Orchid Forum Orchid Care

Orchid Forum Orchid Care (http://www.orchidgeeks.com/forum/)
-   Orchid Flasking and Seed Germination (http://www.orchidgeeks.com/forum/orchid-flasking-and-seed-germination-7/)
-   -   My first deflasking! (http://www.orchidgeeks.com/forum/orchid-flasking-and-seed-germination-7/my-first-deflasking-29251/)

blackvine 02-11-2013 09:58 PM

My first deflasking!

5 Attachment(s)
My husband got me a flask of Brassavola nodosas for Christmas and they were finally ready to deflask. (Actually, I finally got the nerve to do it!) I think I did it right: pic 1 is the flask to the right and the prepared medium to the left; pic 2 is dunking open flask in warm water to get as many babies out as possible; pic 3 is where I had to break the flask to get the rest out; pic 4 – the babies are in a community pot; pic 5 – a nice shade/humidity hood ‘till they get acclimated to life outside the flask womb!! So excited – hope they make it! :fingers crossed:

Ron 02-11-2013 11:15 PM

Hi seems nice size plants, from cultural notes at below they are warm growers so keep them warm, I would prop open the cover a little bit to allow fresh air in and help harden them off, open a bit more each day and after 4 or 5 days can be removed completely
Best of luck as it is an exciting project if all goes well, keep us updated

Some good culture notes at
Brassavola nodosa Culture

orchids4me 02-16-2013 04:03 AM

What kind of medium are you using??
They look great :top:

FlowerOrchidLover 02-16-2013 05:06 AM

Where do you get them flasked seedlings cheap?

blackvine 02-16-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orchids4me (Post 363274)
What kind of medium are you using??
They look great :top:

Emmaye, it's called Hausermann's Fine Bark mix - got it from Hausermann's (natch!) in Villa Park, IL, not too far from me. It has fine bark, sphag, and those little white balls which I constantly forget the name of. They seem to be doing well. They haven't changed much, but it's only been a week. Will post pics when they start to grow!:)

blackvine 02-16-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlowerOrchidLover (Post 363287)
Where do you get them flasked seedlings cheap?

It looks like you are in Singapore, so I'm not sure where you would go. Perhaps Google some places in your city? They're not too expensive here. I paid $45 for this flask. Not bad for about 30 plants!

aloha52 05-07-2013 09:24 PM

Blackvine,

How are your babies doing?

exasperatus2002 05-08-2013 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackvine (Post 362944)
My husband got me a flask of Brassavola nodosas for Christmas and they were finally ready to deflask. (Actually, I finally got the nerve to do it!) I think I did it right: pic 1 is the flask to the right and the prepared medium to the left; pic 2 is dunking open flask in warm water to get as many babies out as possible; pic 3 is where I had to break the flask to get the rest out; pic 4 – the babies are in a community pot; pic 5 – a nice shade/humidity hood ‘till they get acclimated to life outside the flask womb!! So excited – hope they make it! :fingers crossed:

Looks good. They will be more sensitive to humidy till they get some age to them. Mortality can be high based on species and your personal experience. With my new house over the winter, it probably has 10% humidity. My first deflasking was with 3 flasks and I only have 4 babies to show for it. Had to resort to keeping them in a terrarium to maintain the high humidity. But that is due to my individual environmental conditions. One thing I also wish I'd had on hand (local shops didnt have any when I deflasked) was some physan as a precaution. When they started to crash, some of them I think I lost for reasons other then humidity.

blackvine 06-05-2013 11:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, my friends, here's what I can say - they are still alive!! I lost a few teeeeeeeny ones, but here's a pic of the rest. I potted up 29 babies yesterday and they actually look pretty good, though I must say they did not grow much from the day of deflasking: 2/11/13. Not sure if that's normal. But, they look OK, right? This is my first try, so I don't trust my eye. Tell me what you think!!

Ron 06-06-2013 02:13 AM

Hi plants look nice and green, from my personal point of view they are vastly over potted and can lead to problems when watering as their is a lot of potting mix to hold lots of water in.
Have you started to feed them yet, remember baby plants and use the fertilizer very week mix for a few months.
Good luck and good growing!

mayres 06-06-2013 12:47 PM

I just planted up two compots (about same number of plants!) of the same species in fine orchiata bark and will be interested to see how they do compared to yours! Mine don't have nearly as many leaves as yours do. Please update this thread from time to time and I'll try and take a few pics and post mine here as well for comparison! :) Besides the nodosas I also have two compots of Little Stars & cucullata! :) So many "babies" and so much time........for them to grow........makes me wish I was young again - not sure I'll live long enough! :)

mayres 06-07-2013 12:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
My young ones - nodosa & Little Stars and then cucullatas.
Little plants with little roots - I see a LOT of "baby" sitting in my future..............
Attachment 62438
Attachment 62439

blackvine 06-07-2013 11:02 PM

Mayres, they look good! When did you deflask?

mayres 06-08-2013 12:40 PM

These have been deflasked a couple months. Pretty small - I think they could have potentially stayed in flask for quite awhile longer.

mayres 06-08-2013 12:41 PM

Only the pots in green are the recent deflasked plants - brown pots are older seedlings of same

blackvine 06-08-2013 01:12 PM

Great! I'm glad to see someone else with Brassies deflasked a couple months ago and they're still little things. I guess our babies are normal!