Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Care Cultivation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2006, 12:45 PM

junieg2 is on a distinguished road
Question Splitting Dendrobiums

My Nobile type dendrobium has gotten quite large over the summer. It has lots of new growth, looks to be in fine health and still suitable for its hanging basket. Call me crazy, but I was considering splitting it. What is the best way to do this and when is the best time to do it? I have started new plants by cutting cane sections and putting in a plastic bag with sphagnum moss. I also have a keiki growing on one of the older canes of original plant, so I hope to have some additional plants some day. Any ideas? jcg
Old 08-21-2006, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Cynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond repute
You want to have a minimum of three canes in a row to each of the divisions. Use a sterilized tool and cut down between the cane bases where you will get the right sized pieces. However, I would only repot when the plant is starting new growths, as, soon after, the new growths will start to root, and you want to repot before the new roots get very long. You can add old back bulbs to your list of ways to increase the number of plants you have, but will require time to get to blooming size after they start a growth. The divisions with three or more canes in a row (and at least one new growth) should bloom on schedule. Cynthia, Prescott, AZ
Old 08-24-2006, 01:50 AM

Cynthia, thanks for the info. I may wait until next year to try this. I don't want to kill this beautiful orchid and can't wait to see the blooms later this year. jcg
Old 08-25-2006, 09:31 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,239 Times in 532 Posts
jerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond repute
I would not divide nobiles at this time of year. They are just about to set buds. Dividing will probably prevent flowering.

Also dividing baskets is difficult. You are better off with cuttings. Nobiles when they get large start to produce rapidly growing Keikis. I can usually get 10 or more plants from a 6 inch nobile basket without dividing the original
Old 08-31-2006, 12:51 AM

dividing dendrobium

Jerry, thanks for the info. One question I have is this; what will happen when my "dream Ace" outgrows the six inch basket? Will I be able to put it into a bigger basket of sorts without killing it? june g.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:32 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 2,835 Times in 1,280 Posts
Anton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of light
Excuse this newbies ignorance, but what are "nobiles" and "Keikis" ??
Old 08-31-2006, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator Photobucket

Cynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond repute
Dendrobium nobile is a species Den that likes a cool winter. Those hybrids that are bred from D. nobile and have the same thin floppy leaves and cool winter requirement are called nobile types. They also have flowers spread out up and down the canes. What does the tag on your plant say?

Keikis are baby plants that grow up on the side of the cane, not at the bottom where the normal growth occurs, which not called keikis. The keikis (on the side of the canes) can be removed when they have a few roots, and potted up. Cynthia