Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Flasking and Seed Germination

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2008, 10:46 PM

acesshadow is on a distinguished road
deflasking

hello all. may be in over my head but i have purchased a couple of cat. flasks. I have read lots on the internet and seems like everyone has a different procedure, different potting medium. All suggestions appreciated.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:58 AM
Member Photobucket

Ellen is on a distinguished road
My 2-cents worth: Don't deflask too soon. Wait until the plants have good root support. Cattleyas often "autoclone" in flask, so you may see a lot of little brushy plants growing up around the larger ones. If that has happened, don't try to separate all the little ones, just keep them with the big ones or in clumps of their own. When you receive the flasks, post pics, and people here on the forum can better advise you on how to proceed.

If you haven't already, you should read about deflasking on Troy Meyers' website (Meyers Conservatory). Go to the informational pages and you will see a link called "Caring for seedlings removed from flasks ...". This has a lot of good information on how to deflask.

Good luck!
Old 05-23-2008, 03:09 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 1,954 Times in 1,166 Posts
patticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of light
Hi, and welcome! I haven't done a flask as of yet, but several of our members have. FlaCo had a great thread on this. Check the old threads. there is some great info there!