Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Care Cultivation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2008, 01:40 AM

NancyB is on a distinguished road
oncidium care

In So Cal I have my oncidiums in an eastern exposure - they seem to like it there. -- I'm seeing a lot of new growth -- we've just have a few days of rain -- it should be dry for awhile -- are there any pests or fungus I need to watch after the rain? Also, should I be using 30-10-10 for generating new growth and then switch to 20-20-20?
Old 02-26-2008, 04:44 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 1,954 Times in 1,166 Posts
patticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of light
Hi Nancy, You and I have very different growing conditions! I'm pretty new at this but, what I understand, is that Oncidiums have different requirements depending on the type. I know that many like to be mounted.
I have mine in a south window- a little to the side. But where I am, (Nanook of the North is my neighbor) I need the extra light. If yours is actively growing, You could rotate fertilizing. I give mine a change each time and once a month flush w/ plain water. A very weak mixture-(1/4 strength) of what the label states, is good. Orchids do well with a light fertilizing if at all.
Good luck!
Old 02-29-2008, 09:00 PM

Tommyr is on a distinguished road
Oncs. are easy (IMHO), bright, defused light, Let dry almost totally out then water well. Feed every other to 2 waterings with Miracle grow. Leave outside in the fall to get the cool, early fall temps. Then bring in. I LOVE Oncs.!
Old 02-29-2008, 09:53 PM

janice is on a distinguished road
Southern Ill. is so different.............................but my Oncs. which are mounted I water every few days..............and they are in a south exposure. I have not used miracle grow but might try it.................
Old 03-02-2008, 04:05 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,239 Times in 532 Posts
jerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond repute
The most important thing for Oncidium is good air movement. The air movement will help to resist any pest or fungus. Oncidium grow easy and fast.

You fertilizer choice will work OK.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:19 PM

Nancy is on a distinguished road
I'm no expert. I'm in Baltimore, Maryland. I grow My Oncidium Sharry Baby in a plastic pot in bark and my Oncidium Sweet Sugar in a metal basket with bark. Both are putting out new growth and I feed tham with 30-10-10 except for every third feeding, which is 10-30-20. I also have two Tolumnias, and these I grow in bark in small clay pots. I feed them exclusively 30-10-10. Ithink you just need to experiment with your own conditions and see what works. Good growing!
Old 03-07-2008, 04:49 PM

Aleksa is on a distinguished road
Today I couldn't hold on and I bought one beautiful Oncidium hybrid. It is named Cambria but i hate to use that name because it is not correct. Plant's flowers look almosta the same like this http://www.netrax.net/~springh/690.jpeg just they have more intense, very strong orange color.

Plant has 4 big bulbs and 4 new shots. looks very healthy and firm. What I'm concerned about is that every tip of the leaf has some strange purple colour. I don't think that is sunburn... Maybe that is natural because plant looks so healthy and leaves are not soft but firm... That purple color worries me... Do somebody maybe have idea what could that be?
Old 03-09-2008, 10:36 AM

Here is the picture of bulbs. Plant is very healthy, bulbs are firm, and also plant has much new shots. This color worries me.

Maybe I should cut the flower stalks off so the plant can recover?
Attached Thumbnails
brassia-010.jpg   brassia-011.jpg  
Old 03-10-2008, 01:31 AM
Executive Senior Member

evagentry is on a distinguished road
Aleksa,wow, I can see why you are worried, what is the weather like where you are? Is it cold?Are the tips of the new growth like this also?It could be from cold, always look a plant over well before you buy it,good luck with it, post later as to how it goes.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:13 AM
Executive Senior Member Photobucket

tizzycat is on a distinguished road
Can't offer much help, but it does look a bit like cold damage.

Keep us posted on the progress.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:33 PM

Well. It's been cold past few days... I know, I know.. I saw these marks there but I couldn't hold on. The plant is so beautiful. It will recover at my place. There is no cold in my room!

There is the pic of blooms. it has some nice scent, something like honey... Whole house smells like that!
Attached Thumbnails
brassia-005.jpg  
Old 03-12-2008, 01:17 AM
Executive Senior Member

evagentry is on a distinguished road
Beautiful blooms Aleksa, I can see why you couldnt resist, I have also bought unhealthy orchids before, good luck with it.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evagentry View Post
Beautiful blooms Aleksa, I can see why you couldnt resist, I have also bought unhealthy orchids before, good luck with it.
Thank you!
Old 03-12-2008, 02:52 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

PhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the roughPhalPal is a jewel in the rough
Was your orchid being grown under lights before you bought it??? I'm not sure you have anything to worrry about; it could be it was a bit overlit. I have been adjusting to growing under T5 lights the past two months and I have had a lot of purple tinged leaves!! It will happen especially in plants that have the red/orange spectrum of color in their blooms. The purple fades after a while if it was not burned in the process and I don't think yours was.

Please keep us updated!
Old 03-12-2008, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhalPal View Post
Was your orchid being grown under lights before you bought it??? I'm not sure you have anything to worrry about; it could be it was a bit overlit. I have been adjusting to growing under T5 lights the past two months and I have had a lot of purple tinged leaves!! It will happen especially in plants that have the red/orange spectrum of color in their blooms. The purple fades after a while if it was not burned in the process and I don't think yours was.

Please keep us updated!
I don't think so... I think that this plant has been grown in a greenhouse... I'm not so worried as log as plant isn't soft and mushy. I'll remove on of the spikes so it will waste less energy.