• 1 Post By jsehorn
  • 1 Post By john lapointe
  • 1 Post By sunshine
  • 1 Post By jsehorn

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2017, 01:27 PM

jsehorn is on a distinguished road
Plants inside for the winter

Here are all my plants nestled inside for the winter. I only have one good window, which is a sliding glass door which faces south, and as you can see, I'm out of space at that window

Those big Catts in 8 inch pots and a couple others you can see kind of behind the racks (they couldn't fit haha) I think are too far from the window to get enough light, so I've been researching growing under artificial light. I have a table in my apartment which I could use for orchids, and I'm leaning toward LEDs. It seems that they've come a long way in the last few years, and some people are having success using them. You guys have any thought?

Just a funny side note, I have found that the most comprehensive and thorough information I can find regarding growing plants under artificial light comes from websites dedicated to growing marijuana indoors But if it works for them, it could work for me too (with orchids, I mean. I'm not about to risk cultivating marijuana, especially considering how harsh the penalties are in Oklahoma lololol)

By the way, this is one of the specific light fixtures I am looking at: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01795XMEY...=1Y2HDGFXYDBKQ

Any thoughts on that?
Attached Thumbnails
plants-inside.jpg  
Bolero and -k- like this.

Last edited by jsehorn; 10-10-2017 at 01:33 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:53 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 1,722 Times in 1,020 Posts
-k- is on a distinguished road
I've seen these lights advertised over the years, I vaguely remember someone on this site who was experimenting with them(so you might want to do a search). Good ole t5 or t8's (which is what I have) works great and uses such little electricity it's not even noticed. I reliably have grown and bloomed my orchids under them not to mention African violets, random plants and for starting seedlings 6 weeks before spring planting...
Bolero likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to -k- For This Useful Post:
Bolero (10-12-2017)
Old 10-12-2017, 06:06 AM
Super Moderator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 3,646 Times in 2,202 Posts
sunshine is on a distinguished road
I just brought my orchids inside for the winter. I grow under lights from Oct-May. Living in Maine the sun isn't that great in the winter. I grow a lot of cattleya and other bright light orchids. I use T8's, T5's and 100 watt (6500k,and it has the leaf on the pkg, and is a natural daylight spectrum) lights. The lights are on a good 8hrs or more. Where the window is w/the shelving is a T8 hanging from the ceiling. My laelias are very happy there for the winter. The orchids are so much happier w/the lights and so am I. With the amount of time and money I spend on my orchids the lights are worth the investment Btw, the light post are clamp lights w/100 watt CFL bulbs. Tommy,my husband made me the lamp post. Plastic Christmas tree holder and 2x4's.

img_20161102_111351792.jpg
Old 10-29-2017, 07:01 PM

john lapointe is on a distinguished road
LED lights

Just moved in my plants last week, frost coming, ran out of windows in the house, collection doubled to 300+. I built a grow room in the basement, plastic, thinking about a rubber room for me, stocked it with shelve units, two 15w LEDs per shelf on a timer for 16 hours a day. I put a steam generating humidifier and fan for air movement. It's absolutely tropical in there, hope every body survives the winter.
Old 10-29-2017, 08:31 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 3,405 Times in 1,231 Posts
Bolero is on a distinguished road
You could move to Northern Australia and just leave your plants outside 365 days a year...........;-)
orchidea likes this.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:34 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,111 Times in 1,016 Posts
Leafmite is on a distinguished road
Did you ever decide on the lighting? I need another light so I am currently doing research on LED's and will probably ask a friend at my OS what he is using (he uses all LED's).
Old 11-04-2017, 11:45 PM

I decided to go with T5 florescent grow lights. After doing some research, that seems to be the most recommended option, and the lower cost allowed me to buy more, so now I've got plenty of room haha. I got a little carried away and bought a big rack and three light fixtures, one for each shelf. My fixtures are 4 feet long with 4 bulbs each.

I've only had them for two or three weeks now, but everything is good so far. I put a few big Cattleya's under the lights with the tops of the leaves about 8 inches from the bulbs, and they're getting some purple coloration that wasn't there before, so I guess that's good. I have a Sharry Baby under there too, but I think I have that one too close because the tiny black spots are worse under the lights than they usually are. It's growing like crazy tho, faster than usual. I might just move that one back to the window for natural light. The black spots don't bother me that much, but I can't say that I want there to be more of them.
-k- likes this.
Old 11-11-2017, 05:38 PM

john lapointe is on a distinguished road
update

An update on bringing plants in for winter, maxillaria picta is getting ready to bloom. When I bought this plant two years ago as a bare root, single bulb, no roots, has grown to three pbs. When I brought in for winter 3-4 weeks ago I noticed multiple embryonic new growths coming on. I has since turned out to be 10 flower spikes growing like weeds. May just be something to growing indoors under lights.
Bolero likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to john lapointe For This Useful Post:
Bolero (11-12-2017)
Old 11-12-2017, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 3,646 Times in 2,202 Posts
sunshine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsehorn View Post
I decided to go with T5 florescent grow lights. After doing some research, that seems to be the most recommended option, and the lower cost allowed me to buy more, so now I've got plenty of room haha. I got a little carried away and bought a big rack and three light fixtures, one for each shelf. My fixtures are 4 feet long with 4 bulbs each.

I've only had them for two or three weeks now, but everything is good so far. I put a few big Cattleya's under the lights with the tops of the leaves about 8 inches from the bulbs, and they're getting some purple coloration that wasn't there before, so I guess that's good. I have a Sharry Baby under there too, but I think I have that one too close because the tiny black spots are worse under the lights than they usually are. It's growing like crazy tho, faster than usual. I might just move that one back to the window for natural light. The black spots don't bother me that much, but I can't say that I want there to be more of them.
T5's is a great choice. Easy on the electric bill. I just got a new LED light. Found it on eBay. So far my orchids are really liking it. Smart and excellent choice of 4 ft shelving. I have 3ft shelving. What a pain getting lights. My other set of shelving has a 4ft T8 hanging from the ceiling for the top shelf. I have Laelia schusteriana. It just loves it under the T8. Put out a sheath just as soon as I brought it back inside and placed it under the light.

Middle shelf w/the purple light is the new LED light. The next shelf is a T5. Not crazy about the purple light but don't see it unless I go out into the back room. If this works good may go to these when the others need to be replaced. My husband,Tommy was the one who suggested I get lights for my orchids. He said I had a lot of time and money invested and it would be too bad to lose them. Btw, the orchid bug is slowing infecting Tommy

img_20171029_104739386.jpg
-Utilizes Violet, Blue, and Green bands to promote Vegetative Growth
-Utilizes Red band to promote flowering and budding
Watts Used: 20

Can see the difference between the LED and regular T5.
img_20171029_104824707.jpg
jsehorn likes this.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:13 PM

Yeah, sunshine, the weird color of most of the LEDs is one of the things that turned me off. I live in a one bedroom apartment right now, and the only place I had to put a shelf for more orchids was in the living room, and I didn't think I'd want weird light in the living room all day lol. It looks like you have some happy, beautiful plants there
sunshine likes this.