Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Flasking and Seed Germination

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By Catt Mandu
  • 1 Post By Ron
  • 1 Post By paphman910
  • 1 Post By 2woodensticks
  • 1 Post By plucker
  • 1 Post By tropQLD

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2012, 04:38 PM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Catt Mandu is on a distinguished road
Handy intro link for flasking

I've always been curious about flasking and may give it a try.

I've already done a 'self' cross of the plant in my avatar (Slc. Kauai Starbright 'VI' x C. Chocolate Drop 'Kodama'), pollinated 12-13-2012, it seems to have taken (flower fading, ovary remains green & firm, slight swelling). From what I've read, I have about 120 days from that date to learn enough to give this a try. I thought this self might be a nice place to start, as I could end up with anything between bright clear yellows (Slc. Kauai Starbright 'VI') or glossy reds (C. Chocolate Drop 'Kodama').

I came across the following link, which gives a lot of information for the beginner: Home Orchid Flasking
For those of you that flask - is the information given there a good way to get started?

Links to other "flasking for beginners" sites would be appreciated!
naoki and jsessler like this.
2woodensticks (01-21-2013), naoki (12-20-2012)
Old 12-20-2012, 05:37 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 3,967 Times in 1,720 Posts
Ron is on a distinguished road
Hi had a look at the site and it seems to cover all the bases, good luck to your venture!
remember key to success is cleanness! sterilize every thing possible
Enjoy the process
Catt Mandu likes this.

My friend Missy
Good growing, Ron
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron For This Useful Post:
Catt Mandu (12-20-2012)
Old 12-20-2012, 05:43 PM

paphman910 is on a distinguished road
My friend who grows the best Miltoniopsis in Canada told me that he uses H2O2 to sterilise seeds and drill a hole in the pickle jar and insert a rubber hose tubing with non absorbent cotton cocked into it. He then injects the syringe with the seeds through the cotton.

Paphman910
Catt Mandu likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to paphman910 For This Useful Post:
Catt Mandu (12-20-2012)
Old 12-20-2012, 10:28 PM
V.I.P Member

Ron - point well taken about sterile conditions! I will do my best.

paphman910, thanks for the note about H2O2 and seed injection method. I was also thinking about using jars or wide-mouth bottles instead of flasks, just to keep the costs down.

I will probably document my attempts with some photos from time to time. If I get some green stuff growing (that isn't mold), I will eventually post some pictures!!
Ron (12-20-2012)
Old 01-21-2013, 04:55 PM

2woodensticks is on a distinguished road
i am not there yet..but will have to try one day..quit similar as tissue culture in bananas..well not the seed part but the growing medium and sterile environment..is temp. a big factor when seeds start to germinate or to get them to germinate??thanks
Catt Mandu likes this.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:31 PM
V.I.P Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2woodensticks View Post
i am not there yet..but will have to try one day..quit similar as tissue culture in bananas..well not the seed part but the growing medium and sterile environment..is temp. a big factor when seeds start to germinate or to get them to germinate??thanks
I'm not sure about temperature, it is not emphasized that much in many of the directions that I have seen, except to say that flasks should be kept near the temperatures for growing the species you are trying to grow, or a default of 25 C.

Light level recommendations seem to be on the low side for the most part. Not dark; instead, shaded, or artificial light indoors.

Others that have actually done this may offer better suggestions?

The pods that I have should mature & be flasked mid-April. For the first month or 2, I will grow indoors, under lights. after that, I may create a temporary shelf underneath the shade of my outdoor grow space, or possibly in another shaded outdoor location. If I think that will not be enough light, or too much light, I'll stick to growing under lights indoors.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:21 PM

plucker is on a distinguished road
You can use any clear jar that you have had food in. i.e. Jam jar, pickles, etc. Just have a look in the cupboard/fridge and see what will fit your needs. You will need to sterilize with the media before you can use it, which will kill all fungis/bacterias.

For a breathing vent, you can use 3m Micropore tape found in most chemists or drug stores for a dollar or 2. Just put 3 layers over the hole that you make in the lid.
Catt Mandu likes this.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:47 AM

tropQLD is on a distinguished road
That site looks pretty much right.

One thing, if you go to all poly flasks you can sterilise using the microwave - much more convenient. Mix the agar and nutrients cold in a blender and then poor straight into the flasks. Pretest a flask with plain water (i do 6 mins on high) to see how much evaporates and then top up your flasks with media with the this amount (so the final concentration is as intended).

Loosen, but don't remove the lid, mist some water in the microwave (helps make 'wet heat' so the entire microwave is sterilised) and zap (one flask at a time). Wait till the flask has cooled right down (hour or so) before opening the door and screwing down the lid immediately.

This works great for small lots - for larger batches an autoflask or pressure cooker is more convenient.

Main thing is, just give it a try with the view you will make a few mistakes but nothing lost and experience gained. A bit of care with hygiene and you should be right.

I just keep mine indoors near a well lit window, but no direct sun at all. They get most of the nutrition from the sugar in the media so don't need much light to grow.
Catt Mandu likes this.