Orchid Forum Orchid Care

Orchid Forum Orchid Care (http://www.orchidgeeks.com/forum/)
-   Orchid Flasking and Seed Germination (http://www.orchidgeeks.com/forum/orchid-flasking-and-seed-germination-7/)
-   -   Flask now or wait for spring (http://www.orchidgeeks.com/forum/orchid-flasking-and-seed-germination-7/flask-now-or-wait-for-spring-30100/)

Adrian72 05-16-2013 10:48 PM

Flask now or wait for spring

We are in late autumn now and I have four flasks on their way.

Should continue to let them grow until spring to deflask then or can I deflask in winter if the seedlings are kept inside? ?

cheers

Adrian

kip 05-16-2013 11:50 PM

There's no easy way to answer that question without knowing what type of orchids are in the flask, and how far along they are.
Most flasks are shipped ready to deflask, so it might not be possible to wait for spring to deflask them. Post pictures when the flasks arrive, and somebody will be able to tell you what to do then.

Ron 05-17-2013 12:50 AM

Hi as asked above, what type of plants are they.
I just did 3 flasks of cymbidiums that were ordered last Feb and arrived 2 weeks ago.
Not the best time to deflask them but they were big plants and most likely not last to spring.
About 4 weeks or so ago I got 2 flasks of Paphiopedilums see at http://www.orchidgeeks.com/forum/orc...tml#post369690
They were also late in the growing season but I do not often get a chance at such plants at this price, they are on the hotbed at 23 C in the greenhouse so should be no problem
But in saying this spring is the best time.

If the agar is still in good condition they can be kept inside in a warm brightly lit place until spring but if from overseas by air risk contamination due to changes in air pressure around the flasks!

Adrian72 05-19-2013 10:05 PM

Hello, thanks for the replies. These are the species I will be getting.
1. Stanhopea nigroviolacea
2. Sarc cecileae
3. Brassia giroudiana
4. Cattleya schilleriana

cheers

Adrian

Ron 05-20-2013 01:51 AM

2. Sarc cecileae
3. Brassia giroudiana
4. Cattleya schilleriana
Hi if you are living near the coast and frost free climate perhaps you could give 2. Sarc cecileae a go if not much agar left in the jar, (PS I would deflask them on to a tray of gravel the size of a pea and leave for a year or so, they hate any type of potting mix and prefer to grow on rocks etc).

The other 3 I have not deflasked although I have done some Cattley a species, they all seem to love the warm of spring summer to deflasks.
If you can supply some bottom heat and they needed to be deflasked do it now but I would like to wait to spring.
How much agar is left in the bottom of each flask.

3. Brassia giroudiana
4. Cattleya schilleriana

Adrian72 05-20-2013 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron (Post 371779)
2. Sarc cecileae
3. Brassia giroudiana
4. Cattleya schilleriana
Hi if you are living near the cost and frost free climate perhaps you could give 2. Sarc cecileae a go if not much agar left in the jar, (PS I would deflask them on to a tray of gravel the size of a pea and leave for a year or so, they hate any type of potting mix and prefer to grow on rocks etc).

The other 3 I have not deflasked although I have done some Cattley a species, they all seem to love the warm of spring summer to deflasks.
If you can supply some bottom heat and they needed to be deflasked do it now but I would like to wait to spring.
How much agar is left in the bottom of each flask.

3. Brassia giroudiana
4. Cattleya schilleriana

Hi Ron, thanks for getting back to me. They are coming from Ian at Burleigh Park Orchid Species. his communication with me was to wait until spring as they all need more growing before deflask. so i'll put them in a warm spot away from direct sun and wait it out until spring. seems to be the safest option.
cheers
Adrian

Ron 05-20-2013 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrian72 (Post 371782)
Hi Ron, thanks for getting back to me. They are coming from Ian at Burleigh Park Orchid Species. his communication with me was to wait until spring as they all need more growing before deflask. so i'll put them in a warm spot away from direct sun and wait it out until spring. seems to be the safest option.
cheers
Adrian

Hi Have bought flasks from Ian over the years and they usually come with plenty of agar, I would take Ians advice and await to spring, best of luck with them all

Ron 03-13-2014 06:21 AM

Hi time has passed and if you do not mind, can you update us on your de-flasking of your 2. Sarc cecileae
My flask from Ian just arrived and it would be nice to see how yours are going.
I will post my deflasking in a new page plus photos in the next few days
Cheerio