Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Flasking and Seed Germination

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2007, 10:07 PM

sticksnbones is on a distinguished road
Ghost Orchid Flask "HelP"

I need help.
I purchased a Ghost Orchid Flask from Ebay and I think that I have gotten in way over my head. It has several colonies and it looks really healthy. Can anyone give me some information on my next steps? I am new at this and I am really excited to see if i can successfully accomplish growing my ghost. Any info would be a big help. Pics will come shortly. Thank you.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:14 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 1,954 Times in 1,166 Posts
patticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of light
Hang on- Someone will help you! I'm new to orchids, but have found this forum GREAT!
Good luck!
Old 12-27-2007, 10:34 PM
Site Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 3,229 Times in 1,356 Posts
fred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond repute
Welcome to the forum sticksnbones
patticake is right there
can you also please update your Profile with your Location as this will help us to help you with the right advice.
As we have members from all over the world with different growing conditions

there is no need for double posting just try to be a little patience all questions get answered pretty quick here.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:01 PM
V.I.P Member

exasperatus2002 is on a distinguished road
I like the ghost orchid alot though I dont own one. good luck on your endevour and dont panic Theres alot of really talented orchidphiles here that Im sure can help you. Please keep us updated with pics so we can learn along with you.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:02 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,239 Times in 532 Posts
jerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond repute
raising orchids from flasks is not a beginners project and the Ghost orchid is doubly hard since it has no leaves or pseudobulbs.

The plant seems to do best in Florida when grown in a wet environment like near a pond or stream and it seems to like citrus trees.

It is a temperamental plant which will take a long time to flower and even then can go years between flowers.

The few people I know who raise it do it for the challenge. There are many more rewarding orchids that are easier to grow.

The entire plant is a root that will grow on a branch. Since it is bare root and no pseudobulb for reserve water, it needs to be on a regular watering schedule which can be several times a day in a dry environment
Old 12-28-2007, 04:39 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,030 Times in 630 Posts
digitalgate is on a distinguished road
i use to have a ghost orchids growing on a bark. It flowered once and died a few month
after that due to neglect. Man, i miss that plant.
Oh, if anyone have extra , can send it my way. Oh, that going to be expensive.
the shipping cost is about U.S.$40 to my area. Just wishful thinking.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:47 AM

sticksnbones is on a distinguished road
I live in South Florida and have at this point about 30-40 orchids.
I have several large oaks on my property aswell as fruit trees that the orchids seem to love. Thanks for all your help so far and i will be posting pictures shortly.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:28 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

articuno75 is on a distinguished road
I wanted to see about raising one and did some research. Some people mount them on wood, put them in apothacary jars with pebbles and a little bit of water to cover the stones on bottom. This provides the moisture and stagnant air that they require. The only battle that you will have to fight is mold and temperature control. These guys don't like moving air. I hope this helps.

All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed: in life that which is unnoticed has the most power.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:09 PM

Aleksa is on a distinguished road
Articuno, i have found very tifferent thoughts about air and Ghost orchid. There are some growers that give them completely stagnant air, and some are putting ventilators inside of terrarium. I think that OakHill Gardens keep them in room with Vandas and there is high humidity and a lot of air movement.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:00 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

articuno75 is on a distinguished road
Aleksa, do their orchids bloom? I found in all the research that the plants have to have very little to no movement of air for proper blooming. Do you know if the vents are on bottom or top of the terriarium? The ones that I seen had vents on bottom, but the plants eventually suffered I'm still looking into this, that's why I haven't bothered with buying one just yet. (I'm waiting to become more of a pro at this for fear of sending the poor thing to orchid heaven before it has a chance to even prosper )

All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed: in life that which is unnoticed has the most power.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:37 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 5,451 Times in 3,014 Posts
kmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond repute
digitalgate, it would be illegal for most of us to send orchids to you anyway as doing so would require CITES and other permits.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:55 PM
V.I.P Member

i know , just wishful "Christmas wish"
Old 12-29-2007, 06:17 PM
Member Photobucket

Ellen is on a distinguished road
The one ghost orchid that I've seen blooming in someone's greenhouse was in a fairly exposed, medium light area with good humidity and good air movement. It was growing on a piece of wood, as I recall, and looked really healthy, with a clear growing point and lots of roots hanging down. In real life the flower looks just like the pictures!

I'm also growing a couple of different rootless orchids the "ghost orchid" (Polyrrhiza lindenii) I've had about a year, growing on a piece of grapevine. It started as a small dense mass of roots with no clear growing point, but has slowly lost some roots and extended others so that maybe one of these days it will straighten itself out into a well-defined plant. The other one is a Chiloschista usneoides. It has a single clear growing point, lots of good roots, and is in spike right now!!! It is hanging next to the Polyrrhiza, in a shady, humid spot with fairly good air circulation.

I haven't deflasked ghost orchids, but would think that you wouldn't want to try to break them up too much unless you can identify the center growth point - just mount the clumps and see what happens. You might also want to contact the person who sold you the flask and get some advice.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:20 PM

rmt135 is on a distinguished road
Hello Digitalgate,

You know anywhere in JB that sell ghost orchid - then I can pop over to your place & give it to you. It could be cheaper.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:44 AM
V.I.P Member

sorry, the ghost orchids i got is from tissue culture that came from NUS. In another word
i need to contact the professor who gave me the last time. I killed his orchids.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:33 PM
Executive Senior Member Photobucket

arleneg is a jewel in the rougharleneg is a jewel in the rougharleneg is a jewel in the rougharleneg is a jewel in the rough
sticksnbones,

What type of ghost orchid did you buy? The types I know of is the Polyrrhiza (Florida ghost orchid) and Chilochista (Asian ghost orchid). So far, I haven't heard any success stories from people I know who has the Polyrrhiza type. I have a Chilochista usenoides, and it's in spike. I give it medium light and good air ventilation.

I agree with Ellen. Contact the person you bought the flask from and get some advice.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:50 PM
V.I.P Member

jerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond repute
digitalgate and Kmarch shipping flasks internationally is not too difficult nor too expensive.

You do not have any health issues since the flask is sterile. This avoids all the dipping and medium removal required of larger plants. You only need to get a cites certificate and mail it.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:25 PM
V.I.P Member

thanks very much jerry.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:33 PM
Senior Member Photobucket

prisana is a jewel in the roughprisana is a jewel in the roughprisana is a jewel in the rough
I have a ghost orchid ( or you can call it a clump of roots !!) I keep it in my shower where it's warm and moist and the air is pretty stagnant with a little light shines through a fogged glass window..I'll let you know how it likes it in there..here's a pic.
Attached Thumbnails
new-species-orchids-011.jpg  
Old 02-15-2008, 03:39 PM

BlakeeBoo is an unknown quantity at this point
that all they are little clumps of roots cool are they not they call them ghost because you may not even realize they are there then out comes a beautiful flower!
Old 03-24-2008, 12:15 AM
V.I.P Member

The indians gave the orchid the name ghost because in the dark areas of the swamp you would not see a plant but just a white ghost like flower floating in air.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:15 PM

Oh... I am so fascinated with this plant. I'm seeking it for a long time but i can't find any grower who will send it in Europe... Do you know where could I get it?
Old 03-24-2008, 02:24 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

jay is on a distinguished road
Aleska - Not sure if this company will ship overseas, but they do produce flasks of Polyrrhiza lindenii (Ghost Orchid).
Ghost Orchid Flasks
Hope this helps you get closer.

Last edited by kmarch; 03-24-2008 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay View Post
Aleska - Not sure if this company will ship overseas, but they do produce flasks of Polyrrhiza lindenii (Ghost Orchid).
Ghost Orchid Flasks
Hope this helps you get closer.
Thank you jay... I will ask them...

Last edited by kmarch; 03-24-2008 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:36 AM

Don1 is on a distinguished road
You have a flask of what some orchidist would call a difficult plant to grow. Many successfully grow the Ghost Orchid in an Edwardian Case. Remember tat the Ghost Orchid is indigenous to the Everglades in Florida.

Your next step in the flasking end of it will be to replate the orchids into another flask that has a maintenance medium so they can grow larger or if they are sufficiently large already, to put them in a community pot. Aaron Hicks has a great booklet out on Orchid Seed Germination that you might want to get a copy of. Keep them under florescent lights until you decide.