Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Flasking and Seed Germination

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Catt Mandu
  • 1 Post By Leafmite
  • 1 Post By gingerhill
  • 1 Post By Bolero

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2016, 08:35 AM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Catt Mandu is on a distinguished road
Keiki hormone products - question for experienced users - timing for use on Phals?

I have KeikiGrow Plus lanolin-based paste from Plant Hormones Canada. The paste is viable, and I have recently used it to stimulate another spike on a Phal.

Unfortunately, I have not been too successful at using this product to actually produce a keiki.

I have a Phal that I would like to propagate - P. ELEGANT DEBORAH (Syn. Taida Pearl) that is currently in bloom. Last bud opened maybe 2 or 3 weeks ago.

My understanding (from reading on the internet) is that stimulation of the nodes closest to the flowers have a better chance of producing a spike, while nodes further down on the stem have a better chance of producing a keiki (if this is incorrect, please let me know). Also, I've heard that allowing too many nodes to develop keikis can stress the plant; best to limit it to 2 or 3 keikis and provide ample water and adequate fertilizer while the keikis are growing.

Here is my main question: How old should the spike be before I attempt to induce keiki formation? Should I do now while in full bloom? Wait until some flowers drop? Wait until all flowers drop?

Opinions appreciated - especially from folks that have succeeded in using hormone products to produce keikis.
Old 02-01-2016, 03:51 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 3,205 Times in 1,285 Posts
mayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of light
I've had some good luck - maybe 75 (keiki) to 25 (subspike). I'm in fact starting another now (about 2 weeks) and have a node already enlarging - will see which I get! I have not actually done a study to determine if there is any rhyme nor reason to which you get or where is the best location to try - will give this some thought moving forward........Great questions!
Old 02-01-2016, 05:45 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanks for the reply!

After I posted, I found this article on Repotme by James Brasch, the producer of keikigrow plus:
Mobile Site Preview

He indicates that the last flower on the spike should be open, but after that it should be OK to treat the nodes. Also, he prefers the second node from the bottom for producing a keiki: higher that the 5th node and you will get a spike, the lowest node apparently does not usually make a keiki.

Following that advice, I've treated the 2nd from the bottom node as suggested. We'll see what happens! I'll probably try this on some other plants too.
RHJ likes this.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:16 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,111 Times in 1,016 Posts
Leafmite is on a distinguished road
Good luck! I hope you get some lovely baby plants.
Catt Mandu likes this.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:24 AM

gingerhill is on a distinguished road
I never used it on Phals, but I treated a couple of dying den.phals. by putting it on the top most nodes of the canes. Even the old brown canes produced keikis.
Catt Mandu likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to gingerhill For This Useful Post:
Catt Mandu (02-04-2016)
Old 02-04-2016, 07:30 AM
V.I.P Member

Ginger, I like the idea of using the keiki paste on other non-Phalaenopsis orchids! I have a Paphiopedilum that has remained a single-growth plant, and have considered trying to stimulate new leads on that plant. I'm also thinking of trying it on Oeceoclades and Colmanara back bulb divisions.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:49 AM

gingerhill is on a distinguished road
I would try it on anything you would like to propagate . I don't think it would harm anything if you didn't get a growth, I don't think it would hurt the plant.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:23 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 3,432 Times in 1,258 Posts
Bolero is on a distinguished road
I haven't used it on Phals but I have used it on hard to reflower Parvisepilum Paphs.

It seems to work and produce new growths on Paphs. I find it hard to reflower Parvi's so it was a blessing to find it and overall it is ok.

I am sure others can help with Phals.
Catt Mandu likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bolero For This Useful Post:
Catt Mandu (09-26-2017)