Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Flasking and Seed Germination

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Musika
  • 2 Post By orchids4me
  • 2 Post By jsehorn

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2012, 03:06 PM

Musika is on a distinguished road
My first pod!!!

Pod? That is the right word, right? LOL Well just for the fun of it I tried to cross pollinate my orchid and one took!! Both are phal noids. I took the pollen from the purple lip one and pollinated the one with the yellow lip. Then took the pollen from the yellow lip one and pollinated the purple lip one... so they shared germs!!! LOL But the one with the yellow lip is the one that has the pod starting. So what do you call the one that was the "dad" and the one that is the "mom"? LOL Phals take 9ish months right? And does anyone know of a good place to send the pod off to? I know some people would think sending a noid pod off to a lab is a waste of timeand money... but I don't really have a lot of named orchids.

Pollinated on 5/5/12 I think LOL I forgot to write it down what day I did it, but I think it was on the 5th

The "mom"

The "dad"
boxerfan and 1joyceh like this.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 4,422 Times in 3,810 Posts
orchids4me is on a distinguished road
Ok I can help here
The one the pollen came from is the pollen parent and the one you pollinated. Is the pod parent or the one that will grow the capsule/ the seed pod develops is called a capsule... I see you reversed the cross also so again same rule applies its just reversed from the other.
This is a pretty cross of hybirds. I haven't had much luck with selfing clones or crossing clones but a pice of species pollen did the trick for one of my clones. All a learning curve experience for me as I go anyways lol
As for flasking you want a lab to do it you can try Troy for a price. He can do a hybrid cross for you he deals in species. But like I said for a price he will usually do it for someone.
You can email him and ask what it would cost.
He's had some trouble with his web site but I think you can still email him from it he's emailed me yesterday I hope he got my reply lol
His site is
Tcmeyers@troymeyers.com. Click on flasking home page go to bottom hit contact us or email troy which ever it is. He has info pages also but like I said he's got problems this week with his web site and is working on it.
Good luck!!
1joyceh and rosa like this.

Daisy 2003 -2013
Life is too short.... Buy more orchids!!!!

Emmaye
Old 05-12-2012, 05:51 PM

ACK2 is on a distinguished road
Musika, I think that is very cool stuff, congratulations!!!!! Let us know if Troy is able to help you.

" The various contrivances and adaptation of orchids vastly transcend those which the most fertile imagination of the world's most imaginative man could dream up with unlimited time with his disposal."
Darwin
Old 08-05-2012, 08:36 AM

Hinco is on a distinguished road
Congratulations

Have to try it myslef

How long does it take for a pod to grow?
Old 08-05-2012, 08:42 PM
Banned

rlilia is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musika View Post
Pod? That is the right word, right? LOL Well just for the fun of it I tried to cross pollinate my orchid and one took!! Both are phal noids. I took the pollen from the purple lip one and pollinated the one with the yellow lip. Then took the pollen from the yellow lip one and pollinated the purple lip one... so they shared germs!!! LOL But the one with the yellow lip is the one that has the pod starting. So what do you call the one that was the "dad" and the one that is the "mom"? LOL Phals take 9ish months right? And does anyone know of a good place to send the pod off to? I know some people would think sending a noid pod off to a lab is a waste of timeand money... but I don't really have a lot of named orchids.

Pollinated on 5/5/12 I think LOL I forgot to write it down what day I did it, but I think it was on the 5th
FANTASTIC!!! Keep us in the loop!

Lilia
Old 08-05-2012, 08:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinco View Post
Congratulations

Have to try it myslef

How long does it take for a pod to grow?
GOOD QUESTION! I'm all ears for the ANSWER!

Lilia
Old 08-05-2012, 08:51 PM

jsehorn is on a distinguished road
Here's a link to a chart with capsule maturation times for just about everything:

Harvesting Orchid Seeds For Embryo Culture

According to this, it should be about 110 days
boxerfan and rlilia like this.
rlilia (08-05-2012)
Old 08-05-2012, 09:25 PM

mmaggee2001 is on a distinguished road
2010 I had a pod develop on a noid cymbidium, I didn't know how long they took to ripen and I thought when that goes brown I will pick it and do something with it, the same with my kingianums that had seed pods all over them. I was watching all of them very closely and one day I went to check on orchids and all the kingianum pods had opened and all the seed was blown away... the cymbidium was nowhere near opening and I was still watching it, however, I went out one day and the same thing had happened and not a seed in sight. I know if it happens again I will bring it inside and will watch it like a hawk.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmaggee2001 View Post
2010 I had a pod develop on a noid cymbidium, I didn't know how long they took to ripen and I thought when that goes brown I will pick it and do something with it, the same with my kingianums that had seed pods all over them. I was watching all of them very closely and one day I went to check on orchids and all the kingianum pods had opened and all the seed was blown away... the cymbidium was nowhere near opening and I was still watching it, however, I went out one day and the same thing had happened and not a seed in sight. I know if it happens again I will bring it inside and will watch it like a hawk.
Speaking about "bad suprises"!.... Have you thought perhaps to place a little sack around the pod to collect the seed?

110 days just to harvest the seed! Nothing short of patience for those who has it!

Lilia
Old 08-06-2012, 02:25 AM

D3R is on a distinguished road
Congrats!! Keep us posted how exciting.. I can't wait to get at that point!! Good luck

Happy Growing!
David
Old 08-06-2012, 05:21 AM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,236 Posts
1joyceh is on a distinguished road
Emmaye taught me to staple a coffee filter around the pod...to catch all the seed
Old 08-07-2012, 07:25 PM

mmaggee2001 is on a distinguished road
Thank you rlilia and Joyce, if it ever happens again I will put something around it, it must have been a good year in 2010 I didn't have many flower but to have the cymbidium pod and all the pods on the kingianums, conditions must have been just right. I had never seen a cumbidium pod before and probably wont again, however I could be lucky.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:34 PM
Executive Senior Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

PaulB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmaggee2001 View Post
Thank you rlilia and Joyce, if it ever happens again I will put something around it, it must have been a good year in 2010 I didn't have many flower but to have the cymbidium pod and all the pods on the kingianums, conditions must have been just right. I had never seen a cumbidium pod before and probably wont again, however I could be lucky.

Go to this thread a few lines down In Orchid Flasking and Seed Germination:

Here's the Pod, Emmaye

Emmaye shows exactly how to make your little coffee filter catcher. If I could do it, so can you.