Orchid Forum Orchid Care

Orchid Forum Orchid Care (http://www.orchidgeeks.com/forum/)
-   Orchid Flasking and Seed Germination (http://www.orchidgeeks.com/forum/orchid-flasking-and-seed-germination-7/)
-   -   replate and experiment (http://www.orchidgeeks.com/forum/orchid-flasking-and-seed-germination-7/replate-and-experiment-30896/)

2woodensticks 09-21-2013 12:44 PM

replate and experiment

4 Attachment(s)
so my first replate went ok,2 contaminated out of 10..my own replate media. potato,banana,tomato,sugar,vit b,sugar,agar and so on..my experiment is on the contaminated..i rinsed off the protocorms that were not contaminated in the jar in weak HP and water and placed them on a piece of charcoal,in the cracks..i have been spraying a weak fert,sugar,epsom salt solution and some are still growing and getting bigger.i know pics are not so good but you git the jist..I steamed the charcoal and some spag for 30 min. placed in a plastic shoe box and have had no contamination on my experiment.they have been on the charcoal for over a month.:woot::woot::fingers crossed:

lepetitmartien 09-23-2013 11:03 PM

keep up with news, it's a great experiment. :)

Catt Mandu 09-24-2013 08:22 AM

Great experiment! Have the ones on charcoal been growing? I am curious if you have seen any difference in growth between what you replated onto agar medium, and what you placed on the charcoal and spray with nutrients.

Also, how long after your seeds germinated did you replate them, and what triggered the decision to replate (was the decision calendar-driven, such as a certain number of days, a certain size or growth stage (such as 1 or 2 leaves visible, roots visible, etc.), or was it driven by a change in growth pattern (for example, growth slowing, indicating more nutrient needed)?

I have some seed in flask now, starting to germinate. I am following your experiment with interest!

exasperatus2002 09-24-2013 08:36 AM

Interesting experiment. Keep us updated.

2woodensticks 09-25-2013 03:24 PM

growth on charcoal slower but they are growing..15 days to germ.did replate about 1 1/2 month later..am going to re replate 1/2 in commercial media to see if there is a real big difference..have some p668 on the way and will re replate.will keep informed..thanks for interest.

orchids4me 09-26-2013 10:28 PM

very interesting experiment!!
keep us posted....
a question.... when the babies root into that charcoal what is your plan? pot up like that or break the charcoal?

2woodensticks 09-30-2013 01:43 PM

charcoal easy enough to break apart..will keep some together and let the others just grow thru the charcoal..as of today still going strong..have so commercial replate media coming,just to see if there is a big difference..so I am going to take some of the smaller ones one the charcoal and plate them on the p688,just to see what happens..

catasetum-ian 10-03-2013 07:51 PM

oo...interesting.
i had been doing the same last time with my contaminated replate flask, but whole batch got wipe out by the heat wave a few days ago, except for one...which i see is throwing out a shoot.
i just let them sit on top of a chunk of moss,

keep the updates coming......

2woodensticks 10-31-2013 12:18 PM

no idea mold

replates are still going great..experiment on charcoal took a turn for the,well mold took over after I moved them to another location..had a few mites so I moved them, two days later mold..arrrrrrrrrrr...boiled charcoal and spag..no idea..will keep on keeping on..getting first leaf on replates though..pics to come

Catt Mandu 11-04-2013 10:42 AM

Too bad! Were you able to rescue any of the seedlings?

2woodensticks 11-04-2013 04:56 PM

3 Attachment(s)
some what..three were slightly covered so I cleaned with HP and stuck the in the roots of one of my phals...re replate is going great..little leaves coming up on all..would any one know...only 5 - 7 per mason jar..vented with 1 1/2inches of medium..will I have to replate another time or should they grow enough befor I need to..what would it depend on..thanks...my homebrew replate medium in middle..left and right is p668 from OSP..both are the same size and are doing great..both started on my homebrew germ. medium..thanks for all the support

Catt Mandu 11-04-2013 05:33 PM

Those look great!

BTW, are these Phalaenopsis? I couldn't remember what seeds your started with.

Reg22 11-05-2013 09:03 AM

Very cool. I look forward to more updates.