Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Flasking and Seed Germination

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By 1joyceh
  • 2 Post By exasperatus2002
  • 1 Post By orchids4me

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 12:16 AM

cutefish707 is on a distinguished road
I have 4 Phalaenopsis's that have growing seed capsules...

Hello all! I am new to this forum but the website name very much fit what I am feeling

I have 4 growing seed capsules and they have been growing for a couple months now but I have started to notice a change and I wanted to see if it is normal or if I should be worried or if its getting ready to open or what! (this is my first time doing this)

In the center of the flower where the pollination took place it is starting to turn a gray color...is this normal?? and when it does open how do I keep the seeds and for how long before I sow them?

Also I have been doing research and I am reading that I need to sow, and flask my seeds once the capsule has opened....I am also reading that this will be difficult and survival rate will be low if at all.

Is is possible to maybe split the seeds from each capsule and send them out to a lab and keep the other half to try at home for the experience and to see if I can get any of them to grow. How many seeds do you put in each flask?

Any info on this or where to purchase the equipment would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks so much!!
Attached Thumbnails
006.jpg   005.jpg  

Last edited by cutefish707; 06-18-2013 at 12:21 AM.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:02 AM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,236 Posts
1joyceh is on a distinguished road
Hi and welcome to the forum cutefish707!
There are many threads here that answer your questions....
One to start with would be : http://www.orchidgeeks.com/forum/orc...by-step-2.html
just type in key words you want to find information on in the SEARCH engine at the top of the page, and you will find a ton of information.
Good luck with your project. It is a fun and exciting experience
cutefish707 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1joyceh For This Useful Post:
cutefish707 (06-21-2013)
Old 06-18-2013, 04:11 PM
V.I.P Member

exasperatus2002 is on a distinguished road
Thanks -- 1joyceh for refering to my project. Alot of people helped me thru it. Alot of invaluable information in that thread.

Cutefish707- Congratulations. Your pods will start changing color as it ripens and starts to dehisc. My project was with a Cattleya hybrid & not a Phal. So I cant say how long yours takes to ripen. But I would wrap them with a coffee filter just incase you miss it dehisc'ing like I almost did. I took lots of pics & documented everything. Theres millions of seeds per pod. They look like fine sawdust. You can save one pod & send it out or, as I did since I did the dry seed method instead of green pod, I removed all the seed & sent that out to the lab. So you certainly can retain some for yourself to try. DIY flasking has its challenges because of risk of contamination from mold. So give it a shot. Check out youtube they have video of it there. And search our forums theres good info here as well on diy flasking. And keep us posted. We all love baby pictures.
1joyceh and cutefish707 like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to exasperatus2002 For This Useful Post:
cutefish707 (06-21-2013)
Old 06-18-2013, 07:46 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,236 Posts
1joyceh is on a distinguished road
It was a great thread exasperatus2002, I had read it when I came to the forum, and learned so much!
The Following User Says Thank You to 1joyceh For This Useful Post:
cutefish707 (06-21-2013)
Old 06-20-2013, 12:34 AM
Super Moderator Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 4,422 Times in 3,810 Posts
orchids4me is on a distinguished road
If going to flask from dry seed the capsules take about 6 months for Phals to mature star keeping a close eye for changes around 5 Months if it doesn't abort before then (this happens sometimes)
unless your planning on doing the green cap method... i don't do green cap method with mine as my personal experience with green cap seed maturity is decresed lower yeild to work with. But some prefere this method over dry seed flasking.
cutefish707 likes this.

Daisy 2003 -2013
Life is too short.... Buy more orchids!!!!

Emmaye
The Following User Says Thank You to orchids4me For This Useful Post:
cutefish707 (06-21-2013)
Old 06-21-2013, 03:29 PM

Thank you so much for the info!! I am really excited to try it. Even if it doesn't work I can always try again. Do you know a good place in the US to send seeds?
Old 06-21-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exasperatus2002 View Post
Thanks -- 1joyceh for refering to my project. Alot of people helped me thru it. Alot of invaluable information in that thread.

Cutefish707- Congratulations. Your pods will start changing color as it ripens and starts to dehisc. My project was with a Cattleya hybrid & not a Phal. So I cant say how long yours takes to ripen. But I would wrap them with a coffee filter just incase you miss it dehisc'ing like I almost did. I took lots of pics & documented everything. Theres millions of seeds per pod. They look like fine sawdust. You can save one pod & send it out or, as I did since I did the dry seed method instead of green pod, I removed all the seed & sent that out to the lab. So you certainly can retain some for yourself to try. DIY flasking has its challenges because of risk of contamination from mold. So give it a shot. Check out youtube they have video of it there. And search our forums theres good info here as well on diy flasking. And keep us posted. We all love baby pictures.
So would you say the gray part in the middle is normal? The capsule itself is still the same color as the rest of the spike and I am not sure of the exact time since pollination good lesson for next time...would it be smart to wrap coffee filter around now or should I wait till it starts to turn brown?
Thank you so much for all the info
Old 06-21-2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchids4me View Post
If going to flask from dry seed the capsules take about 6 months for Phals to mature star keeping a close eye for changes around 5 Months if it doesn't abort before then (this happens sometimes)
unless your planning on doing the green cap method... i don't do green cap method with mine as my personal experience with green cap seed maturity is decresed lower yeild to work with. But some prefere this method over dry seed flasking.
So will it just open early if it aborts? Also I see you are local Do you know where I can get the flasking and media that I need to do this or is this something I will need to get online?

Have you had any successful seedlings from flasking?

Thanks so much for the info, very much appreciated!
Old 06-21-2013, 10:43 PM
V.I.P Member

the two pics you have posted look like fine pods that are still maturing to me. How long ago did you notice they were pollinated? If it aborts, it should all just dry up like a dead bud.

The orchid mall is a good directory for alot of stuff. try here for supplies..
The Orchid Mall - Services, Supplies & Software
Old 06-22-2013, 05:11 AM

SoopRMike is on a distinguished road
I have a question. How did you get your phals fertilized? Do they grow outside and some insect came along and pollinated them, or did you do it yourself? I've "dissected" a blossom a few times and found those two yellow pollen capsules with the sticky flap, but I never knew where to put them or how to accomplish pollination...LOL...I'm an orchid virgin! Care to share the details?
Old 06-22-2013, 02:26 PM
V.I.P Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoopRMike View Post
I have a question. How did you get your phals fertilized? Do they grow outside and some insect came along and pollinated them, or did you do it yourself? I've "dissected" a blossom a few times and found those two yellow pollen capsules with the sticky flap, but I never knew where to put them or how to accomplish pollination...LOL...I'm an orchid virgin! Care to share the details?
If your working with Phals then heres a great video clip for you..

Orchid Hand Pollination 2 - YouTube
Old 06-22-2013, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 4,422 Times in 3,810 Posts
orchids4me is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutefish707 View Post
So will it just open early if it aborts? Also I see you are local Do you know where I can get the flasking and media that I need to do this or is this something I will need to get online?

Have you had any successful seedlings from flasking?

Thanks so much for the info, very much appreciated!
If it aborts I may not be viable and usually doesn't open just yellows and falls off.
media you can get from Arron Hicks site he's the only one I know and purchase from this side of the states OSP orchid seed bank project...
we have another member here that hasn't been around in a while, he has a 3 partYouTube video on flasking. search orchid seed flasking on youyube and he should come up on there his name is frank.
Good luck!!

Daisy 2003 -2013
Life is too short.... Buy more orchids!!!!

Emmaye

Tags
capsule, germination, seeds