Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Flasking and Seed Germination

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2008, 07:58 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 1,954 Times in 1,166 Posts
patticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of light
My seed pods with a sun tan

These are my seed pods at almost 3 months. They have a "tan". For those who haven't seen them before, the cross is:

--- Slc. Memoria Alvin Beggman Poem x Pot. Love Call 'Sato' ---

I'm like an expectant Mom.
Attached Thumbnails
imgp1697.jpg  
Old 07-03-2008, 08:03 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,245 Times in 759 Posts
solay is on a distinguished road
Wow!!! I'm just amazed at the pods I've seen on this forum. I think it's just great! Is the red coloring actually due to the sun or is it naturally reddish? When will you pick yours to be sent out? Can't wait to see the babies and eventually the blooms. So exciting!
Old 07-03-2008, 08:24 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

patticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of light
The coloring is due to strong light. I'm not sure when I'll harvest. It should be 4-6 months after the cross. (4/18) I can't wait either.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:44 PM
Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 5,389 Times in 3,096 Posts
katrina is on a distinguished road
WOW! That's too cool! Is is hard to do?

I don't know that I'd have the patience required for something like that.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:13 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

It's not hard, but very time consuming in the long run. It will be a few years before I know what the blooms are. It's a little pricey to have them sent to flaskers, also. I think it's worth it though!
Old 07-03-2008, 11:06 PM
V.I.P Member

exasperatus2002 is on a distinguished road
Nice pics Patticake. You should try spf30 on your pods next time. lol. Is your anticipation growing like mine has been while waiting as patiently as possible?
Old 07-04-2008, 01:06 AM
Member Photobucket

Ellen is on a distinguished road
Patticake, you should put something in the photo to show how BIG those pods are! Most people have no idea of the size of a Cattleya pod.
Old 07-04-2008, 03:09 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 5,451 Times in 3,014 Posts
kmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond repute
They look fantastic. Have you arranged to have them flasked?
Old 07-04-2008, 06:33 AM
Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

A couple years? Again...WOW! I'd read a little something awhile back about it being a lengthy process...but I had no idea. I wish I had your patience!
Old 07-04-2008, 08:33 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by katrina View Post
A couple years? Again...WOW! I'd read a little something awhile back about it being a lengthy process...but I had no idea. I wish I had your patience!
Katrina, The pods can take anywhere from 4-6 months for Catts- to ripen It will be another 18 months (approximately) until they come back in their final flask. It's then a few years (at best) until they reach blooming size and you can see what you have! It's very exciting in my book!
Old 07-04-2008, 09:06 AM
Administrator

Yep...I wish I had your patience. I have trouble waiting for a seedling to get to bloom size....which is why I buy mostly bloom size plants. I purchased several seedlings last year and it's killing me because I know I won't have blooms for a least another year.

I agree though that it would be exciting to have orchids that you created yourself. WOW! That would be really cool!
Old 07-04-2008, 09:41 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
Patticake, you should put something in the photo to show how BIG those pods are! Most people have no idea of the size of a Cattleya pod.
Here's a pic. next to a quarter. (and my thumb for those who aren't familiar with our currency!) Remember that my cross is from 2 plants that are mini or semi-mini, so the pods are smaller than a regular Cattleya's pod. Check out Exasperatus2002's thread titled, Step by step... His pods are larger and longer than mine!

Kevin, I've checked into a few places about flasking. Since they're all the same cross, I may use different ones. That way it will be a safety net of sorts.
Attached Thumbnails
imgp1760.jpg  
Old 07-04-2008, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Will more than one plant come from each pod?
Old 07-04-2008, 11:32 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Quote:
Will more than one plant come from each pod?
Oh, MY!! There are litterally thousands of dust-like seed in each. You have to pay for one flasking, and then two more re-plates. (re-flasking to spread out the plants) It depends on how much you want to spend as to how many flasks you get. There are usually 20-25 seedlings per flask. Some companys grow some on and sell them. Some destroy the rest. If I do 3 different companys, and only get one final flask from each, I'm still looking at a bunch of money and 70 or so babies!
Old 07-05-2008, 09:01 AM
Administrator

OMG!

That's a LOT of plants! Whew! I had no idea.

So, this is a hybrid where you did the cross yourself, right? Are you planning on showing this one if it turns out like you want it to? Does that mean that you'd get to name it? Possibly win an award?

Sorry for all the questions...they just all flooded in. While I don't think I'd have the patience (at this time) for something like this...I do find it fascinating.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:35 AM

Orchidflowerchild is on a distinguished road
Quote:
OMG!

That's a LOT of plants! Whew! I had no idea.

So, this is a hybrid where you did the cross yourself, right? Are you planning on showing this one if it turns out like you want it to? Does that mean that you'd get to name it? Possibly win an award?

Sorry for all the questions...they just all flooded in. While I don't think I'd have the patience (at this time) for something like this...I do find it fascinating.
When you cross your plants, yes, you are the one to register it. Unless you delegate that to someone else. Awards are entirely up to the quality of the cross and how the judges feel, when it is in front of them. One can actually exhibit any plant that they own for awards.

-Cj
Old 07-05-2008, 09:48 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanks, Cj! I'm pretty new to this with orchids, so I appreciate all input!!! Do you have any preference for a flasker? I've checked out several, but I'm open for suggestions.
Old 07-05-2008, 03:37 PM

Aleksa is on a distinguished road
Oh patty, that looks so cool! I managed to pollinate one of my phals but I have broken the flower stem while watering...
Old 07-05-2008, 04:48 PM

Orchidflowerchild is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake View Post
Thanks, Cj! I'm pretty new to this with orchids, so I appreciate all input!!! Do you have any preference for a flasker? I've checked out several, but I'm open for suggestions.

Meyers Conservatory

He does proprietary, too. You send him seeds, he updates you on germination, yeild, etc, asks you how many final flasks you want, then he sends you seedlings, washed and ready to pot in a sterile, sealed plastic bag thing. Pretty simple, and not bad prices, from what I recall.

Mind you, it's been a few years since I've had anything flasked.

-Cj
Old 07-05-2008, 06:46 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanks! That's one that I was looking at, so I'll definitely go with them for one. I appreciate your input!
Old 07-06-2008, 03:53 AM

Jerry Delaney is on a distinguished road
Katrina, some of the orchids in the Catasetum alliance may have capsules (we all call them pods, but the correct term is capsule) that contain in excess of 20 MILLION seeds. As Patticake has pointed out it is not a project for the impatient. To give you an idea of how long, the attached picture is of a first bloom seedling of a cross I made in 2002 and I am just now getting blooms (but then, I am far from the best seedling grower). Then, to make things worse, the most of the flowers are coming out like this! I guess if the braying at the moon at night gets too loud, I can run them thru the shredder!!!
Attached Thumbnails
blc-200217.jpg   blc-200217a.jpg  
Old 07-06-2008, 07:18 AM
Administrator

Hey Jerry! Yep....that's a LOT of seeds. I guess I thought orchids would be different than other plants...what a silly thought. LOL! All plants (once pollinated) make waaaaaaaay more than one seed.

I suppose the part that seems overwhelming to me (and made me think things must be different) is the process that comes after those seeds are harvested. The multiple flaskings of all those little seeds and the time involved.

About your flowers jerry...that's a long time to wait to be disappointed. Then again....it could've gone the other way and you might have gotten a major award winning plant...and everything that goes along with winning an award.

I guess the whole process is sort of like the thrill of the hunt. The hunt for a winning plant...and YOU created it. It would be cool to have created something new and exciting in the orchid world.

I know it wouldn't be appropriate to do it on this thread but I'd be curious to see pictures of other people's crosses. Do you guys think a lot of people propagate orchids like this?

Sorry guys...I'm WIDE away in the mornings. It's the best time for my brain and the wheels spin really, really fast. LOL!
Old 07-06-2008, 07:38 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Katrina, Every hybrid out there was a cross that someone made. The larger growers have the room to raise many in hopes of getting a few really worthwhile plants. While hobbyists are at a disadvantage in many ways, lack of room and lack of knowledge as to which plants would cross well, we can only hope. The seedlings will come out with differences just as humans have different looking children with similar traits. I've always said that I was throwing out the good ones when I used to hybridize African violets and Streptocarpus. You can't keep ALL the seedlings!

Jerry- your blossom is kind of cool...! Many times there are a lot of "duds". We would have a ba-jillion hybrids out there otherwise. If there's one really good plant in a batch- that's doing good! It's a crap-shoot for sure, but it's really exciting to dream...
.................................................. .................................................. ................................
Old 07-07-2008, 07:13 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Wow- With help from Kevin, I have some corrections on my hybrid.

The pollen parent is now named Rhynchosophrocattleya Love Call 'Sato'

The seed parent is actually Sc. Memoria Alvin Begeman 'Poem'

This is in part due some changes, and part due to misspelling on my labels.

I have been researching their lineage. It's very interesting. I have found that both these plants have Sc. Beaufort in their background. I'm more excited than ever!
Old 07-07-2008, 08:30 AM
Administrator

patticake...It's definitely fascinating...and yet...it seems sooooo overwhelming. I'm not sure that I will ever be ready to dive into that end of the pool.

With that said....Oh boy am I glad for all the people who understand and enjoy the dynamics of this activity. It's because of all of this crossing and hybridization (sp) that I have some beautiful plants that alone (as a species plant) I couldn't have kept. However, due to the crossing of plants...I have a plant that is more 'grow-friendly' for someone like myself.

I may have the terminology wrong in that statement but I'm hoping you all get the gist of what I'm saying.

Make it a great day!
Kat~
Old 07-07-2008, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator Photobucket

brookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of light
Cool pods Pat! I'm excited for you.

Jerry-I like the flower, the colors are pretty. The second blooming is always better anyway right?
Old 07-07-2008, 05:48 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Quote:
patticake...It's definitely fascinating...and yet...it seems sooooo overwhelming. I'm not sure that I will ever be ready to dive into that end of the pool.

With that said....Oh boy am I glad for all the people who understand and enjoy the dynamics of this activity. It's because of all of this crossing and hybridization (sp) that I have some beautiful plants that alone (as a species plant) I couldn't have kept. However, due to the crossing of plants...I have a plant that is more 'grow-friendly' for someone like myself.

I may have the terminology wrong in that statement but I'm hoping you all get the gist of what I'm saying.

Make it a great day!
Kat~
Kat, I understand exactly what you're saying! Thanks for the encouragement!

Brookn- Thanks!
Old 07-08-2008, 01:43 PM

Greenhouse Gal is on a distinguished road
Patticake,

What cute little pods! (I am used to seeing full size Cat. pods.)
Old 07-08-2008, 05:39 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhouse Gal View Post
Patticake,

What cute little pods! (I am used to seeing full size Cat. pods.)
Greenhouse Gal, I think they're kind of cute, too! The plants are small as are the blossoms, also. I'm so excited....
Old 07-08-2008, 07:46 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,245 Times in 759 Posts
solay is on a distinguished road
Patti, I'm still here patiently waiting with you. Can't wait to see them once they are flasked.

Jerry, I like the colors of the cross you made. The lip is pretty too. Maybe I don't know much but I'd be happy with them.