Orchid Forum Orchid Care

Orchid Forum Orchid Care (http://www.orchidgeeks.com/forum/)
-   Orchid Flasking and Seed Germination (http://www.orchidgeeks.com/forum/orchid-flasking-and-seed-germination-7/)
-   -   dendrobium pollination (http://www.orchidgeeks.com/forum/orchid-flasking-and-seed-germination-7/dendrobium-pollination-30864/)

2woodensticks 09-14-2013 09:48 PM

dendrobium pollination

1 Attachment(s)
2nd try at pollinating this noid den. is a hard cane with light green flower..just like to pollinate and want to see a den. pod..just wont take,i have tried twice and the flowers I pollinate just die off and all the other flowers are just fine..are certain dens not possible??are they too crossbred??cane keikeis only way to go??thanks..should I try to pollinate with another den. a different one..

tropQLD 09-14-2013 10:05 PM

Yes some crosses just won't take or only occasionally take (with few seeds resulting).

Lots of polyploids in modern dendrobiums too which complicates things further.

Sometimes they pod will seem to take and drop off about a month later if the parents aren't compatible.

plucker 09-15-2013 07:43 AM

Put yourself in insect mode. What would make you attracted to the flower.

If it has some kind of fragrance, that pollinate when it smells.

If not, I find the middle of the day is fairly successful, but I am not dealing with complex hybrids like this one which could be sterile!

Also use the pollen from 1 flower onto another.

Some of my species last year would not take regardless. Others took but produced non viable seed. Mostly Dens are accommodating - if the season suits them.

2woodensticks 09-15-2013 11:06 AM

thanks much..maybe I will stick to phal..they seem to pollinate readily..but am going to try my arachnis and vanda x arachnis ,if I can get them to bloom ..only had a month but so far so good..thanks to all

syndywindy 09-15-2013 12:03 PM

I just started the student judging program and my first presentation will be on dendrobium hybrids. So far in my early research, I have found, certain species( or hybrids of a particular species) will only cross with certain others. Depending on what is being crossed, it was found that the primary hybrids were sometimes slower growing than the species. bud drop was the most serious problem. The primary hybrids were very much infertile. Or mules as they have been called. there is a hybridizer by the name of Phil Spence who mentions it took up to 50 attempts to get a pod for a second generation and that produced only a few viable seedlings.
Not sure this answered your question, but hopefully you find it helpful.

plucker 09-16-2013 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2woodensticks (Post 379828)
thanks much..maybe I will stick to phal..they seem to pollinate readily..but am going to try my arachnis and vanda x arachnis ,if I can get them to bloom ..only had a month but so far so good..thanks to all

It sounds harder than it actually is.
Germination in flasks is easy and quick too.

Just remember that the Den group is rather large and while some have been bred to mule stage, and some are incompatible, quite a few aren't.

Who knows, the current Phal breeding could face the same problems.

tropQLD 09-16-2013 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by syndywindy (Post 379830)
There is a hybridizer by the name of Phil Spence who mentions it took up to 50 attempts to get a pod for a second generation and that produced only a few viable seedlings.

Phil Spence is arguably the best / most innovative breeder in Australia in recent times. I certainly would believe he would pursue 50 attempts to get a couple of seedlings that might be ok :).

terra_australis 09-16-2013 08:10 AM

I was given a tip for crossing dendrobiums from different sections. Aparrently it helps to dissolve the wax coating on the pollen with lighter fluid before applying to the stigmatic surface.

tropQLD 09-17-2013 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terra_australis (Post 379866)
I was given a tip for crossing dendrobiums from different sections. Aparrently it helps to dissolve the wax coating on the pollen with lighter fluid before applying to the stigmatic surface.

I would be very interested to know more about this.

Andrew 09-17-2013 10:56 AM

Quote:

Could you expand on this, Dan? How to you treat the pollen? Do you just detach the pollinia, squirt it with lighter fluid and let the fluid evaporate off? Are there any particular intersectionals this is recommended for or does in apply to any intersectional Den crosses.

terra_australis 09-19-2013 05:40 AM

Yes Andrew, that is the process I was given. I'll try to find out more however. I did try it myself but had no success... possibly because the pollen was too old, possibly because I used the wrong lighter fluid and possibly because those plants were just incompatible.

plucker 09-19-2013 04:45 PM

Quote:

This is interesting, and could be a solution. Any ideas on what type of fluid in particular. Chemical name would be good.

terra_australis 09-20-2013 07:42 AM

OK, so I'm told it came from an article Phil Spence wrote for the AOR. If my friend can find it he said he'd send me the relevant details. The impression I got was that "lighter fluid" referred to naptha... that stuff you put in zippo lighters.

I had a bit of a hunt online and I couldn't find any reference to using this. I did find some references to using isopropyl alcohol to remove the waxy coating in aid of pollen studies so that might work just as well.