Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Care Cultivation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2009, 03:37 PM

brit6v is on a distinguished road
potting advice, please

Hello,
Could you tell me what I should do with this orchid, if anything, please? The tag reads: TRCTM (Maureen x Haematochilum) Red Mule Ear Type. I bought it a few months ago and it has grown well since. It is a healthy plant with many new roots. I have been thinking lately about mounting it, but I don't want to do anything to hinder it's good health. Should I:
1.) Leave it as it is?
2.) Repot it in a larger pot now...preferable plastic?
3.) Repot it in a larger pot during active growing, which I gather is Spring/Summer?
4.) Mount it...now or when?
5.) Another option?
I would appreciate your advice,
Vicki
Attached Thumbnails
trctm.jpg   trctm-2.jpg   trctm-3.jpg  
Old 11-12-2009, 03:41 PM
Member Photobucket

Schlyne is on a distinguished road
I think I'd wait for active growing (I'm still fairly new at this though) before you change what it's doing.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 5,877 Times in 2,961 Posts
syndywindy is on a distinguished road
To me it looks like it can use some repotting. As far as mounting, I'm not an expert or even close to that, so I'm sure someone will be along to advise you on that. If I were repotting, you could certainly do it now. There is mixed view on burying the aerial roots, some do it some don't. Either way works, it depends on you. As far as pots go, many use clear pots so they can keep an eye on the roots. I'm not real familiar with your orchid and what it's culture is, so again, I will defer to someone with knowledge on it.Don't know if I helped you any or not.

Life is Good Today! Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you will die tomorrow.

Synda
Old 11-12-2009, 09:31 PM

syndywindy

Yes Synda, you helped me a lot. Thank you. I'm glad that you didn't advise that I should definitely mount it because, actually, I've not had much experience with mounting. I initially wanted to give it a shot, but I've decided that I really need to learn more about how to do it because I felt like I had two left hands when I have tried in the past. Now that I have read your reply, I plan to repot it now ("now" meaning in the next few days....as soon as I can soak some medium). I don't know how comfortable I would feel burying the aerial roots, but then on the other hand, I'm wondering if potting them up would be beneficial to the plant's growth (I tend to lean on the burying them side, as I think more about it). I haven't decided on which type of pot to use. I know both plastic and clay have their pros and cons.
Thank you again...I appreciate your help,
Vicki

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndywindy View Post
To me it looks like it can use some repotting. As far as mounting, I'm not an expert or even close to that, so I'm sure someone will be along to advise you on that. If I were repotting, you could certainly do it now. There is mixed view on burying the aerial roots, some do it some don't. Either way works, it depends on you. As far as pots go, many use clear pots so they can keep an eye on the roots. I'm not real familiar with your orchid and what it's culture is, so again, I will defer to someone with knowledge on it.Don't know if I helped you any or not.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:52 PM

Schlyne

Hi,
I'm quite new at this, as well.....I've only been growing less than 2 yrs. (at the expense of several plants, I'm afraid). I really wish I knew enough about orchids to help someone else, but I know that would be a very long way down the road, if ever.
I do appreciate your advice.....
Thank you,
Vicki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlyne View Post
I think I'd wait for active growing (I'm still fairly new at this though) before you change what it's doing.