Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Care Cultivation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2011, 10:33 AM

ASP is on a distinguished road
some advice needed - should I buy this plant?

That's the question really!
I have a hankering for a Chysis bractescens and this is what the write up from the vendor said ( I had to use Google translate )

"This plant is flowering but not flowering size delivered in 10 Oktotopf in Spaghnummoos.

Caution: This plant is a new import from Taiwan 15.05.2010. Therefore, the potted plants are fresh and not yet rooted and are only suitable for experienced orchid lovers. In addition, the plant leaf damage on the shoots, but this is not a problem, as these leaves are dropped anyway when the new shoots coming next."

Has anyone bought plants from here and what was the quality like?

Chysis bractescens - Orchideen und Orchideenzubehör der Schwerter Orchideenzucht

What I really want to know is should I just go for it and see what turns up and what I can do with it or err on the side of caution???
Old 03-08-2011, 10:48 AM

edgy is on a distinguished road
For me risk would be directly related to cost. The way I look at it is if I spend this money and the plant dies a week later....will I be upset about the cost. If the answer is yes, I wouldn't purchase. This is also where dealing with known reputable dealers comes into play. Most reputable dealers will replace plants that are damaged in shipping and try not send out bad plants to begin with. Good Luck!
Old 03-08-2011, 11:53 AM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 3,702 Times in 1,792 Posts
rcb is on a distinguished road
I would say do you want it enough that it is worth the risk for you.

I think that a vendor that clearly states the condition of the plant is reputable. They clearly state it is for experienced growers, and needs roots. Also, from the date, which was 9 months ago, the plants may have had time to recover by now.

I have bought plants that were not in the best condition, and the vendor warned me, and I've had some go on just fine, and some not. To me, I wanted the plant enough to risk it.

"I carefully described to Huxley the shooting out of the pollinia in Catasetum, and received for an answer, 'Do you really think I can believe all that?'" - Darwin, 1868

www.orchidsnhoyas.blogspot.com
Old 03-08-2011, 12:11 PM

Thank you for your responses - I hadn't even noticed that 9 months have passed since that date !
I was in my "I gotta have it now" mode!
I have now emailed and am awaiting a response as to the present condition of the plants and in the meantime I will look around and see if I can get it somewhere else.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:08 PM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 5,449 Times in 3,014 Posts
kmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond repute
I would get more clarification on a few things. It says "This plant is flowering but not flowering size." How can it be in flower if it is not flowering size? Maybe Google made a translation error (web translators are prone to mistakes). So it's not entirely clear to me how big the plant is and how much it costs. I'd also like to know if the plant is well established or if it is recently imported. Well established is better.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:32 AM

I have heard back from the nursery and cleared up a few things - the plants are divisions that are flowering size but not in flower - they have rooted since import and have new growths.
I have not ordered anything yet despite hearing elsewhere that they are a reputable nursery as I may get the same plant at the London Orchid show in a few weeks.
(If I can hold out that long!)
Old 03-09-2011, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 3,656 Times in 2,212 Posts
sunshine is on a distinguished road
I would hold out for the London Orchid Show. Chances are you might find one in spike or bloom and at a decent price. Be there early, like when the doors open on the first day

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000209739937