Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Flasking and Seed Germination

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Brooke
  • 1 Post By catasetum-ian
  • 1 Post By plucker
  • 1 Post By Mackarov
  • 1 Post By gingerhill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2014, 05:45 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 3,432 Times in 1,258 Posts
Bolero is on a distinguished road
Catasetum Deflasking

Hi guys,

I just deflased some Catasetums a couple of months ago. I probably left it until too late towards the end of summer to do it and now am paying the price.

I can usually deflask easily and have no problems with Paphs, Catts and Phrags but in this case I may have mistimed my deflasking.

Anyway, it's April here which is like October in the Northern Hemisphere and the leaves are going brown. Would you stop watering now? As the babies are still very very small and have tiny bulbs will they be ok without water until Early Spring? Thanks.

I thought I would show you what they looked like when I first deflasked them, they were magnificent but now they are just an ugly mess. There were approximately 50 seedlings in the flask, I would be lucky if there are 25 left. I am very disappointed but maybe I should have grown some mature ones first before trying deflasking these. They came from SVO.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:57 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 6,637 Times in 2,844 Posts
Brooke is on a distinguished road
I've never grown a Catasetum from flask but have done a Morm x Cyc cross and I would think they would be very similar.

I didn't encourage my seedlings to have a winter rest, treated them like I would any seedling and let them grow through at least two winters. I figure seedlings don't really now what they are, they just want to grow and survive.

When I finally removed them from their compots, potted them individually, in the fall I started withholding the fert and water. By this time they had nice pbulbs and would have the energy to regrow in the spring.

I assume a Catasetum would respond the same way as my cross did - good luck with them.

Brooke
Bolero and bearded orchid like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Brooke For This Useful Post:
Bolero (04-20-2014)
Old 04-20-2014, 10:03 AM

catasetum-ian is on a distinguished road
just try to save what you can, even if only one survived, it is still something. my record is two flask, only one survivor (my bad....i deflaked them too early, my first time deflasking flask of my own). still keeping my finger cross the the sole survivor.

good luck and keep us posted. hopefully you will manage to save some of them, crossing with a lucis, should be interesting.
Bolero likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to catasetum-ian For This Useful Post:
Bolero (04-21-2014)
Old 04-21-2014, 01:41 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanks guys, I have them in the hot house next to vanda's so I am hopeful that there are some that want to live. It looks like a few do........but some look like they have departed to Heaven. I don't want to throw out the ones that have lost leaves just in case they are ok.

So I may let them sit there until Spring anyway.......lol
Old 04-21-2014, 08:25 AM

plucker is on a distinguished road
I am only guessing here, but I would treat them like a Cat seedling until they lose too many leaves, them let them have a softer winter break. Probably easier to manage if they were individually potted.
My entire collection of Catesetum's (all 4) are just starting to lose the bottom leaves now, so the winters rest is coming up, although they are 2 years old now.
Bolero likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to plucker For This Useful Post:
Bolero (04-23-2014)
Old 05-27-2014, 06:44 PM

Mackarov is on a distinguished road
Hi Bolero -

I've deflasked two flasks of ctsm, the 2nd with much higher success than the first and I owe it entirely to these instructions from Fred at SVO.

"I use cell trays that have 100 cells. I wrap the moss up to the top root
in most cases, this may require covering a good portion of the stem. The
moss should be firm once in the cell, if to loose it will hold too much
water. Keep the humidity up around the plantlets, and warm 60-65 temps at
night works well. Start with 1/4 tsp fertilizer at the first watering. When
watering the moss should be wet and re-watered when almost dry to the touch. The wet to almost dry cycle is important." - Fred Clarke

All I could add to that is that is that I do cut the fertilizer back during periods of non-growth and wait to increase watering and feeding until the new growth has visible roots reaching into the media. Remember that with each new bulb you want the media level to rise to the roots of the new growth which sometimes means burying some older bulbs.

Happy growing!
Bolero likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mackarov For This Useful Post:
Bolero (05-28-2014)
Old 09-14-2014, 03:06 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Well we are at the end of winter and we are just going into spring. Thought I would check the seedlings which are tucked away in the corner of the orchid house. They just get a splash of water every now and then and a minimum of 10C or 50F. I cannot believe it but I think I have saved about 27 or so. I had given up on some plants (actually most of them) last year but maybe I shouldn't have, I also threw some out that maybe were actually ok......anyway I have 27 50mm pots of plants and almost all have a new growth coming......I am stunned. I did still water the seedlings over winter but only a splash here and there. Interesting that one seedling never lost its leaves, it maintained it's leaves until now (and they still look good) and it's also one of the few plants that hasn't put out new growths. I think all the ones remaining will be ok.....

I will post a photo when everything starts looking a little more advanced. Considering the temps and the fact I kept watering and the fact I have never grown these before I consider this to be a small win for me!

Stay tuned for more.....

Last edited by Bolero; 09-14-2014 at 03:10 AM.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:51 PM

gingerhill is on a distinguished road
Good work

Sound like you did mostly the right thing. Looking forward to pictures
Bolero likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to gingerhill For This Useful Post:
Bolero (09-15-2014)