Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Care Cultivation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2007, 04:16 AM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 5,447 Times in 3,014 Posts
kmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond repute
On the Horizon

I got crazy idea today (while I was procrastinating from doing other tasks) that it might be fun to see/hear what folks have in bud. It's fun to see everyone's pics of their blooming plant but I also like to know what folks have coming on the horizon. So here's a few of the indoor orchids I've got in bud.

Paph Albion
Blc. Tokyo Magic hybrid #1 (can't remember the name of the cross)
Blc. Tokyo Magic x Love Sound
Paph Amarantine (liemianum x moquetteanum)
Paph Mamie Wilson (yes, another one, I have about 3-4 of these)
Attached Thumbnails
albion1.jpg   lc1.jpg   lc2.jpg   liemxmoquet.jpg   mamie-wilson.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to kmarch For This Useful Post:
koshki (10-03-2009)
Old 07-27-2007, 04:24 AM
V.I.P Member

kmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond repute
...and...

Two more nice surprises when I watered today, neither of which I knew of until today. Again this is what happens when you ignore your orchids: they begin to vie for your attention!

First a nice bud, nearly above the leaves (so its been there for a couple of weeks) on my Masd Kara's Delight x Red Star.

And something I have never, ever seen before in my entire life: This Paph Black Falcon just finished blooming and I found a second, completely new spike emerging from the same growth. I've never known a Paph to have 2 inflorescences come out of one growth. One of the parents is Red Maudiae, a complex Maudiae-type so it could be one of those oddities that sometimes pops up in complex breeding, not really sure. Anyway I'm happy to have another flower coming and am eager to see it!
Attached Thumbnails
masdkarasdelightxredstar.jpg   blackfalcon.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to kmarch For This Useful Post:
koshki (10-03-2009)
Old 07-27-2007, 05:43 AM
Executive Senior Member

BillC is on a distinguished road
Kevin, what nice surprizes you have! Do you think it is related to the number of orchids a collector has? If one has considerable numbers of plants then it is more likely to miss changes on routine ops than if one has only a few. You must be very happy with the new buds!!

Bill
Old 07-27-2007, 06:18 AM
V.I.P Member

Bill,

When i lived in the US and had my collection there, at any given time about 10% of my orchids were in bud or bloom. These days I have a lot of seedlings now so my percentage is a bit off, but if you omit the seedlings it's about 10%.

One thing I did, which I highly recommend, is to buy a blooming orchid (or 2 or 20) of a different genera every month. Many orchids grow and bloom on 6 month or 1 year cycles so if you buy an orchid in bloom in May (for example) then there's a good chance (given proper care) that it will be in flower for you again the following May. By this logic, after a year you should have a collection of orchids such that you'll have something in flower at just about any given time.

My percentage is going to rise dramatically here ina little while because my Cymbidiums and my Dendrobium tetragonums are coming in bloom. They're going to bloom wel this year. All 14 of my tetragonums are in bud and 8 of my 10 blooming size Cymbids are in bud or bloom.

Cheers
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kmarch For This Useful Post:
koshki (10-03-2009), Schlyne (12-27-2009)
Old 07-27-2007, 06:48 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,238 Times in 532 Posts
jerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond reputejerrymeola has a reputation beyond repute
I agree with kMarch about buying every month if you want to have a collection that blooms every month.

I just want to point out that the change in conditions to your home may change the blooming month by up to 8 weeks in either direction.

I find that in Hot SW Florida my Hawaii orchids bloom about 2 months behind Hawaii.

Since the shift is environmental buying every month "from the same sources" will get you a collection that blooms about every month. If you buy from several growing environments they may not spread over the calendar as easy.
koshki (10-03-2009)
Old 07-27-2007, 08:59 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Vivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really nice
I agree with buying every month... heck, I buy whenever I can. But my hopes are that in time it will result in a steady procession of blooming plants.

Let's see, what's blooming right now... (sorry no pics this time)...

Nearing the end of bloom cycle = 4 Phal and 1 Colmanara
Middle of bloom cycle = 3 Phal, 2 Paph and 1 Degamoara
Buds still to open = 2 Paph and 1 Phrag
Just spiking = 3 Dens
Old 07-28-2007, 09:11 AM
V.I.P Member

sandra is on a distinguished road
Here's what's on the horizon for me.
- The dend is a NOID that I adopted a few months ago. One spike with buds and 4 spikes emerging (about 1" so far).
- The first Miltassia has 2 large spikes with buds getting bigger and bigger, 2 smaller spikes, about 3" so far.
- The second Miltassia has 2 large spikes with buds also and 4 smaller spikes, about 3-4", so far.
- The paph (Raisen Pie) is the one I'm most excited about probably because I wasn't expecting to see a bud until next year.

Old 07-28-2007, 10:45 AM
V.I.P Member

I just found another "oops I missed that while I was ignoring my orchids" today. My Gongora truncata has a spike about 6 inches long with 12 buds on it. To be that big it must havve been growing for 2-3 weeks. Never even noticed it until today's watering.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:11 PM
Senior Member Photobucket

prisana is a jewel in the roughprisana is a jewel in the roughprisana is a jewel in the rough
here are mine..

Lc. Frosty Pink H+R
Pot. Hawaiian Yuan Gold 4N
Blc.Volcano Blue ' Volcano Queen '
Ascda. Princess Miyaki
Attached Thumbnails
orchids-in-spike-and-bud-001.jpg   orchids-in-spike-and-bud-002.jpg   orchids-in-spike-and-bud-003.jpg   orchids-in-spike-and-bud-004.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to prisana For This Useful Post:
koshki (10-03-2009)
Old 07-28-2007, 12:19 PM
Senior Member Photobucket

prisana is a jewel in the roughprisana is a jewel in the roughprisana is a jewel in the rough
and a few more...

Paph. Oriental Lawrence ' Funnel ' x Luna Moth 'Mighty'
Bllra. Tahoma Glacier
Ascda. Suthep Red
Attached Thumbnails
orchids-in-spike-and-bud-005.jpg   orchids-in-spike-and-bud-006.jpg   orchids-in-spike-and-bud-007.jpg  

Last edited by prisana; 07-29-2007 at 07:35 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to prisana For This Useful Post:
koshki (10-03-2009)
Old 07-28-2007, 09:25 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 2,811 Times in 1,258 Posts
Anton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of light
Here's mine:
Little Sarah 'Lolly Pop' (miniature cascading cym)
Pure Sarah ' Starburst' (as above) x 2 images, one on each side
Iwangaara Apple Blossom

More, on next post
Attached Thumbnails
littlesarah_lollypop.jpg   puresarah_starburst1.jpg   puresarah_starburst2.jpg   iwangaara.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to Anton For This Useful Post:
koshki (10-03-2009)
Old 07-28-2007, 09:27 PM
V.I.P Member

Anton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of light
and finally

Den kingianum x 2 showing whole spike and close up of bud.
Attached Thumbnails
den_kingianum1.jpg   den_kingianum2.jpg  
Old 07-29-2007, 03:42 AM
Site Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 3,211 Times in 1,351 Posts
fred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond repute
1) Comdarettia Speciosa x Oncidium Tigrinum
2) Laelia anceps
3) Pleurothallis palliolata
4) Pleurothallis phalangifera
5) Dendrobium
Attached Thumbnails
picture-28.7-006.jpg   picture-28.7-008.jpg   picture-28.7-015.jpg   picture-28.7-016.jpg   picture-28.7-014.jpg  
Old 07-29-2007, 03:48 AM
Site Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

fred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond repute
Mini Catts
1) Pot Canary cherry Royale x Slc Dancing Daffodil 'Little Fariy'
2) Pot Love Call 'H&R' x Blc Goldenzell Tokyo
Attached Thumbnails
picture-28.7-010.jpg   picture-28.7-011.jpg  
Old 08-03-2007, 10:16 AM
V.I.P Member

I had a blessing in disguise and a near disaster today. My partner, attempting to get somethign out of our closet, knocked my 3 biggest Paphs off the shelf and onto the floor where they spilled some of their mix. Fortunately only one plant suffered one broken leaf (and a half dead leaf at that) so there was no damage aside from some shook-up plants. As I was examining them for damage though I noticed something SPECTACULAR. My Paph Florento (chamberlainianum x kolopakingii) is in spike! I can even see the buds down in the folds of the leaflets. Yet another plant that is 3+ weeks into spiking that I did not notice was spiking!

As it's an unusual cross there are very few pics of it online and the one i did find was of a quite poor quality, so hopefully i'll get some good picks of another unusual, uncommon cross onto our forum here!

I highly recommend ignoring (but not neglecting) your orchids. If you do they'll all start clamoring for your attention!
Old 08-03-2007, 10:27 AM

robb is on a distinguished road
well i will be ignoring my orchids all weekend until monday night, maybe they'll do something other than grow roots and leaves! so far my phals and cymbidiums only show leaf/root growth, no sign of flower spikes. my understanding is phals and cyms both set flower spikes in the fall, with the onset of cool evenings and warm days (the 10-15C temperature variation?), so i probably have a long wait ahead of me
Old 08-03-2007, 10:55 AM
Site Administrator

gee kevin that was down right lucky
then to come out of it all with good news like that

awesome I carnt wait to see the pics
Old 08-03-2007, 01:02 PM
V.I.P Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarch View Post
I highly recommend ignoring (but not neglecting) your orchids. If you do they'll all start clamoring for your attention!
So true. I have an oncidium that was given to me, it's huge, my space is sacred and it took up too much room. I regretfully and shamefully say that I hate the plant...the leaves are long and look as though they're hanging....it's just very ugly. I took it and put it on the bar in my den, not having the nerve to toss it but thoroughly ignored it for well over a week. The other day I noticed 2 huge spikes. The one plant I hate the most, is begging to prove how deserving it is afterall.....
Old 08-03-2007, 01:10 PM
V.I.P Member

Tobi is just fantasticTobi is just fantasticTobi is just fantastic
It's almost like Mother Nature letting us know that none of her children are
ugly or should go unattended for very long.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:47 PM

snowballsarebad is on a distinguished road
I *might* have something on the way! My encyclia cochleata looks like it has a teeny tiny sheath starting. Lol...I didn't even know encyclias sheathed. Anyhow...when it gets a little bit bigger I'll post a pic, it's a little difficult to see it right now.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:42 PM
V.I.P Member

Poetic justice Sandra.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:33 PM
V.I.P Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robb View Post
well i will be ignoring my orchids all weekend until monday night, maybe they'll do something other than grow roots and leaves! so far my phals and cymbidiums only show leaf/root growth, no sign of flower spikes. my understanding is phals and cyms both set flower spikes in the fall, with the onset of cool evenings and warm days (the 10-15C temperature variation?), so i probably have a long wait ahead of me
You are correct in your understanding that Phals and Cymbids initiate their flowering cycles in Autumn as a result of the temp drops. The fact that you're plants are growing vigorously now, during their growing cycle, is a good sign that the plants are healthy. And of course healthy plants means better chances for good bloomings.

When Cymbidiums first begin to spike it is difficult to tell the difference between a flower spike and a new growth. But a month or 2 into it you'll be able to see that a spike will be more swollen, slightly more bulbous towards the tip (where the buds are forming) while a growth will remaing very pointed and will start to display individual leaves. I'm told also that a Cymbid spike will feel hard when gently squeezed (again fromthe buds) while a new growth will give. I'm not keen to go pinching on my spikes though so I can't confirm this.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:33 PM

elitebettas is on a distinguished road
Well my odd cattleya finally figured out what it wanted to do
Attached Thumbnails
cattleya.jpg  
Old 08-07-2007, 07:46 AM
V.I.P Member

pikevi is just really nicepikevi is just really nicepikevi is just really nicepikevi is just really nicepikevi is just really nice
The dilapidated orchids I salvaged from the local garden centre 5 months ago have gained the strength and are showing some vigor.

They have done well outside and some are flowering too. I hope they will open as well ( I lost a few - just dried up before opening fully).

The one on the rear left in the 1st photo is a recent acquisition. The rest are about 5 months old. But they have come a long way since the day I bought them. Photos 2 & 3 are of a Cattleya NOID. you could see the new growth(s) and some old mutilated old leaves.

The 4th photo is a spike from Brsdm. Mark Rehfield 'Dragon Wings'

I hope I will see the blooms
Attached Thumbnails
orchids-outdoors1a-edsm.jpg   cattleya-spike1-ed.jpg   cattleya-spike1-edcu.jpg   brsdm-m-r-dragon-wings-.1-ed.jpg  
Old 08-07-2007, 08:07 AM
Site Administrator

good work with the orchids pikevi your hard work looks like it is starting to pay off for you

well done
Old 08-07-2007, 08:18 AM
V.I.P Member

pikevi is just really nicepikevi is just really nicepikevi is just really nicepikevi is just really nicepikevi is just really nice
Thanks, fred.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:54 AM

booboo.tannenbaum is on a distinguished road
Kevin--On your initial post, I love the silhouette of the bloom on your Blc. Tokyo Magic x Love Sound (?), the third picture from the left. How much longer do you expect until they start blooming?

Best,
booboo
Old 08-07-2007, 07:41 PM
V.I.P Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booboo.tannenbaum View Post
Kevin--On your initial post, I love the silhouette of the bloom on your Blc. Tokyo Magic x Love Sound (?), the third picture from the left. How much longer do you expect until they start blooming?
booboo,
Here's a pic of the same sheath with buds today. The first bud split the sheath and emerged just this week. i expect it will open within the next week or 2.

Here's a pic of the flower on the previous blooming. I'll post a pic of this blooming when it opens.

By the way I took the photo by holding the plant up to the halogen lights (not closely, probably a meter away) in our kitchen which shone through the sheath so you could see the buds inside.

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
dsc01314.jpg  
Old 08-09-2007, 09:01 PM

snowballsarebad is on a distinguished road
Woohoo!!! I think I've got a spike on my Vandofinetia Blaupunkt!
The only flowers I've had so far are phals...I'm so excited.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:10 AM
V.I.P Member

I received quite a happy little suprise today. Some of you may recall a prievious post of mine in which i posted a pic of Paph Mamie Wilson. I have 3 or 4 of these bought from a couple of different places and that pic was one I bloomed earlier this year.

I have another one in spike and today when I watered I noticed it is opening, but...it is all white and green. No pinks or tans in it at all. The parents are lowii and primuninum. I know there is a primulinum alba (also used to make the alba version of Henrietta Fujawara) but i know of no lowii alba and am quite puzzled and suprised that this flower is blooming ut in whites and greens with no lowii colouration!

I'll post pics as soon as it is fully open.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:20 PM

booboo.tannenbaum is on a distinguished road
Kevin--It's pretty exciting to (vicariously) see the bud through--and emerge from!--the sheath. Keep us updated!

xoxo
booboo
Old 08-16-2007, 05:03 PM

kazjak is on a distinguished road
I went out to look at the progress of my Twinkle today and low and behold I have a bud on my Stlma. Kelly "lea" popping out! I can't wait for this one to bloom!
Attached Thumbnails
orchidpics-002.jpg  
Old 08-18-2007, 01:00 AM
V.I.P Member

Look Out! Here comes a big monster!

A while back I mentioned finding a spike on my Paph Florento (chamberlainianum x kolopakingii). Here's a pic of it today. The spike is about 30cm long (about 12 inches). It's still hard to tell how many flowers it will have, either 3 or 4. It's crazy how fast this spike is growing. After 10 years of growing orchids i'm still amazed at how fast flower spikes can grow.
Attached Thumbnails
dsc01327.jpg  
Old 08-18-2007, 06:09 AM
Executive Senior Member

tom499 is a jewel in the roughtom499 is a jewel in the roughtom499 is a jewel in the rough
I cant help but be drawn the yellow and red cattleya though i NEED to get one of those soon.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:26 AM

MrsConnie is on a distinguished road
Its looking impressive! xxxx

Passion rules us all and we obey~what other choice do we have?
Old 08-18-2007, 06:30 AM
V.I.P Member

tom,

the second bud on the Cattleya started opening today. Expect pics in a week or 2.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:47 AM
V.I.P Member

Since it was a little chilly (11C) last night I brought some orchid s inside. I brought this one as well which has grown well in the past six months. I posted a pix last march seeking an ID.

I found a spike similar to the ones (Zygopetalum) that bloomed last week. Can this be a Zygo as well or should it be allowed to bloom before a positive ID can be made?

Thanks.

ps. I just took these pix now in window light. I am sorry about the quality.
Attached Thumbnails
zygo1-ed.jpg   zygo1-edcu.jpg  
Old 08-18-2007, 08:49 AM
V.I.P Member

I'm looking forward to seeing this monster paph. Speaking of paphs Kevin, I think my paph in bud is going to blast. It's been sitting there, doing nothing. I can't recall how long it's been in bud but at least 4-6 weeks...I think. It's not swelling, at least not noticeably so I have a feeling, my first re-bloom isn't going to happen with this paph.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:13 AM
V.I.P Member

pikevi, I can't tell from the pics what kind it is. Lets wait until we have flowers.

sandra, It is not uncommon for a Paph spike to appear then sit for a month or two, aparently doing nothing, before going on to suddenly grow like lightening and bloom. The whole trek from first sighting of a spike to blooming can take months with a Paph. I would not be at all surprised if your Paph went on to bloom.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:42 AM

Atriel is on a distinguished road
Unfortunately, I haven't been doing this for long enough to have anything preparing to bloom yet.
But, I have been buying about two orchids a month and I haven't killed anything yet so hopefully, at this time next year I'll have an amazing collection.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:53 AM
Site Administrator

an update of a few orchids that I have in spike at the moment I had a quick look while I was watering today

Coelogyne

Sarcochilus

Pleurothallis

Dendrochilum

Pleurothallis

Old 08-19-2007, 04:31 AM
V.I.P Member

Fred,

Your Coelogyne tag looks to be tragically misspelled. It should read:

Coel Unchained Melody

-K
Old 08-19-2007, 04:40 AM
Site Administrator

thanks kevin
that is on my to do list when i either make or get some more tags
Old 08-19-2007, 04:58 AM
Site Administrator

I forgot to post this pic of the Phal inside in the fish tank

Old 08-19-2007, 09:51 PM
V.I.P Member

Quote:
sandra, It is not uncommon for a Paph spike to appear then sit for a month or two, aparently doing nothing, before going on to suddenly grow like lightening and bloom. The whole trek from first sighting of a spike to blooming can take months with a Paph. I would not be at all surprised if your Paph went on to bloom.
Kevin, I'm glad to learn this and as always, thanks. No sooner did I read your response, when I had just noticed it had plumped out a wee bit. And I've also noticed the plant growing a new set of leaves....a good thing! I keep falling in love with every orchid I bring home but I keep gravitating back to the paphs. They are the most interesting to me. Waiting on a Winston Churchill now.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:35 AM
Site Administrator

I put up a new shelve today in one of my orchid houses and I found a few more flower spikes so I thought I would shere them with you all

Sarc

Sarc

Sarc

Old 08-29-2007, 08:02 AM
V.I.P Member

Cristata on the Horizon

Here's my Coelogyne cristata with 50 buds. Hopefully it will be in full bloom in time for our show on Sept 15. <<fingers crossed>>
Attached Thumbnails
cristata.jpg  
Old 08-29-2007, 08:05 AM
Site Administrator

good growing kevin a fine looking cristata
well done
Old 09-04-2007, 08:52 AM
V.I.P Member

My orange Cymbidium is opening and i have some tetragonum flowers open too. Also my coel cristata has started to pop its buds. Pictures just around the corner!
Old 09-04-2007, 09:02 AM
Site Administrator

thats good kevin I look forward to seeing them
Old 09-04-2007, 09:17 AM
V.I.P Member

Can't wait to see them Kevin!!
Old 09-07-2007, 12:00 AM
V.I.P Member

Spring is in the air

Last night I discovered 2 fat, healthy spikes on my Zyg Arthur 'Elle' x Helen Khu, I had actually lost faith in it flowering this season.

I also discovered an itty bitty spike on my Coel flaccida too.

The Onc Twinkle 'Fragrant Fantasy' has new growth and a tiny ? spike/new growth, appearing from under one of the pseudo bulbs.

The Dockrilla liguiforme looks like it is STILL in a state of suspended animation. Would like to know how to get this thing moving and to show some form of life apart from having green "tongues"..

When I see images of them on the net I just wonder how long these plants have been growing. This one is over 30 years old, and doing stuff all in the growing department.

I does look healthier than when I rescued it from my brother, but that is all.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:08 AM
V.I.P Member

Phal. spikes.
Attached Thumbnails
2-more-spikes.jpg  
Old 09-09-2007, 09:48 AM
Executive Senior Member Photobucket

tizzycat is on a distinguished road
Here we go,

1) Miltonia rescue plant. Doing ok but can't seem to stop the concertina leaves even with daily misting etc.

2) Huge leaves on NOID pink Phal which is in spike.
3) Same plant in spike with four sub-spikes.
4) Odontoglossom Beallara Tahoma Glacier
Attached Thumbnails
oth.jpg   oth2.jpg   oth3.jpg   oth4.jpg  
Old 09-09-2007, 09:56 AM
V.I.P Member

"Concertina leaves"? What's that?
Old 09-09-2007, 10:22 AM
V.I.P Member

Concertina = Accordian
In referrence to the pleated leaves
Old 09-09-2007, 08:10 PM
V.I.P Member

Oh...geez, being a musician, that one should have been obvious to me.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:12 PM
Executive Senior Member Photobucket

tizzycat is on a distinguished road
Hope you don't mind me resurrecting the thread, but what does everyone have on the horizon/in flower at the moment???
Old 02-04-2008, 08:43 PM
V.I.P Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizzycat View Post
Hope you don't mind me resurrecting the thread, but what does everyone have on the horizon/in flower at the moment???
I'm happy to report a couple of recent spikes. I haven't posted anything here or that has bloomed recently because I've been so busy with holidays and other projects. Anyway, I've got 2 Paphs in spike that I'm super excited about!

Paph St. Swithin (rothschildianum x philippinense)
Paph Lynnleigh Koopowitz (delenatii x malipoense)

Also i've got the following getting ready to rebloom:
Masdevallia Kara's Delight x Red Star (5 buds)
Coelogyne xyrekes

(The pics of the last 2 are from previous flowerings.)
Old 02-04-2008, 11:15 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

articuno75 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I just found another "oops I missed that while I was ignoring my orchids" today. My Gongora truncata has a spike about 6 inches long with 12 buds on it. To be that big it must havve been growing for 2-3 weeks. Never even noticed it until today's watering.
OOOooo. I'm jealous! I've been looking everywhere for one with no luck. You have got to post pics when it blooms. That way I can drool. Did you buy it in the U.S?

All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed: in life that which is unnoticed has the most power.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:58 PM
V.I.P Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by articuno75 View Post
OOOooo. I'm jealous! I've been looking everywhere for one with no luck. You have got to post pics when it blooms. That way I can drool. Did you buy it in the U.S?
Unfortunately that was posted some time ago. Also, unfortunately a few days later I found our black cat Oscar playing with something on the floor. You can piece together the rest of the story.

I haven't yet brought any plants form the US here to Australia. Doing so requires CITES permits, Australian import permits, and quarentine.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:06 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

articuno75 is on a distinguished road
I noticed that it was an older post, but figured you still had it. Sorry it became a cat toy! I've looked everywhere for one of them boogers and they are just hard to find. At least a good blooming size one.

All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed: in life that which is unnoticed has the most power.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:12 AM
V.I.P Member

Hoosier Orchids grows, sells, and even hybridizes lots of Gongora. I'd recommend one of their first hybrids, Gongora Pterodactyl. It's a stunner, mostly reddish-maroon.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:28 PM
V.I.P Member

exasperatus2002 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
As it's an unusual cross there are very few pics of it online and the one i did find was of a quite poor quality, so hopefully i'll get some good picks of another unusual, uncommon cross onto our forum here!

Im looking forward to the pics!

and your right a watched kettle never boils which is why I need hair club for men soon as Im pulling hairs waiting on my Phal. buds to finally open & to my amazement decided to branch off for the first time, so now I've got more buds developing. My Guarianthe aurantiaca has buds in sheath and Im watching the bulge grow taller in the sheath as they develope.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:54 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Vivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really nice
My Horizon

Here's what's new and on my horizon...

Odm. Midnight Miracle
Paph. micranthum (bud just started)
Bl. Yellow Bird
B. cordata (slowly opening)
Paph. NoID (second bloom in a year!)
Ascofinetia Twinkle (just purchased)
Paph. Tree of Goshima x Mootoo (not sure of the second parent spelling)
Attached Thumbnails
odm-midnight.jpg   paph-micranthum.jpg   bl-yellowbird.jpg   b-cordata.jpg   paph-noid-tina.jpg   ascf-twinkle.jpg   paph-treegoshima.jpg  
Old 02-05-2008, 01:25 PM

Nancy is on a distinguished road
I have Cattleya Intermedia, Leptotes Bicolor, and three noid phals with buds.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:26 PM
V.I.P Member

Vivienne,

I'm trying to sort out your "Mootoo" mystery. There are some Paphs registered that contain the name "Motoo." These were made by Japanese hybridizer MoToo Kimura. Two of them Paph MoToo Kimura, and Paph Tree of Motoo were made with Winston Churchill. It's possible that the one parent of your plant is one of these. Is there a chance that you could contact the nursery and try to find out which one it is?

As of today, no hybrid between Tree of Goshima and any of the Motoo Paphs has been registered.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:28 PM
V.I.P Member

Nancy, Species names are not capitalized so it's: Cattleya intermadia and Leptotes bicolor.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:39 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanks Kevin. Contacting the nursery is not an option. Unfortunately most of the writing on the label has worn off. It took forever to figure out the Tree of Goshima part. And all I can read of the second parent reads Mootoo. I'm thinking it's Motoo Kimura as I found a picture of it somewhere and it is quite similar. I'm calling it
Paph. Tree of Goshima x Motoo Kimura type
Old 02-05-2008, 11:13 PM
V.I.P Member

Let me put on my detective hat.....

If the tag is rubbed, and if the later part starts out with "Mootoo" and then gets unreadable, I'd suppose that it is very possible that "Motoo" is the first part of the name which would make it more likely to be Paph Motoo Kimura.

If it lookslike there is a bit rubbed out before "Mootoo" then it is more likely to be Paph Tree of Motoo.

Which, in your view, appears to be the case?
Old 02-06-2008, 09:16 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Kevin it appears to be the latter part rubbed out... that's why I think it's the Motoo Kimura. I did some detective work on RHS and that's the best I've been able to come up with. Believe me when I say that it took a good while to figure out the Tree of Goshima part. All I can read on the tag is....
Paph. Tre blur blur blur blur blur f blur os blur blur
x MOOTOO rubbed out section

The bloom is rather large... about the size of my hand. LOVE IT!!!
Old 02-06-2008, 08:14 PM
V.I.P Member

Vivienne,

It is a pretty flower which is why I was keen to get the name sorted. And besides I like it when people have names for their plants anyway. I'd say we've about a 90% chance fo being right on the tag. We should enter the parents in the RHS database from time to time to see if the cross ever gets registered.

Enjoy!
Old 02-07-2008, 08:41 PM
V.I.P Member

Hooray! Defying the odds!

I'm quite excited this morning because i just noticed that my Ascocenda Gail Noyes is in spike! I've been growing this plant in a pot in a window along with my Paphs. I've had it for about a year and a half and it's been growing but has never bloomed (I bought it in bloom so I kew it was blooming size). I was beginning to think I'd never bloom it because by light levels were too low but then I just found a little spike starting, about a centimeter long. I'm suprised, but naturally thrilled!
Old 02-09-2008, 06:13 AM
Site Administrator

here is one I have inside the flower spike is about 4 foot long.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:12 AM
V.I.P Member

update ... pics soon to follow

I'm excieted, excited, excited!!! The first bud on my Paph St. Swithin has popped open and the petals have started to emerge! Pics soon to follow!