20 inch tubes per self and add a couple of computer fan in the enclosure.

It works really well.

Paphman910
Old 12-17-2012, 11:44 PM
Senior Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 1,261 Times in 950 Posts
Fishmom is on a distinguished road
I can recommend the Early Start 2-Tier item. I got one this fall when I brought my plants inside. It is really sturdy and doesn't wiggle much. I have it sitting on a table, with trays of water underneath, and a small fan running 24/7. I can maintain 60-70 % humidity with this set-up, although it goes down a bit when the sun is shining in the south-facing window. I'm getting some nice spikes on plants that have been pretty stingy with blooms, like my Sedirea japonica.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:20 AM

LovePhals is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by orchids4me View Post
What Ron said check your growing conditions against a good culture sheet for Phalaenopsis.
I grow flask babies of all sorts mostly Phals, Paphs, and Catt alliance along with Vandacious. I just use lights and provide more humidity in the grow space for them and warmth. I grow in my dinning room
That is where I grow also!
The Following User Says Thank You to LovePhals For This Useful Post:
Ron (12-18-2012)