Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Care Cultivation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2009, 12:09 AM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

exasperatus2002 is on a distinguished road
Phrag. besseae

Whose got em? Please post pics & your experience growing them. Im finally going to get a slipper orchid & settled on Phrag besseae. My wife doesnt like Paphs, which is a shame cause I do, but the beautiful colors of besseae should win her over.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:44 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 5,449 Times in 3,014 Posts
kmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond repute
For your first Phrag, I think I'd recommend a beseae hybrid rather than a species besseae, the reason being that some besseaes can be particular about things like water quality and less tolerant of less-than-ideal conditions. I'd recommend a beseae hybrid like Mem Dick Clements, Don Wimber, or Norimont. There's probably about a dozen more newer hybrids too. The colours are bright and vibrant just like a besseae and they're probably better phrags to learn on.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:55 AM

JLu is on a distinguished road
One additional caution...unless you're really young stay away from the hybrid of bessae and kovachii. It grows slightly slower than old 1950's paint dried and isn't overly hearty or pretty either.

Interestingly it's another Orchid Registrar mistake. The hybrid is known as Peruflora's Cirila originated and registered by Peruflora (2007) and as Fritz Schomburg originated by A. Manrique and registered by Piping Rock Orchids (also 2007). I have the Fritz Schomburg one. After 3 years it's two tiny fans because the old ones die off as new ones grow. It has bloomed and was not overly spectacular. I guess I can cut the registrar some slack when he has one very old hybrid and someone comes along today with a repeat, but registering the same hybrid twice in 2007 seems pretty sloppy.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:38 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,954 Times in 1,166 Posts
patticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of light
I love my besseae. It's in spike right now. It's my second blooming of it. I bought it in bloom 2 1/2 years ago- (March '07) I think it's odd that it's blooming now, but I won't argue! The tips of the foliage die if they get too much fertilizer. All my other orchids use tap water, but while I use tap on this one, I use distilled every few waterings. I love it!

I got mine from Piping Rock.
Attached Thumbnails
imgp3532.jpg  
exasperatus2002 (11-25-2009), kmarch (11-24-2009), Schlyne (11-25-2009)
Old 11-24-2009, 08:00 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 5,449 Times in 3,014 Posts
kmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLu View Post
...Orchid Registrar mistake. The hybrid is known as Peruflora's Cirila originated and registered by Peruflora (2007) and as Fritz Schomburg originated by A. Manrique and registered by Piping Rock Orchids (also 2007). ...
Are you referring to Phrag Peruflora's Cirila Alca (kovachii x dalessandroi)? They must have corrected the mistake because I found only one record for the cross.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:45 PM

Thanked 1,459 Times in 733 Posts
Stelios is on a distinguished road
My bessae came here as a young plant a year or so from blooming size. I had it mounted on a small water fountain and it did great but then the fountain broke down, i remounted it on another fountain and it also broke down. I now have it in a pot. It keeps growing leaves all the time. As soon as the new leaf is grown the oldest one is dying. So it has 4-5 leaves all the time but they are getting bigger and bigger. I hope it will bloom for me someday but i am not sure if that day is close
Old 11-25-2009, 04:57 PM

cerastes is on a distinguished road
My Phragmipedium besseae is currently in bloom. I grow it under lights with my phalaenopsis. I water every 4 days using rain water. I fertilize (using 20-20-20) at the rate of 1/4 teaspoon per galllon about every 3 weeks. It blooms regularly. I have tried to attach a photo (my first attempt). The picture is slightly out of focus. The true color is more orange than the photo suggests.
Attached Thumbnails
phragmipedium-besseae.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to cerastes For This Useful Post:
Schlyne (11-25-2009)
Old 11-25-2009, 05:42 PM

JLu is on a distinguished road
"Are you referring to Phrag Peruflora's Cirila Alca (kovachii x dalessandroi)? They must have corrected the mistake because I found only one record for the cross."

dalessandroi is no longer recognized as a species. They are all besseae now. I guess this how the problem occurred because they were recognized as besseae and dalessandroi at the time of registration. So now we have two names for the cross until someone fixes it.

Edit: Actually I'm wrong.....dalessandroi was demoted 10 years before this registration.

Last edited by JLu; 11-26-2009 at 06:33 AM.
Old 11-26-2009, 01:39 PM
Junior Member Photobucket

LouisW is on a distinguished road
Wow that is one of the fullest P. besseae flowers I have seen Patti!