Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2008, 05:29 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

articuno75 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkim View Post
Has anyone tried different potting / mounting techniques? I've seen some people mount to rocks, S/H, put them in empty vases, and then there is this: Species Specific Forum : Growing Orchids and Hybrids :: View topic - Monster Neof. falcata

I bought a large specimen Fu-ran last month that is in a clay pot with gravel and coarse succulent rock. It's doing very well so far but I need to water almost every day.

I can see the advantages of a medium or mount that cannot rot -- no pests, less rot, better drainage, more air flow, less repotting.... but I guess it comes down to your growing environment and how much time you have to invest daily.

I'd love to hear your thoughts.
I have seen pictures of Neos mounted on rocks. It looked really cool. The rocks were jagged like and there was very little moss used. A member here has her's in a teacup with just coir fiber. I can't remember who has it though... Sharyn maybe???

Most of the mounts that I've ever seen were either on cork or fiber board.
I think Jay has one in S/H. I had my two previous ones in S/H. The only results I can give you about mine is that they died from window cleaner, .

As for the upside down pot mount, that would be about the same as the rock face. These were/are huge arse specimens and you have to improvise. They get big enough, you won't even see that pot.

Sandra~ Here is a pic from NWO of what the blooms of Shu Ten Nou will look like. The blooms are white to white with pink tips with a reddish/burgundy penducle. Shu Ten Nou is one of the strongest fragrant Neos.
Attached Thumbnails
shutennolittlegracie.jpg  

All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed: in life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Last edited by articuno75; 05-23-2008 at 05:36 PM.
Old 05-23-2008, 05:36 PM
V.I.P Member

sandra is on a distinguished road
Outstanding!
Old 05-23-2008, 06:25 PM

bkim is on a distinguished road
Here is my large FuRan

It's currently in a 8" pot with about 20+ fans but as you can see, it's getting crowded. I'm planning on repotting next year so I'm looking into my options. I've considered dividing the plant, mounts, furan pots (if they make them that big), traditional sphag. I'm finding the plant does well in the gravel/rock medium it's currently in so I may just stick to that. I'm watering almost everyday to every other day. It's size helps to maintain its own humidity.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:32 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Bkim do you know the name of your Neo by chance, or is it just a regular Fu-Ran type? I would not divide it. Leave it like it is. The gravel that you talk about, is it a gray color?

All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed: in life that which is unnoticed has the most power.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:44 PM

It's a standard Fu-Ran according to the tag. The gravel is not gray, it's multicolored and looks like river gravel to me.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:10 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

When you do a repot, there are a couple of things that you can do.

Since it's in gravel and you are watering everyday, you could use either Hydroton as a medium, or a natural gravel called Stalite.

Stalite is gray in color and porous. It's a tad heavier in weight than that of lava rock. The Ph level is neutral and you can reuse the stuff over and over forever without breakdown of material. The water retention is just as good as Hydroton and Lavarock. This also might reduce your watering schedule. Pretty cool stuff.

That Neo is a Monster! Nice find !!!

Old 05-23-2008, 07:24 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

jay is on a distinguished road
Jenny it is so good to see that you got another Neo. Do you have a link to that other site that you found? Or an email to add to my list?

Thanks,
Old 05-23-2008, 07:53 PM
Executive Senior Member

Sharyn is just fantasticSharyn is just fantastic
bkim: What a beautiful Fu Ran. How many years have you had this?

Jenny: Yes, it was me that had my Neo in a teacup. I decided recently to give the sphagham moss one more try. After a month, I was doubtful that things were working out well, so, I'm soaking some new coir fibre as we speak and will go back to what has been "tried and true" for me. I actually like the "look" of those planted in the spagham moss; unfortunately, it's not a media that works very well for me and my growing conditions.

I enjoy seeing how all of you are growing your Neos.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:23 PM

articuno: Thanks for the suggestion. Using a coarse porous material definitely makes sense.

Sharyn: I bought this from a nursery a month ago. The previous owner donated his/her collection for some reason unknown to me.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:51 PM
V.I.P Member

kid a is on a distinguished road
Jenny: Yay!!! It's so cute. does the person you purchased it from have a web address yet even though they aren't up and going yet? Neos are so addicting I want more!!

bkim: Wow that is huge!! I think someone already asked but how long have you had it? I think you shouldn't divide too, well there's a lot there though. What about dividing just a few from it to experiment with different potting/mounting. That's the largest I have ever seen. If the ones in Japan are worth up to 3 grand (I know that probably the more rare ones) I bet that baby is worth a pretty penny with all that growth. It's amazing and spectacular! Good growing.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/Ki...ws?ref=profile
Old 05-23-2008, 08:54 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay View Post
Jenny it is so good to see that you got another Neo. Do you have a link to that other site that you found? Or an email to add to my list?

Thanks,
It was Brookn who discovered them. Their site is still under construction. The site is called Seed-Engei Japanese Orchid. The person I've been in contact/emailing is named Satomi. He's getting ready to go to Japan again next month. PM me and I can give you the email addy if you want it.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:29 PM
V.I.P Member

Wow, what they have so far looks like a good source for info and plants.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:40 PM

I've only had the plant for a month as I bought it from a nursery.

Funny, I just bought 4 fuukiran from Satomi today. =)
Old 05-23-2008, 10:47 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

LOL, That's hilarious! which ones did you get? Do you know how long he will be in Japan for next month, or how much longer it will take the site to be completed?

Old 05-23-2008, 10:57 PM
V.I.P Member

You got a great specimen! My son's dad told me I should have paid $75 for mine which has 7 mature growths and 3 new ones now. I though I might have been taking a risk as that is the most expensive orchid I have (paid $35) but I am glad I did! I was worried about killing it lol!

As you get more growths please keep posting updates, and when it flowers too! *drool* :-) It is beautiful, I hope mine looks like that someday.

Old 05-24-2008, 01:30 AM
Executive Senior Member Photobucket

arleneg is a jewel in the rougharleneg is a jewel in the rougharleneg is a jewel in the rougharleneg is a jewel in the rough
Jenny -- I see you got another Neo. falcata. I have to admit, I took a liking to Neos, too I have 5 (maybe 6?). I'm thinking of repotting 4 of them which are in sphag mounds, but am not sure what I want to do, yet. Btw, my local o.s. had a guest speaker a few months ago. He grows one of his Neos on a cinder block. Roots are all healthy; lots of growths!

bkim -- That's a nice sized Neo. you have! I wonder how many years it took to get to that specimen size. Thanks for sharing with us.

P.S. -- I just checked out Seed Engei website. It seems they'll be at the Holiday Inn Express Orchid Expo in San Jose next weekend. I'll definitely be stopping by their booth.

Last edited by arleneg; 05-24-2008 at 01:39 AM. Reason: added p.s.
Old 05-24-2008, 02:01 AM

The Neo has about 10 spikes emerging. Ill definitely keep you posted on its progress. I'm currently battling some mealybugs I found on it recently.

I bought Seikai, Hanagoromo, Shutennou, and Gekkeikan. He said he would be back late July. I also saw the San Jose thing. Ill have to try and stop by as well.
Old 05-24-2008, 02:19 AM
Super Moderator Photobucket

brookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of light
Arlene, I am thinking of moving mine out of the sphag also. I have no clue what I am going to do though, cause I want to keep them in their pretty pots. With the humidity here, I can see the root issues starting already. They were great when it was cool out, but with the heat and dampness, not so much. Now I am really going to think about this. Jenny, where do you get the Stalite?
Old 05-24-2008, 02:28 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Stone quarrys. Some might have it and might not. I know our area doesn't (Limestone central here) so got mine from online. (eBay) I need to by more and so the hunt begins. What got me on the stuff was that my Ho Chi Minh was completely potted in the stuff at first, but I wanted to do the CHC mix with it. Ever thought just loosening the spagh? or just potting in hydroton? The stalite is quarried in the Cali area, that's why I recommended it for Bkim, cause she has quick access. I have to find it and then USPS the stuff to my door.

Old 05-24-2008, 02:38 AM

brookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of light
Hydro without the resovoir? Hmmm, how long do you think it would take to dry out? I am an underwaterer, sad I know. The chids have to be camels here.
Old 05-24-2008, 02:41 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

I found the link for Stalite. It is sold as Permatill or Volebloc.

Old 05-24-2008, 02:42 AM

So I did a search on Stalite, and said that VoleBloc was made of Stalite. Check it out.

UltimateGardenCenter.com :: VoleBloc 15 Lbs

VoleBloc 15 Lbs at Roxbury Farm and Garden Center
Old 05-24-2008, 02:43 AM

OMG hee hee. We posted at the same time. I am hearing the twilight zone music.
Old 05-24-2008, 02:48 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

That is hilarious. I swear we do things at the same time. It's too funny.

Old 05-24-2008, 10:37 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

jay is on a distinguished road
Jenny - they must supply the little shop in Japan Town in San Francisco because I have a care sheet from with that name that is written in mostly Japanese. They do have a nice selection and good prices. Thanks for the link.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:53 PM
Executive Senior Member

hera is on a distinguished road
Ok..so I went to buy a Neofinetia and I ended up buying an Ascofinetia Cherry Blossom. It looked like a more vigorous plant for the same price, and the flowers will be pink. The question is will it grow like the Neo. Same requirements or some slight variation? Will it be as cold hardy? High light or low light?
Old 05-24-2008, 10:40 PM
Executive Senior Member

patlee is on a distinguished road
The neo. parent will give it a good degree of cold tolerance, but unlike the neo itself, it will need high light. The exposure to strong,direct light should be a done in gradual stages,though

PAT
Old 05-25-2008, 04:07 AM

Anyone know about how long on average it takes to go from spike emergence to bloom? This anticipation is driving me nuts!
Old 05-25-2008, 04:20 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Do you have a spike starting on one of your plants? About a couple months was my average.

Last edited by articuno75; 05-25-2008 at 04:23 AM.
Old 05-25-2008, 12:49 PM
Executive Senior Member

coffeecup is on a distinguished road
When I first saw a picture of a Neo at first glance, I thought I was looking at a giant pineapple in a pot...had no idea what it was and didn't pay it much attention.

Today, I was skimming the forums and decided to read this one thread that I haven't even clicked before. After reading every single post on the last 3 pages thus far, I want one! Or several!! You are all bad influences!

Also, I have so many replies to make --

Arlene: I believe the plant shop in Japan Town, SF is called Katsura Garden. My boyfriend and I go there all the time and I've purchased several bonsai from them. They have a lot of stuff in such a small store. Another good place to go is across the street, to Soko Hardware. It is a family run hardware store, but the lower level has a lot of bonsai pottery and supplies. They also carry nifty plant tools etc.

As for them being at the San Jose show this coming weekend, I'm soooo glad I could get one of the days off; I just hope they're there Sunday too. I really want to pick one of these up!

Lastly, I'd like to say that its awesome to have all of you to converse with. You guys are a great support/informational group when it comes to this hobby. You keep it fun and interesting!
Old 05-25-2008, 01:00 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Button, go get one! You'll be glad that you did !!!

Old 05-25-2008, 01:10 PM
V.I.P Member

myorchid is on a distinguished road
Well, browsing ebay, I got a Neo. it is actually a Darwinara Charm x Neofinetia falcata. It has two spikes! I am excited to get it!! Should have it next week.

Had to really convince my husband by telling him that it was a small plant and I had room!

Last edited by myorchid; 05-25-2008 at 10:15 PM.
Old 05-25-2008, 01:10 PM

There is a store in San Jose called Serene Orchids off 85 and De Anza that sells a limited variety of Neos. When I was there last week, I saw ounamiseikai and kinrokaku for sale at good prices as well as standard Neos and Sedirea japonica.

And then if you're willing to go to SF, I highly recommend Golden Gate orchids. OrchidMania: Grassroots Support for AIDS Prevention/Relief and Orchid Conservation Thats where I found my Monster Neo.
Old 05-25-2008, 01:42 PM

Hera, I have the Ascofinetia Cherry Blossom. I have had it in Phal light, and it's growing like a weed, but I am planning on kicking it outside soon. Here's a pic, not the best, I will see if I can get a better one later.
Attached Thumbnails
100_19421.jpg  
Old 05-25-2008, 02:05 PM
V.I.P Member

myorchid is on a distinguished road
Brookn, that is really beautiful! Can't wait to get my little one!
Old 05-26-2008, 01:36 AM

arleneg is a jewel in the rougharleneg is a jewel in the rougharleneg is a jewel in the rougharleneg is a jewel in the rough
button -- Thanks for the name of the store in J-town. I'll have to make a trip and visit some friends. I live about 60 miles from SF, but got tired of driving (at least, 20 mins or more to anywhere from where I live). I so miss living much closer!

bkim -- Thanks for the name of the store in SJ and SF. I have friends in SJ and nearby...will have to find a reason to visit.
Old 05-26-2008, 02:12 PM
Executive Senior Member

brookn,

Thanks for the pic. I see yours is in spag. Mine came in coir and I'm going to keep it in there until I think it has aclimated, but I'm toying with putting it in s/h. What do you think. Spag sound easy to tell when it needs watered, and it won't dry out when the furnace is on in the winter as quickly. If your in Missouri then our summers should be similar. If you summer it outside, then maybe I'll be brave and do it.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:56 PM

Here you go the better pic. I am going to work some more on my outside areas to get them ready for the plants. I have the option of outside, or I am setting up a grow area with lights in my back room. I have T8 lights that I have hung, but I was thinking I would reserve it for the winter to help keep the light bill down. Those lights have worked great for starting seeds for the garden though. Putting the plants outside is daunting, cause there are so many weird variables, but I did it last year, and it was okay.
Attached Thumbnails
100_19592.jpg  
Old 05-26-2008, 09:09 PM

Brook,

Nicely done mound. Is that a Neo. pot?
Old 05-26-2008, 09:42 PM

Yes, it is a Neo. pot, and it is kind of on the large side. I got it from NWO, the Asco. fit perfectly into it. I am sure it will outgrow it pretty quickly though. Thanks for the compliment on the mound, I sweated over that stupid mound . I tried to do it traditionally by molding it, but my humidity is too high, and my patience too low lol. I mounded it and tucked it without a mold, then poked my finger up through the pot to make the cavity inside (scientific I know). I am now reevaluating the whole sphag mound, though I think it looks so neat. My humidity has stayed well over 60% inside the house, and the roots are not happy. You can see the side of the mound where I loosened the sphag a bit to give them more air flow, until I have found a good solution.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:44 PM
V.I.P Member

When the top of the sphag layers dry but the inside is still very moist should I just mit the top layer of spahg?This is what I have been doing. I was gone over memorial day weekend and the humidity was so high I didn't even have to soak when I got back but maybe today though, lol!

Old 05-27-2008, 05:20 PM

When my sphagged Neos get crusty on the outside but still moist on the inside, I just wait till the next day before rewatering. If its not watering day, I will shower, not mist, the entire plant to re-drench it. Ive found misting doesn't do anything but just make the outside sphag moist.

I'm paranoid about having Neos too wet and tend to allow them to dry out a bit (not bone dry) before rewatering.

Last edited by bkim; 05-27-2008 at 05:25 PM.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:20 PM
Executive Senior Member

I had a thought that if you put something like a small over turned clay pot in the bottom of a slightly bigger pot, and then put the root ball and spag over that, would that give a neo the air and moisture combo that it needs?
Old 05-27-2008, 06:21 PM
Executive Senior Member

brookn,

Has it ever boomed for you?
Old 05-27-2008, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hera View Post
I had a thought that if you put something like a small over turned clay pot in the bottom of a slightly bigger pot, and then put the root ball and spag over that, would that give a neo the air and moisture combo that it needs?
The smaller pot would actually restrict the air flow to the roots in the sphag ball. I had a similar thought to this. If you were to cut the top of a plastic soda bottle and put a bunch of holes in the plastic and put that in the pot for the sphag and plant to sit on, it would maintain the airy space that a traditional sphag potting achieves but would allow you to use almost any medium you wanted.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by articuno75 View Post
Since it's in gravel and you are watering everyday, you could use either Hydroton as a medium, or a natural gravel called Stalite.

Stalite is gray in color and porous. It's a tad heavier in weight than that of lava rock. The Ph level is neutral and you can reuse the stuff over and over forever without breakdown of material. The water retention is just as good as Hydroton and Lavarock. This also might reduce your watering schedule. Pretty cool stuff.
I did a bit more research and I'm thinking of going to S/H for all my orchids including my Neos next spring with the start of new root growth. I really enjoy the look and tradition of sphag potting but can't keep up with the demands with my current setup. And I don't think I'll be entering any Fuukiran shows anytime soon The challenge will be finding a container appropriate for S/H and the right size for my monster Neo.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:01 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,245 Times in 759 Posts
solay is on a distinguished road
What a large Neo. you got there Bkim. I wish mine would grow. I only have 3 or 4 fans and I mounted them separately. I think I like the bushy look.

I happen to be in Japan Town on Friday taking some out of town guests around and guess what I found? Yup. Neos. It was in that bonsai shop and I was just going in to admire the bonsai trees when I saw them all lined up. So I picked the first variegated one I saw and bought a pot to go with it. I potted it up in the traditional way with spagh. moss. The tag reads Gojofukurin.

Jenny do you know if it's a white flowered one too?

Oh my husband had a fit when I told him how much it cost. Of course the pot was what was expensive not the plant. At least that's what I told him. I even skipped dessert after dinner to make up for my Neo. purchase. Ha! Ha! He felt so guilty and tried to have me eat his dessert. Of course I said nope with a sad look on my face.
Attached Thumbnails
neo-1-.jpg   neo.jpg  
Old 05-27-2008, 08:53 PM

Great potting! I need to stop by that store and check out their pots.

Here are some pics of GOJYOFUKURIN: Neofinetia falcata(GOJYOFUKURIN)

Spelling is slightly different but it's the same variety.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:10 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

OOOH!!! Looks like mine might be blooming size according to those pictures. Can't wait! I think my next Neo. will be a pink one. I have yet to smell one. The wait for blooms begins! Tick Tock, Tick Tock.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:20 PM

Hera, mine has not bloomed for me, I got it at the end of March. It has grown a lot though. I am hoping for blooms when the second growth matures.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:51 AM
Executive Senior Member

brookn, I'm keeping fingers crossed. I've been watering it every other day and misting it in between. Its in coco fiber and I'm not used to this type of medium, but it seems to allow good air flow. Each new variety is a learning experience.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:03 PM
Executive Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solay View Post

I happen to be in Japan Town on Friday taking some out of town guests around and guess what I found? Yup. Neos. It was in that bonsai shop and I was just going in to admire the bonsai trees when I saw them all lined up. So I picked the first variegated one I saw and bought a pot to go with it. I potted it up in the traditional way with spagh. moss. The tag reads Gojofukurin.

Solay, I live relatively close to you...in San Rafael. Which Japan Town did you go to? San Francisco? I want to go now!!
Old 05-28-2008, 04:14 PM

This is the store for those who are interested:
Katsura Garden - Japantown - San Francisco, CA 94115
Old 05-29-2008, 12:16 AM

bkim,

Thanks for posting the link to Katsura's. I remember walking through that store several years ago. Back then, however, I wasn't into orchids (or any plants). Next time I visit J-town, I'll definitely stop by and spend an hour (and $$) there.

How are prices for Neo. pots?
Old 05-29-2008, 12:32 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

My pot was $25. I just took the first one she brought out. There might be nicer ones. They are in the back room and not on display. Need to ask. They also have cheap plastic Neo. pots for $3.95. The Neos. were $25-$30 each. Happy shopping for those that are going there.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:33 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Most Neo pots that I have seen are outrageous! Are they cheaper in Japan town?

Old 05-29-2008, 12:38 AM

$25 is actually quite cheap compared to other places I've looked into.

I just got my shipment from Satomi. Here are my new additions:

Warning to those who ordered from Satomi: I found fungus gnats and mites in my shipment. I've given these a liberal dose of 3-in-1 spray.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:47 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

OOOH...Lucky You!!! I like the mini one and the pink roots are different. I also am getting little flies/gnats flying around. I'll have to spray too. Do they come from the moss? Seems like I started getting them after using spagh. Hummm....
Old 05-29-2008, 12:47 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Solay must have been replying the same time I was. No $25 is CHEAP I've seen them go for as high as $125.00 !!!

Bkim~ !!! I didn't find any in mine, but I treat all my plants as soon as I get them. (They get the automatic Brookn Recipe Bath ) Will be on a vigilant watch though....

Old 05-29-2008, 12:54 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Hee! Hee! Yup, we were replying the same time. I think they might even have cheaper ones if you ask. The plastic ones are not bad either. The design lets in more air and has the little foots too. I'll post a picture of it tomorrow.
Old 05-29-2008, 05:40 AM
V.I.P Member

pikevi is just really nicepikevi is just really nicepikevi is just really nicepikevi is just really nicepikevi is just really nice
I believe I paid $40 each for the Neos. They were very small and were about 6cm (2.5") each.

But they are not that common here.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:36 AM

Greenhouse Gal is on a distinguished road
bkim,
How cute!! I am sure I speak for all of us in saying, we want more pictures when they grow and bloom. Enjoy.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:48 PM

Thanks! The one I'm really interested in seeing is HOUMEIDEN. The foliage is stunning and the roots are actually more pink than the picture shows. Here's a picture of a mature HOUMEIDEN:

I really wanted a bean leaf variety so I got SEIKAI. It also has slight pink flowers. Here is a picture of a mature blooming SEIKAI:

The variety and uniqueness of Neofinetia falcata is what I enjoy. Every form is stunning and makes it all the more addictive.

Last edited by bkim; 05-29-2008 at 05:34 PM.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:50 PM
V.I.P Member

yes indeedy. I only have one neo falcata so far. But I am already saving for some other varieties.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:33 PM

I just stopped by Katsura. They got a new shipment in. Their suppier is Seed Engei. Haha. The prices are better or similar to ebay.

Here's the varieties they had off the top of my head: Amanogawa, Ounamiseikai, Seikai, Hanagoromo, Goyjofukurin, Hisui, Higashidemiyako, Shutennou, Tamakongo. They also had some Neo hybrids and varieties of Sedirea japonica.

No more ceramic fuukiran pots though =( I ended up buying 3 of the plastic variety.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:32 PM
Executive Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkim View Post
I just stopped by Katsura. They got a new shipment in. Their suppier is Seed Engei. Haha. The prices are better or similar to ebay.

Here's the varieties they had off the top of my head: Amanogawa, Ounamiseikai, Seikai, Hanagoromo, Goyjofukurin, Hisui, Higashidemiyako, Shutennou, Tamakongo. They also had some Neo hybrids and varieties of Sedirea japonica.

No more ceramic fuukiran pots though =( I ended up buying 3 of the plastic variety.
That is so funny. I got a hold of whoever runs the eBay store and confirmed that he will be at the San Jose show with many varieties to choose from. I might as well wait until Sunday.

In terms of pots, I'd check out the various other stores in that area. Try Soko Hardware store for things like that. I know for sure they have bonsai supplies as well as others. You might luck out!
Old 05-29-2008, 06:42 PM

bkim -- I'm drooling like crazy after you posted that pic of the Sekai! LOL My bean leaf, Neo. falcata 'Yodonomatsu', bloomed for the first time for me this year. The flowers were white. I'd love to get one that produces pink flowers.

If only I still lived closer to SF, I'd be there in a snap to shop at Katsura's.

button -- I'll definitely make Seed Engei my first stop this Saturday. I can hardly wait!
Old 05-29-2008, 07:11 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Gosh, I wish I could have bought every variety when I was there. I'll be in the area tomorrow and I'm sooo tempted to stop by there. Self control is so hard. Anyway, here is a picture of the cheaper plastic Neo. pots they had.
Attached Thumbnails
picture-009.jpg   picture-010.jpg   picture-012.jpg  
Old 05-29-2008, 07:34 PM

Cindy,

How much did you pay for those Neo. pots? I think I'd rather use those than the net pots. Those plastic Neo pots are more attracted.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:39 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Arlene, they just had one size and they were $3.95 if I remember correctly. I'll be in China Town tomorrow. I'll keep an eye out for any Neo. pots they might have there too.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:20 PM

I saw two pot sizes there and the smaller of the two is $2.50. I also forgot to mention they had some varieties of Den moniliforme. I've never seen Den moniliforme in person before and was surprised at the size. They're TINY! I have a Den at home that has canes ~5 ft tall.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:23 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Arlene, sounds like you need a trip to Japan Town. Hee! Hee! Hee!
Old 05-29-2008, 09:07 PM

bkim -- I have Den. moniliforme on my wish list, but haven't gotten around to getting one. I eventually will.

Cindy -- Let's go!
Old 05-29-2008, 09:25 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Arlene, I love to but I'm currently banned from buying any more orchids until the Gh is up. My husband is complaining of all the plants I got laying around the living room. I'm trying to soften him up into letting me go on that orchid Society trip you invited me to.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:30 PM
Executive Senior Member

All I can say is, Sunday can't come soon enough! I'm really excited!