Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Care Cultivation

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2008, 04:03 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

PhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the rough
Hi myxoma! I am in Orange County too, Placentia. I use tap/hose water on all my orchids and they are just fine. The water company recently sent out a full report on our water quality. (it was in with your water bill) Ours is very hard (560 total dissolved solids) but I have too many orchids to do bottled water. Keep in mind that if you use pure water you need to use the correct fertilizer to make sure your orchids get what the bottled water companies take out.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:26 PM
Junior Member Photobucket

NicC is on a distinguished road
The Brita-type filter is essentially activated charcoal as is the GE type refrigerator filter(the water by the way is not cooled more than passing through the door.) From what I understand activated charcoal is great from removing color and tastes (smells) and some heavy metals from water but does not add anything as do whole house water purifiers/softeners which add appreciable amount of salt(sodium chloride) especially if not properly adjusted and maintained.
Nick
Old 02-23-2009, 08:23 PM

davidos is on a distinguished road
ew gallons inside overnight to bring up to room temp.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:52 PM

nonee is on a distinguished road
ice?

I was told to use ice cubes on my orchids. I live on a well so should I worry about chlorine? Am I harming my orchids, is ice not enough water? HELP!

Nonee
Old 05-05-2009, 09:31 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

PhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the rough
No, don't use ice!
How much you water depends on the orchid and where you grow it, so a little more information will help us to help you!!
Old 05-05-2009, 09:46 PM
Super Moderator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 3,628 Times in 2,184 Posts
sunshine is on a distinguished road
Do not use the ice cube method Well water does not have chlorine.,

I use just plain tap water and all my houseplants and orchids do fine.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:37 PM

Im honestly not sure what kind of orchid it is, I bought it at wal-mart it looked like it was dying. I started watering it like the tag said(with ice cubes) but now all my blooms have fallen off, the top half of the stem is turning brown and dying, on the bottom half the leaves are still lush. Its planted in a bark/rock soil, its inside, in inderect light, the blooms were a white petal with a purple center and the other is white with pink. Sorry I can't be more help.

Nonee
Old 05-19-2009, 08:32 AM

Smile Thanks

To all I solved the watering thing mine where root bound so I transplated over the weekend it was very warm here in Oregon and the roots where in standing water so I'm very pleased with all the help from all of you Thank you
Old 05-19-2009, 12:48 PM
Executive Senior Member

Thanked 1,035 Times in 333 Posts
benetay is on a distinguished road
I think this has been debated over and over again but still i will like to ask this question. I do on the air condition at night and the temp drops to 20 degrees, cooling enough for us human to sleep in. However the humidity drops to 50% from the regular 75-85%. I'm thinking if it's possible to mist or water at night to keep the sphag moss to be a little moist before the morning watering. Usually the sphag moss will be crispy in the morning and it takes at least 2 watering with an interval of 15 minutes to completely soak the plants and moss.

So do you think it's feasible to water maybe lets say 1-2am in the morning?

Cheers!

Benetay Photography

Bulbophyllum blog
Old 05-21-2009, 05:24 PM

Raptuserum is on a distinguished road
Such an interesting and informative thread.

Perhaps I might need to let our tap water here at least overnight before misting the chids.

Cheers to all!!!
Old 05-07-2010, 07:14 PM

formatroman is on a distinguished road
I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about watering with fertilizer every few months. Is there any solid method for doing this to ensure even soil disbursement? I have been using "Flourish 7-8-6 Orchid Grow Formula" seems to work well, any suggestions of a better, or how often i should water with it?
Old 07-05-2010, 07:54 PM

Location: Lexington/Redbank, SC (current) -- Tavares, FL (hometown)
vanda_obsession is on a distinguished road
We live in the city and our water here is high with chlorine.. Until recently I started leaving water out overnight for the chlorine to come out of the water. One thing I have tried to is with my goldfish, I used to buy spring water from the grocery stores since chlorine water isnt good for them, but it was getting expensive, so I bought tap water conditioner for them, just tried using it on my orchid water. It instantly breaks the chloramine bond, and uses 1 drop per gallon, or 1 teaspoon per 10 gallons (I think) Its $4.99 a bottle but it lasts for a very long time and I have not seem any negative results by using it to water my orchids, in fact, in the last two weeks I have been using it, I've seen an improvement on the looks of new leaves. Give that a try!
Old 07-05-2010, 07:57 PM

Location: Lexington/Redbank, SC (current) -- Tavares, FL (hometown)
vanda_obsession is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonee View Post
I was told to use ice cubes on my orchids. I live on a well so should I worry about chlorine? Am I harming my orchids, is ice not enough water? HELP!

Nonee
I was given two "ice" orchids (as they are called that from the store) and they just suffer. By the time I get them, they are almost dead because they told her to put two ice cubes in it ONCE A WEEK! I revived one phal "ice cube orchid" that was given to me, the other one just came to me about a month ago now with bugs and was "ice cubed" and suffering. Spike is dead, leaves are gone, one root is sticking up out of the moss and I'm crossing my fingers that it survives.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:10 AM

Jenny Ryan is on a distinguished road
Thanks, that was so informative AND in plain English. We have Municipal water (tap) and a borehole because we have a large garden. My Cyms mostly get borehole because they're outside but my Phallies are inside so they get tap water. Would there be any benefit giving my phallies borehole water? The garden looks good, growing well.
For humidity I have my phallies standing ABOVE (not in) humidity trays which consist of normal plant drip trays with water with over-turned round drip trays as stands for the pots. I tried the pebble thing but it looked a bit yucky at the kitchen counter.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:07 PM

Gene.Staley is on a distinguished road
Jlu, after my move I water my orchids with water from fish tanks, but what interests me is how the lady fills her fish tanks. She lets the water sit out for about a week. She waters all her plants with this water and her large collection of orchids bloom every year.
I was wondering if you knew if some areas still used "straight" chlorine? or if the fish in the fish tank are just weird.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:35 AM

Smurfette is on a distinguished road
@Brassalova - no you are not the only one using rain water - I do too!! I have a big bucket outside that I dip into, occasionally I use tap water which has been stood for a while to warm up. Our water is quite soft where we are so I'm not overly concerned about it harming my babies - they are doing ok so it can't be that bad!!! (famous last words eh??)
Old 08-27-2012, 08:14 AM
Member Photobucket

leeflea is on a distinguished road
Watering

I think leaving the water out a few days is great. That's what I do and have to do as I've not the money for reverse osmosis and the likes. After all these yrs. of growing them, I think as you suggested, it has worked for me.
If I weren't such a hermit and showed my orchids AND had the money, I'd invest in other ways of watering them but I'm content with the way I'm doing things now under the circumstances.
I have heard of people setting up barrels at the rain downspouts but with the West Nile virus about, for me, at least, it's not a good idea in this hot, sultry weather of the Southeast. I have no orchid for which risking my health and the health of others which is worth it. Leeflea.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:32 PM
Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 5,372 Times in 3,084 Posts
katrina is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeflea View Post
I have heard of people setting up barrels at the rain downspouts but with the West Nile virus about, for me, at least, it's not a good idea in this hot, sultry weather of the Southeast. I have no orchid for which risking my health and the health of others which is worth it. Leeflea.
I have rain barrels (not that they did me much good this Summer- drought) and I use 'Dunks' in the barrels. They kill mosquito larva but they are safe for birds and fish so no worries to the wildlife in the area.
leeflea (08-28-2012)
Old 08-28-2012, 11:17 AM
Member Photobucket

leeflea is on a distinguished road
water barrels

Thanks Cat for the info. I never thought of the dunks. They seem environmentally safe and good for you to have thought of them and sharing. Lee
Old 01-31-2013, 03:48 PM

chidnancy is on a distinguished road
Thank you. I have a soft water system and I think that is what is killing my orchids. I live in TX so not much rain at all. Therefore, I will try distilled from Walmart. Thank you!!!
Old 11-16-2016, 05:41 AM

Pseudobulbasaur is on a distinguished road
Great information there, JLu! I use rainwater too and all my plants love it.