Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Flasking and Seed Germination

Like Tree13Likes
  • 4 Post By PaulB
  • 2 Post By orchids4me
  • 1 Post By Fishmom
  • 1 Post By PaulB
  • 2 Post By PaulB
  • 2 Post By orchids4me
  • 1 Post By ACK2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 11:15 AM
Executive Senior Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

PaulB is on a distinguished road
Anyone interested in an Epidendrum pod?

I have an Epi noid that has a pretty mature looking pod. I'm not sure when it will open, but if there is anyone interested in having it, I'll send it to you.
It blooms constantly, all year here in Southern California. This pic is only one of several flower spikes on the same plant.PM me if you like.
Attached Thumbnails
epidendrum-noid_1.jpg  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PaulB For This Useful Post:
hulaorchid (07-09-2012), orchids4me (06-13-2012), otis 226 (06-13-2012)
Old 06-13-2012, 12:30 AM
Super Moderator Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 4,422 Times in 3,810 Posts
orchids4me is on a distinguished road
Hi Paul,
If no one wants it or claimed it yet I'll take it and I'll flask it I'm going to try a few different genera here real soon (as soon as I have enough seed to do 33 jars lol) one pack media makes 33 jars...
Do you know how to set up the coffee filter seed catch ?
1joyceh and PaulB like this.

Daisy 2003 -2013
Life is too short.... Buy more orchids!!!!

Emmaye
Old 06-13-2012, 07:54 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,278 Times in 798 Posts
pikkumyy is on a distinguished road
ahhh yes, i have the red version of this, and it gets pollinated by ants, i'm actually surprised if my flower spikes don't form at least 1 pod each

once they get into a big plant they are magnificent, mine has about 10 spikes forming on it at the moment, and it's just sitting in dirt in a wheel barrow

The minute you stop learning is the minute you stop living

My friends and family call it an obsession, i call it an interesting hobby

My Blog: my-patch-of-heaven.blogspot.com.au/
Old 06-13-2012, 09:21 AM
Executive Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchids4me View Post
Hi Paul,
If no one wants it or claimed it yet I'll take it and I'll flask it I'm going to try a few different genera here real soon (as soon as I have enough seed to do 33 jars lol) one pack media makes 33 jars...
Do you know how to set up the coffee filter seed catch ?
Then its yours!! I sent a PM to you and gave you my e-mail. You'll have to guide me as to "when" the pod should be removed. Right now, its looking like it either wants to open, or drop. Should do this quickly, I imagine.

Just saw the last sentence. Tell me how to set it up, in case this little devil decides to pop open. Best, would be to cut it off now?? You tell me.

Last edited by PaulB; 06-13-2012 at 09:35 AM. Reason: seed catch
Old 06-13-2012, 11:59 AM
Senior Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,265 Times in 954 Posts
Fishmom is on a distinguished road
Hi Paul, I did this with Emmaye last year, with a group of kingianum pods. I remember that when they were almost mature, they changed from feeling firm when I squeezed them lightly, to feeling like they had a little space inside, a little more "give" to them. I did put filter bags around each of them before they opened, then I didn't have to worry. I cut one or two before they opened, and if I remember correctly, they continued to ripen on their own and opened eventually off the plant.

Emmaye will give you advice on how she wants it done, but my memory is that it was pretty easy.
Good luck!
PaulB likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fishmom For This Useful Post:
PaulB (06-13-2012)
Old 06-13-2012, 12:57 PM
Executive Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishmom View Post
Hi Paul, I did this with Emmaye last year, with a group of kingianum pods. I remember that when they were almost mature, they changed from feeling firm when I squeezed them lightly, to feeling like they had a little space inside, a little more "give" to them. I did put filter bags around each of them before they opened, then I didn't have to worry. I cut one or two before they opened, and if I remember correctly, they continued to ripen on their own and opened eventually off the plant.

Emmaye will give you advice on how she wants it done, but my memory is that it was pretty easy.
Good luck!
So, (bear with me) The pod will continue to "ripen" if cut off? Right now, it's starting to split at the tip and still only slightly green up by the stem, otherwise, it's turning a brownish yellowish/reddish color. I've been watching it for about two weeks now, and noticed the splitting this morning. Still has a ways to go, I think. Maybe a week? Like watching water boil...

Just don't want to lose any seeds for her, so I'll go get the coffee filter...

So cool! Maybe she'll split some of the ten million seeds with ya!
Old 06-13-2012, 03:50 PM
Senior Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,265 Times in 954 Posts
Fishmom is on a distinguished road
I'm no authority, but if it is splitting on the bottom, I'd guess it is ripe enough to remove. The tiny seeds will start to drop any time, and you don't want to lose them. You can staple it up within the coffee filter paper and it will keep everything safe.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fishmom For This Useful Post:
PaulB (06-13-2012)
Old 06-13-2012, 04:00 PM
Executive Senior Member

I thought I posted some pics on the newer thread, but didn't. Now they are there.
1joyceh likes this.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:35 PM
Executive Senior Member

Thanked 1,321 Times in 686 Posts
otis 226 is on a distinguished road
Wow Paul, that's a very nicely colored bloom. I just got a small keiki of what I hope turns out to be a lavender colored reed stem epi. I really like them because they grow so effortlessly down here too. I'm sure Emmaye will love working with it.
Best,
Tony
Old 06-13-2012, 05:18 PM
Executive Senior Member

This one practically glows in the dark. It's never been a challenge to grow. At all. It jus' does it's thing, with me or without me and has bloomed continually since my neighbor literally yanked it out of the dirt in her (incredible) yard and handed it to me. This was back in the mid nineties.
Nami was her name. Sweet little Japanese lady that became a very dear friend, talking about her wonderful Topiaries, Plumerias and Orchids.
I hope she's smiling down right now, knowing I'm spreading her joy to others.
1joyceh and ACK2 like this.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 4,422 Times in 3,810 Posts
orchids4me is on a distinguished road
Try not to cut to soon from the plant though. It seemd to afect the germination. Of the seed thanks for sharing and pointing that out Barbara this explains something that may have happened I haven't heard back from one member I shared some of the kingianum with if they geerminated but one I sent orchidea didn't Germinate at all. I had to check with her if she used OSP media or her home made media and it was Osp's she had used so I was wondering about that. I haven't heard back from franko who I also shared some with to see if his germinated. This also happens some times they just don't develop embryos or have a very low count and again contamination happens in the flask. I still have one stored holding the relative humidity that I will be doing along with the others.I'm determined to make barbara a kingianum grandma !!! Leave on plant as long as possible if its possible to do so to make sure the seed is fully developed its embryos. I know some people green cap them but those need to be done very quickly from what I've gatherd from reading. Some types can be green caped and work out well, while other types do not work out that way....its all a learning experence for us all here together in the steps of seed capsule , harvest, and all the way through the flasking steps.
Paul,Barbara, Tony, orchidea, and Renee over the past year have all helped me out on this journey with seed. Prior learning how to store and preseve it until ready Renee send me some seed one we had to send to troy because it aborted and he wanted to check its out ands see if any viable seed, then the Aerangis. Seed left from a bursted capsule. I didn't have everything set up as planned and while readong and learning I had a bit of a way to go still getting stuff together so insteead of killing that seed I dontaed it to troy and it germinated bit then only 2 plants grew in the flask so I'm not sure how he wants to deal with that one but renee has 2 Grandchids in the lab
Now I'm ready. Just need more seed. Of my stock I pollinated many are not ready to harvest and I make a few capsules to keep some for my self and share with troy as well to make some he's not had available in some time on his site avaiable again for people to buy from him. What I get from members here now I just flask at home or share with other flaskers here on the site like orchidea for example because we are all learning together and I don't mind sharing and learning together.
So thank you all
PaulB and ACK2 like this.

Daisy 2003 -2013
Life is too short.... Buy more orchids!!!!

Emmaye
The Following User Says Thank You to orchids4me For This Useful Post:
PaulB (06-14-2012)
Old 06-14-2012, 08:17 AM

ACK2 is on a distinguished road
Following this has been a real learning experience. Thanks Emmaye!
PaulB likes this.

" The various contrivances and adaptation of orchids vastly transcend those which the most fertile imagination of the world's most imaginative man could dream up with unlimited time with his disposal."
Darwin
The Following User Says Thank You to ACK2 For This Useful Post:
orchids4me (06-14-2012)
Old 07-08-2012, 02:10 AM

rosa is on a distinguished road
Thanks to all of you for sharing your experiences. I'm learning A LOT from this forum.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:12 AM
Member Photobucket

hulaorchid is on a distinguished road
Beautiful! They love the SoCal Weather!!
Old 07-09-2012, 05:56 PM
Executive Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulaorchid View Post
Beautiful! They love the SoCal Weather!!
They're also doing well in Nantucket and New York!