Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Care Cultivation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2011, 12:04 PM

Newfound Orchidlove is on a distinguished road
Question Yellowing

more questions My flowering Phal is yellowing at the base of the leaves with a tiny bit of brown on the outside. Is this do to overwatering? Should i let it dry out a bit? I read that if leaves yellow, there may be too much light., but I don't think that's the case (since it's been raining here for the past 2 weeks). I pulled it out about a week ago and a bunch of roots were rotten, so i trimmed them off and repotted. Thanks for any suggestions!
Attached Thumbnails
img_20110428_073136.jpg  
Old 04-28-2011, 12:51 PM
Executive Senior Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Emma Grey is on a distinguished road
Hi, I don't know about the yellowing, but it looks like your plant may be potted too low in the medium. Somebody w/ more knowledge than me will be along shortly to comment, I'm sure.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:20 PM

Dorchid is on a distinguished road
Is this one of the phals that you posted about earlier which was planted too deep and covered with medium? If so, it might be yellow because of that. I agree with Emma.Grey, it still looks like it's a little to deep. I would suggest removing a little more medium, and it might improve.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:26 PM

Okay thanks - yes, i'll bring it up so that it's more in line with the top of the pot. Does this coloring mean that it's rotted or dying? Will it come back to healthy green? Not sure if it's too wet or overwatered, so i've held off on my weekly watering. Also, I don't want to do a full repot again since there are nice flowers on it still.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:01 PM

Dorchid is on a distinguished road
It's hard to say if it will definitely come back, it sounds like it's been through a lot, it might be a good idea to cut the flower spikes off so that it can focus on recovering. It doesn't really look like the crown is rotted, it may have yellowed from not getting any light under the medium. When you removed the medium from on top was it yellow then, or did the yellow develop after it was removed?
Old 04-28-2011, 04:00 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 3,205 Times in 1,285 Posts
mayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of light
Looks very "scary" to me - don't like seeing the yellowing coming from the center area of the plant onto both leaves - this is indicative of crown rot/disease issues. I hope I'm wrong. I'd also cut off both flower spikes regardless of the nice flowers if you want to try and save the plant. If you put the spikes in a vase you might get another 1-2 weeks out of them that way.......
The Following User Says Thank You to mayres For This Useful Post:
Newfound Orchidlove (04-28-2011)
Old 04-28-2011, 04:08 PM

okay, i'll go with the "greater good" and cut the spikes so that it can focus on it's roots . Hopefully i can save this one. It's my very FIRST and so gorgeous I appreciate all this help. OrchidGeeks is my go-to spot for help in my Newbie beginnings!! Thanks again!
Old 04-28-2011, 07:52 PM

prorchid is on a distinguished road
Yellow

Dear Newfound Orchidlove

When you water Phals you have to be careful not to get water where the plants grows, where new leaves come out. If water is trap there it can rot the growing region of the plant.

Raise the phal a litter higher. Look where the lowest leaves are and where the roots are growing, add medium over the roots.

I live in Puerto Rico and my phals grow out side, when the rainny season arirves I tend to put my phals side ways so that the rain can drain from the plant and doesn't stay on the growing part of the plant
Old 04-29-2011, 12:22 AM
Super Moderator Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 4,422 Times in 3,810 Posts
orchids4me is on a distinguished road
This is what I see...sorry to say it was planted to deep and it appears it has crown rot. I don't know for sure if this on can be saved. Are those flower spikes around it going up ward ? Any keiki's growing on those ?
When re potting Phalsthe pot should only be big enough to contain the root ball and slip in a couple fingers for about 2 years new growth. And the lowest leaf should be just above slightly touching the media. And never get water in the crown or trapped between lower leaves. If I accidentally do I get a paper towel and use it as a syphon to get the water ut by twisting corners of the paper towe and poking the pointy end into the wet areas until I get all the water out.
This is a good reasont to go out and bvuy yourself a new one and try again
You can try to save this one but imho I'm not sure it will make it.
Good luck! And if you do get a new one we look forward to pics .
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news ......
Emmaye

Daisy 2003 -2013
Life is too short.... Buy more orchids!!!!

Emmaye
Old 04-29-2011, 01:45 PM

Oh that's quite alright - i'm super new at this and assumed i would have a trial and error period. I just hate the the orchids have to get the raw end of the deal from my learning! I will most definitely try again. All that orchids require seems like common sense, and i should be able to learn quickly. I currently am trying to "save" another orchid with wrinked leaves by putting a makeshift humid tray underneath it and covering it with a bag. I'll see if i can save that one! I don't like giving up too quickly