Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Flasking and Seed Germination

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2007, 07:51 AM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 5,451 Times in 3,014 Posts
kmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond repute
My First Cross

Well I did it. Tonight I took the plunge and made my first Paph cross. It's actually not original with me though. It is a cross between Paph Crossianum and Paph insigne var albo marginata. This cross was first registered in 1893 as Paph Raphaelii. In about 10 days to 2 weeks I should know if pollination has occured. Attached are pics of the parents. What do you suppose the babies will look like?
Attached Thumbnails
insigne25small.jpg   crossianum5small.jpg  
Old 06-04-2007, 07:54 AM
V.I.P Member

sandra is on a distinguished road
They're going to look just like you Kevin.....moustache and all! I'll get the cigars!

Congratulations....I hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarch View Post
Well I did it. Tonight I took the plunge and made my first Paph cross. It's actually not original with me though. It is a cross between Paph Crossianum and Paph insigne var albo marginata. This cross was first registered in 1893 as Paph Raphaelii. In about 10 days to 2 weeks I should know if pollination has occured. Attached are pics of the parents. What do you suppose the babies will look like?
Old 06-04-2007, 07:59 AM
V.I.P Member

kmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond repute
sandra.....how'd you know I had a moustache?
Old 06-04-2007, 08:02 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 2,835 Times in 1,280 Posts
Anton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of light
And a beard............

Slim, 30s ish dark hair .................
Old 06-04-2007, 08:07 AM
Site Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,356 Posts
fred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond repute
we have our spys kevin hehehe

I hope the plant crossing goes well

all of us good looking blokes have a moustache
Old 06-04-2007, 08:15 AM
Senior Member Photobucket

prisana is a jewel in the roughprisana is a jewel in the roughprisana is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandra View Post
They're going to look just like you Kevin.....moustache and all! I'll get the cigars!

Sandra-- I totally agree..paphs look like a face with moustache and a nose under it...so the "Paph King" would probably have a moustache, understandably. That's what you get for not posting your pic, Kevin we only have our imagination to work with here...

Kevin--I just KNOW it's going to work for you..so congratulation in advance. I wish you wouldn't have to wait (5-7 years? ) to find out what the babies will look like..that seems so long. Patience is a quality I don't possess But I know it's very rewarding , that's why people do it . Let us know how it turns out. fingers crossed.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:31 AM
V.I.P Member

sandra is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarch View Post
sandra.....how'd you know I had a moustache?
Kevin, don't you know that women know everything !!!!!!!
Old 06-04-2007, 10:18 AM
V.I.P Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred View Post
we have our spys kevin hehehe
Aparently so....I shall have to start wearing disguises.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:20 AM
Site Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

fred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond repute
hehehe I do that kevin and i dont even know myself lol
Old 06-04-2007, 10:35 AM

Atriel is on a distinguished road
The parents for the cross are absolutely beautiful!
Please keep us updated.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:38 AM
Site Administrator

Quote=Vivienne] vegamite sandwich? LOL

good one hehehehehe
Old 06-04-2007, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator Photobucket

brookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of light
Congrats, best to go incognito, there are eyes everywhere hee-hee.
Old 06-15-2007, 04:19 AM
V.I.P Member

update on my first cross

back on June 4 made my first Paph cross. Today, 11 days later, I'm happy to say it looks like one of them took. The insigne as pod parent did not take as the flower was too old, but the Crossianum as pod parent seems to have taken as the flower has started to die off quickly but has not yet dropped. This is what I'm looking for, for the flower to fade but not drop off. Fingers crossed! Anton, do you know if Kevin has ever flasked Paphs? I know hw has flasked Phrags.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:16 AM

DDS2007 is on a distinguished road
hi kevin , it's very interesting that you did your first cross , plz keep us updated on the process ,

and i'm sure the new orchid would resemble you
Old 06-15-2007, 07:50 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 2,835 Times in 1,280 Posts
Anton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of light
Yes, Kevin does Paphs, he's got some going at present.

Give him a buzz tomorrow, if you don't have his number let me know, and I'll pass it on.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:44 AM
Executive Senior Member

BillC is on a distinguished road
Time frame from seed to bloom.

Hi Kevin, It will be a spectacular feather in your cap if you succeed in producing the seed and then produce the bloom. I think all the wellwishers who have asked to be updated on your project may not know that the minimum time from seed to bloom is about three years. And that depends on all the factors involved being to advantage. It can take up to five years if things don't go well. Nevertheless, if eventually you can post a pic. of the first bloom we will all be very happy for you.

May the force be with you!!!

Bill
Old 06-15-2007, 05:34 PM
Senior Member Photobucket

prisana is a jewel in the roughprisana is a jewel in the roughprisana is a jewel in the rough
Yeah ! congratulations, now you'll have to wait for the seeds to mature, you can mail one seed to me in the mean time, they look like dust anyway maybe they'll get through and maybe I'll get lucky with just one seed..
Old 06-18-2007, 11:59 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Vivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really nice
Congrats Kevin! This is exciting news to hear.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:47 AM

BluPeaches is on a distinguished road
Soo...whatever happened with this?