Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Care Cultivation

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By jsehorn

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2017, 11:00 PM

jsehorn is on a distinguished road
Reflexed dorsal sepals on Oncidium intergeneric

I get this Aliceara Donald Halliday 'Smile Eri' from Hausermann last week. It was in spike and the flowers started opening a couple days ago, and as you can see from the pictures, the petals are way way reflexed, particularly the dorsal sepal, which is bent back at a sharp 90 degree angle. All the flowers are affected. It's a good plant which appears to be in good health with a good root system.

It doesn't look awful, but I don't love it. None of the pictures I've found of this plant show this feature, so I'm wondering if there is some cultural condition that could cause this. I have several other Oncidiae including a couple Beallara, Degarmoara, and Vuylstekeara (all of which I know are now considered Aliceara, but old habits and all...) and none of those plants have ever had this happen. Do you guys have any thoughts? If there's something you guys can think of which is likely to be the cause, I'd like to avoid that in the future. If not, maybe it's just a weird thing as the plant adjusts to its new conditions, and I'll just hope for the flowers to present better next year.

Also, FYI, I took these pictures yesterday, and I noticed today that the red margins are starting to form around all the edges. I read that the flowers open white and then develop the red coloration later, but I wasn't completely convinced until I saw it myself lol
Attached Thumbnails
eri1.jpg   eri2.jpg   eri3.jpg  
Old 04-26-2017, 03:10 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 3,397 Times in 1,223 Posts
Bolero is on a distinguished road
Ok maybe humidity was too low during the formation? Maybe just a bad flowering.

But if this isn't normal then wait for the next flowering which may take 12 months or so and see how it looks then.

Might just be one of those things.........I can't say and I don't think anyone will know for sure. But I would let it flower again before deciding what to do with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bolero For This Useful Post:
jsehorn (04-26-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 3,641 Times in 2,197 Posts
sunshine is on a distinguished road
I just had to Google to see the what the flower looks like and I can see why you got it. it is gorgeous and just a tad different.

My suggestion would be to contact/ send pictures to Hausermann's and ask if they have had problems w/this particular plant. I have gotten plants from Hausermann's and they have always arrived in excellent condition and healthy. I highly recommend them.

This just maybe a Mother Nature screw up and the next bloom maybe fine. Give it another bloom cycle.
The Following User Says Thank You to sunshine For This Useful Post:
jsehorn (04-26-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 07:54 PM

jsehorn is on a distinguished road
I love Hausermann also. I have never got a bad plant from them, so I doubt very much that there was something wrong with the plant before they sent it to me. The main reason I placed an order with them was to buy an LC Dinard 'Blue Heaven' (and the one they sent is just magnificent, not to mention HUGE, for like 37 dollars), and I thought if I'm gonna get one, I might as well get two, and this one jumped out at me I figured it was probably a long shot that somebody would be able to say, "Why yes! That's caused by..." but I thought I'd try anyway haha. I appreciate your input all the same.

I'm hoping that this just happened because the plant's environment changed drastically right as the flowers were about to open, and it will bloom normally next time. The flowers are very interesting tho, so even if it blooms like this every time, I'll probably keep it
Bolero and sunshine like this.