Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Care Cultivation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2018, 11:27 AM

Orchidgrower123 is on a distinguished road
Terriam for psycopsis orchids.

I hear this is a genis ( the psycopsis) that likes higher than average humidity. around 60 to 70% that coupled with catt light.

humidity that high could cause issues with my bedroom door and ceiling, which thanks to the crappy plumming/maitmence is starting to fall apart. also my room is checked on by the state annually ( I live in a group home)

so I figure the best thing to do with my orchid is to buy a glass terrarium meant for herps and a humidity gage. and stick it in there and shine a light over it. that way I can keep humidity high in the winter when central heating is on. and in summer when it starts to bloom and the natural humidity climbs take it out and have it in my now humid room. without causing major issues to an already slightly damaged ceiling or door. am thinking about adding a battery operated mini fan to help with air movement.

I have a question about flower spikes.

the dementions of the new terrarium are 24 inches high, 18 inches long and wide., they had larger terrariums on amazon but it was too expensive. I know the spike gets to be higher, can I cut it back to force it to branch and grow shorter to fit inside the terrarium?

Last edited by Orchidgrower123; 02-02-2018 at 07:36 PM.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:56 AM

Orchidgrower123 is on a distinguished road
Why am I not getting any answers

I posted this to get help
Old 02-04-2018, 07:38 AM
Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 5,383 Times in 3,093 Posts
katrina is on a distinguished road
Psychopsis will be fine w/normal household humidity. I grew 2 for years...inside during the winter and outside during the summer...no problems. My house is pretty dry in the winter.

Aside from the fact that they will be fine in lower humidity...the spikes get far too tall to keep one in a terrarium. If my memory serves me, this one can be in bloom any time of the year...I seem to remember mine always being in bloom...even in the colder months.

And, no, the spike won't branch like a phal spike.