Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Flasking and Seed Germination

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2009, 10:22 AM
Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,325 Times in 278 Posts
Forever-mango is on a distinguished road
Deflasked...now what?

I just deflasked my Dendrobium speciosum Australia Goldrush 'bonsai'. Its a cross between Dendrobium speciosum 'Herberton' Gold & Dendrobium Yondi Tina 'Goliath' FCC. Was originally getting 5 in the flask but owner was happy to send me 28 in a flask. I was also given a deflasking kit which had mini pine bark mixed with perlite and charcoal. I deflasked the plants and planted them in individual 50mm pots and have them sitting in a foam box with plastic on top. Im watering them daily with water mixed with Previcure fungicide. I was told to put under 70% shade cloth with no plastic over the top. But wanted to be sure so I placed it in the bathroom where its always warm and have it wrapped in plastic to keep it in a humid environment.

I was wondering, when should i move it outside for them to have a some fresh air.

Regards
Mango
Old 10-10-2009, 10:52 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 1,954 Times in 1,166 Posts
patticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of light
I would start removing the plastic for longer periods each day, so they get used to fresh air. You don't want to kill 'em with kindness. (rot and mold) They look great!
Old 10-10-2009, 11:51 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 6,637 Times in 2,844 Posts
Brooke is on a distinguished road
Ditto what Patti said about the fresh air but watering every day might be a problem. I would really be surprised if your potting mix dried out every day, particularly with no fresh air exchange. I would also cut back on the fungicide treatment.

Brooke
Old 10-10-2009, 06:22 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 3,967 Times in 1,720 Posts
Ron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Dendrobium speciosum 'Herberton' Gold & Dendrobium Yondi Tina 'Goliath' FCC.
I have grown this cross to flowering. Once you have settle in the plants they can go outside in your shade house.
I would not keep the cover on for more that a few days, if you are still experiencing the cold spell keep them inside for another week.
I gather these came from Wain T.
Expect a wait of 3 to 7 years before you see flowers, they should give you some top quality flowers as my lot gave me.
I have never used 'Previcure fungicide'. But I would not over do it, maybe only once a week for the first month. I use 'Fongarid' fungicide at the time of deflasking and as it is system I never use it again on the small plants.
Just my penny worth, what did they flask seller tell you.
Cheerio
Ron
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ron For This Useful Post:
Forever-mango (10-10-2009), zaeem (05-23-2010)
Old 10-10-2009, 06:59 PM
Member Photobucket

Thanks guys. Ron, they came from Wain T. He told me once potted I can place straight away in my shade house. The thing is i have no plastic over the shade house as yet. Just the shade cloth. So is it recommended to take the plastic off and place under the shade house now? And water with rain water instead of the the fungicide?

Its been raining and temps has been very cold in sydney for the past week. My other speciosum seems to grow well in this weather so far, just scared the newly deflasked will die outside.

Also is it worth getting my hands on some Dendrobium Yondi Tina 'Goliath' FCC since i now know the guy who owns the plant.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:00 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 5,451 Times in 3,014 Posts
kmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond repute
I'm with those above who have recommended removing the plastic. The lack of good air circulation is, in my opinion more harmful than a lack of humidity. In the bush these little guys experience a lot of variation in humidity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever-mango View Post
Dendrobium speciosum Australia Goldrush 'bonsai'. Its a cross between Dendrobium speciosum 'Herberton' Gold & Dendrobium Yondi Tina 'Goliath' FCC.
There are some serious problems with the names here. You gave Dendrobium speciosum Australia Goldrush 'bonsai' as the name of your orchid but it is not a Den speciosum species. It is a hybrid made with speciosum. The correct name of your orchid is: Dendrobium Australian Goldrush 'Bonsai'. The "speciosum" should be left out of the name because it is not a speciosum.

There are problems with the parent names as well. I am not familiar with some of the cultivars but I believe it should be: Dendrobium speciosum 'Herberton Gold' & Dendrobium Yondi Tina 'Goliath' FCC/AOC
The Following User Says Thank You to kmarch For This Useful Post:
Forever-mango (10-10-2009)
Old 10-10-2009, 07:04 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 6,637 Times in 2,844 Posts
Brooke is on a distinguished road
Yes remove the plastic wrap from the top of the box. IF you see the plants wilting, put it back on but I doubt will.

I can't tell you when to take them outside but the temps need to be steady and warm.

Brooke
The Following User Says Thank You to Brooke For This Useful Post:
Forever-mango (10-10-2009)
Old 10-10-2009, 07:15 PM
Member Photobucket

Thanks Brooke, the plastic is off. The media is still wet, and the plants looks healthy. I will keep it in the bathroom until the outside is more stable and warmer.

K, i just copied what ever was written on ebay..."PARENTAGE IS DENDROBIUM SPECIOSUM 'HERBERTON' GOLD X DENDROBIUM YONDI TINA 'GOLIATH'FCC"

So should i change the labels on the plants? I just noticed the flasked didnt have the speciosum, i think i got carried away with the "speciosum" bit. Thanks for the correction
Old 10-10-2009, 08:14 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Quote:
Also is it worth getting my hands on some Dendrobium Yondi Tina 'Goliath' FCC since i now know the guy who owns the plant.
It still is a good plant to grow & show.
I seen a few divisions over the years at shows, can not remember when it won Grand-Champion last, but it is a lovely flower to look at and own.
With the cold weather at present it would pay to keep them inside for a day or so, then they will be ok under the shade cloth, they will appreciate the fresh air and rainwater on them.
Best of luck
Ron
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron For This Useful Post:
Forever-mango (10-11-2009)
Old 10-13-2009, 09:34 PM
Member Photobucket

Ron, the weather has been stable now, just some wind. I placed them outside last night and have been keeping the media damp. Is there any special things i should do make sure i dont kill them?
Old 10-14-2009, 12:52 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Quote:
Is there any special things i should do make sure i dont kill them?
Dont use a strong chemical fertilizer for at least a year. I find they respond when young plants to weak organic fertilizer.
Other big killer keeping them too wet, ie watering too often.
They are hardy tuff aussies use to droughts.
best of luck
Ron
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron For This Useful Post:
Forever-mango (10-14-2009)
Old 10-14-2009, 07:28 AM
Member Photobucket

Thanks mate

Hopefully they do ok
Old 12-13-2009, 09:01 AM
Member Photobucket

A quick update on the flasklings...they are doing very well. Only one tube didnt make it, but others has skyrocketed! I water them with pond water every few days and the rest with rain water. Some have grown that much, i think i might need to repot soon.

plantloverlisa (12-13-2009), rcb (12-13-2009), Schlyne (12-13-2009), zaeem (05-23-2010)
Old 12-13-2009, 09:23 AM
Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 5,389 Times in 3,096 Posts
katrina is on a distinguished road
They look great!! You've done an excellent job w/the babies!!
Old 12-13-2009, 11:32 AM

Undergrounder is on a distinguished road
I'm impressed! they look great, well done!