Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Care Cultivation

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2008, 05:15 PM

Sam_Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool I'm not sure

I have never actually tried "semi" hydroponics, the systems I have tried were ebb and flow, and just watering from above, of those two the ebb and flow worked the best, but needed a HUGE amount of water (i'm talking about 300 liters+), seeing as I have a 4'x8' tray. In both systems I was over feeding, leading to root burn.
I personally don't like pure sphag that much, its to easy to compact out all the air spaces.
I have found that hydroton tends to hold a lot of water by surface tension (the spaces between each little ball are filled with water), and then drys out kinda fast. So you don't get an even slow release of water, (this only applies to flooding the media).

I hope that helps a bit.
Have you ever tried coconut chips? They sell it for growing orchids, I have my noes potted in the "medium" size now, just moved them though, so in a few months I should know if that works.
I'm of the opinion that the media type is irrelevant so long as you water and feed according to the same media's requirements.

BTW, I'm so glad I found this topic, I love my little neo, but I thought it was all alone among its kind. To find out it has such a prestigious background is thrilling, and the color variants are stunning. I love the red and white color combination, good thing its one of the cheaper variants.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:32 PM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

pikevi is just really nicepikevi is just really nicepikevi is just really nicepikevi is just really nicepikevi is just really nice
An absolute beauty, Sam_Smith.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:11 PM

Talking Just Sam

Thanks, hey your from Ontario? how about this winter a? Enjoying the snow?
Old 03-20-2008, 11:33 PM

I was looking at first rays

semi-hydroponics, and I think this method has a lot of promise for neos, with the holes 1" from the base of the pot the main thing to remember is to flush the pot so as to flush the fert buildup, since fert doesn't evaporate , anyway if you try semi-hydro let me know how it works, im going to start experimenting with it, since I have over 2 bags of hydroton.

Sam.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:37 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

jay is on a distinguished road
Sam,

I have two Neofenitia's in S/H right now. Both are growing new leaves and my Suikaden has just developed a new growth.

As for the flushing. When I water (2-3 times per week) I fill the pot rapidly so the fertilized water reaches the top and then drains down to the holes. This helps flush out the reservoir.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:41 AM

Remeber to Flush!!

Heh, from my experimentation with full hydro I can tell you flushing is important, sounds perfect what you do jay, that would be the only problem I can see with this "semi-hydro" method is salt buildup since you use fert all the time, but if you flush this should keep the salt under control. What I'm wondering is if semi-hydro grows plants faster then traditional methods, I know some plants like phrags and paphs would be realy happy but they are terrestrials, and love to keep their feet wet.

Sam.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:25 AM
Super Moderator Photobucket

brookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of light
Here you go Jenny I know it took me forever. They are looking pretty good, and seem to be happy. The Benisuzume has actually grown a lot since I recieved it. It has 4 very small growths, I thought at first it only had 3.
Attached Thumbnails
neos.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to brookn For This Useful Post:
krpot (03-15-2010)
Old 04-04-2008, 01:44 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,954 Times in 1,166 Posts
patticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of light
I got my first Neo a couple of weeks ago- I love it! I can't wait for it to bloom. I have it under gro-lights.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:58 AM

brookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of light
I really enjoy mine. I should have put in my post that I repotted the two big ones on Sunday, and I tried to mound them the best I could. The humidity here has been so outrageous that I could not get the spagh to stick to my bottle that I was using as a form. I told Jenny that I would post a pic so I finally did. Is yours a regular Neo patti? The big one in the pic is an Ascofinetia Cherry Blossom, the med. one Neofinetia falcata, and the little bitty (and was kinda expensive compared to the two others) Neofinetia Benisuzume. I bought the little one because the flowers will be this rich magenta, pink, and white. I am dying for it to bloom.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:06 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

patticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookn View Post
I really enjoy mine. I should have put in my post that I repotted the two big ones on Sunday, and I tried to mound them the best I could. The humidity here has been so outrageous that I could not get the spagh to stick to my bottle that I was using as a form. I told Jenny that I would post a pic so I finally did. Is yours a regular Neo patti? The big one in the pic is an Ascofinetia Cherry Blossom, the med. one Neofinetia falcata, and the little bitty (and was kinda expensive compared to the two others) Neofinetia Benisuzume. I bought the little one because the flowers will be this rich magenta, pink, and white. I am dying for it to bloom.
Mine is a Neofinetia falcata x self It's about 4" tall. There's two nice fans, 1 medium fan, and I'm just seeing 2 tiny fans poking out! I just love the whole structure of it! I'll post a pic of it when I get back from our trip!

Last edited by patticake; 04-04-2008 at 07:08 AM.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:57 AM
V.I.P Member

sandra is on a distinguished road
Sam, was that Hydroton you were using in that pic? Were you growing it hydroponically or semi? I've seen a lot of nurseries using the Hydroton as their potting medium, grown regularly, not s/h and especially on Phals (with a little coir added) and they swear by it. I have a few Catts. in the Hydroton and they're not complaining either.

That neo in your pic is gorgeous!
OK, I see you answered these questions in post #76...I wasn't reading in sequential order. So, ignore what I've asked.

Last edited by sandra; 04-04-2008 at 08:02 AM.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:04 AM
V.I.P Member

oooooh, pretty neo's you've got there brookn and they look great in those pots!
Old 04-04-2008, 08:49 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

articuno75 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Here you go Jenny I know it took me forever. They are looking pretty good, and seem to be happy. The Benisuzume has actually grown a lot since I recieved it. It has 4 very small growths, I thought at first it only had 3.
They look great and I love the pots! You got the glazed one from Dr. Lehr too? I love the one with the feet, it's sooo cute! And you did such an awesome job at repotting. It looks better than mine, and I have mine, well did the one at least, in the traditional mound.

All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed: in life that which is unnoticed has the most power.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:55 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Vivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really nice
I'm digging the pot with the feet as well. Where did you get it?? My neo and ascos are in regular clay pots with coco fiber (a few bark chips in the bottom). I know, boring, but my neo is going crazy with roots!!
Old 04-04-2008, 11:02 AM

I ordered the pots from Dr. Lehr at New World Orchids, I needed them for the two I had, so that's when I decided I needed the Benisuzume also. He gave me a great deal on 3 pots, but I have left little one where it is for right now, I have a smaller footed one for it. The coco fiber did not work well for me, when I depotted, I had some rot in the center of the roots. It was a bear to remove from the roots also. I told Jenny it was like burned Barbie hair, not for me, yech. They are really happy where they are, and I did repot while they are in active growth, so that helps.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:08 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Vivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really niceVivienne is just really nice
Thanks Brook. I know I should put them in sphag but I'm very afraid of overwatering.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:26 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

When the spagh gets crunchy on the outside is when you need to water again. Don't let them dry out completely. Only in the winter do they have a dry period.

All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed: in life that which is unnoticed has the most power.
The Following User Says Thank You to articuno75 For This Useful Post:
krpot (07-20-2010)
Old 04-04-2008, 03:30 PM
Executive Senior Member Photobucket

arleneg is a jewel in the rougharleneg is a jewel in the rougharleneg is a jewel in the rougharleneg is a jewel in the rough
Brook -- Very nice Neos you have. I love the short footed pot. Is it glazed or unglazed?

Viv -- I don't think you can overwater a Neo, as long as you wait until the sphag is a little dry/crunchy. Plus, if you pot it traditionally, the sphag dries out a little faster.

When I check when it's time to water, I touch the top mound and the cavity (by putting my pinky inside)...that is if you have a hole in the bottom large enough to fit your pinky in.

By the way, my Neo. falcata 'Yodonamatsu' has a flower spike! I can hardly wait for it to bloom!
Old 04-04-2008, 06:57 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Jenny - here are my two Neo's I was telling you about.

The first two photos are of my Neofinetia falcata 'Shoutennou' - I believe this will have red to purplish color in the stems and flowers.

The second two are of Neofinetia falcata 'Suikaden' - I believe is a greenish color form. It is also the bean type.

I feel like I got a great deal on these from a small little plant shop in Japan Town in San Francisco.
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg  
krpot (07-20-2010)
Old 04-04-2008, 07:09 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay View Post
Jenny - here are my two Neo's I was telling you about.

The first two photos are of my Neofinetia falcata 'Shoutennou' - I believe this will have red to purplish color in the stems and flowers.

The second two are of Neofinetia falcata 'Suikaden' - I believe is a greenish color form. It is also the bean type.

I feel like I got a great deal on these from a small little plant shop in Japan Town in San Francisco.

Your Shu Ten Nou is definitely BS. Mine is smaller than that and it bloomed for me. You Suikaden looks to be BS, if not it will be shortly.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:15 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Jenny - I see that you added spaces for the Shu Ten Nou and wondered if we have two different varieties. If you look at the second picture you can see the tag it came with is labeled Shutennou.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:27 PM

arleneg is a jewel in the rougharleneg is a jewel in the rougharleneg is a jewel in the rougharleneg is a jewel in the rough
Jay,

Do you remember the name of the plant shop you bought them from? I live an hour away from SF and visit every now and then, and would like to check out that plant shop next time I'm in town.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:32 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Arlene - It was in the Japanese Cultural Center. It is more or less a mall of Japanese shops and restaurants. It was located near the large two level bookstore. I don't remember the shop, but they had Neo's and bonsai.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:40 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay View Post
Jenny - I see that you added spaces for the Shu Ten Nou and wondered if we have two different varieties. If you look at the second picture you can see the tag it came with is labeled Shutennou.

No, they're the same. Just two different spellings. You can spell either way. Actually there are three different spelling for this variety.

Shu Ten Nou
Shoutenno
??? I can't remember the other one,,,But I know it has the letter "Y" in it.

Last edited by articuno75; 04-04-2008 at 07:43 PM.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:59 PM

Arlene it seems to have some kind of glazing on it but it is very flat looking, it did not change color when it was wet , and it is very smooth, I believe it is unglazed partly on the inside. I guess it could be painted, I just am not real sure.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:50 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

YEAH! I finally found some little bonsai pots in town and grabbed them up for my Neo and Ascos. Here they are all potted up with sphag. What do you think?

The Following User Says Thank You to Vivienne For This Useful Post:
krpot (07-20-2010)
Old 04-08-2008, 12:56 PM

Jay -- Thanks. I've been there several times before and have an idea which store(s) you were referring to. I'll visit next time I'm in SF.

Brook -- Ok, I know what you're talking about. I've seen those matte glazed looking pots.

Viv -- Great job on the potting! Love the pots you found.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:11 PM

Jenny I got them all from Dr. Lehr. I think the other spelling for Shu Ten Nou is Soyotenno or something similar.

Viv- nice pots!
Old 04-08-2008, 10:47 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Viv~ They're adorable!
Brook~ It's something like that. I'll hunt it down.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:06 AM
V.I.P Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivienne View Post
YEAH! I finally found some little bonsai pots in town and grabbed them up for my Neo and Ascos. Here they are all potted up with sphag. What do you think?

Vivienne, those little pots are really nice. I love the way your Neo and Ascos look...a very Asian feel to the whole thing. I cancelled my order on a Neo last month when I realized my pockets weren't deep enough but I've got some extra spending money once again and I'm definitely going to get myself one. Your pics here just sold me.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:27 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Oak Hills Sandra!!! My Neo above (the plant up front) was $16 (at a show) and had 4 growths. Nice healthy plant!!
Old 04-13-2008, 03:19 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Quote:
Jenny I got them all from Dr. Lehr. I think the other spelling for Shu Ten Nou is Soyotenno or something similar.

Viv- nice pots!
I found the three spellings.

1. Shu Ten Nou
2. Shutenno
3. Syutenno

There all the same plant meaning "Red Emperor".

Old 04-13-2008, 01:27 PM

Aha, I knew it was something close! Well my little Red Emperor is growing like a weed right now . And with the way it gets fussed over, it certainly makes sense.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:54 AM

Sorry bout the lapse

Yes Sandra it is hydroton, I moved them to coco chips though when I decommissioned my hydroponics system I use hydroton in the base for drainage now, and for some plants like den. unicum I mixed 50:50 hydroton coco chips hopefully it will make the mix dry out faster, I like this mix. Unfortunately the coco chips will eventually decompose leaving the hydroton, means Ill have to sort the stuff out but thats years away.

Sam.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sam_Smith For This Useful Post:
krpot (07-20-2010)
Old 04-29-2008, 11:30 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,245 Times in 759 Posts
solay is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

I recently bought a Neofinetia falcata and mounted it. It's been around 3 weeks.

Yes Fred I used wire but have switched to fishing line since the last post. Compare first picture to the second one.

It is looking as if it's shriveling and one leaf has turned brown. Do you think I need to water more? The spagh. dries up daily and so I mist it until wet daily too. The roots seem to look OK and is growing but the plant itself doesn't look too healthy to me. The leaves are bending and folding up slowly.

Articuno75, I think this is a white one. Know the name? The label just said Neofinetia falcata. I loved the story when I looked for info. on it about how the culture of this orchid was reserved only for the elite. That's why I bought it. Plus it's suppose to be very fragrant. Please look at the poor thing and see if I'm killing it. Thanks a bunch.
Attached Thumbnails
neofinetia-falcata.jpg   neofinetia-falcata-08.jpg  
Old 04-30-2008, 01:11 AM

Solay, it doesn't look too bad, it's probably not getting hydrated enough. Sometimes when you mist mounts even thoough it is damp on the outside, it may not be getting enough moisture on the inside. It could also be that they are getting too much water. I would wiggle a finger down into the moss before watering to see if it is damp on the inside, if it is wait another day. If it is totally dry when you check, then soak, soak, soak, and check the center so you can see if it is getting moisture with the watering.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:28 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Solay~ I can't tell in the pic from the flash, but I think there might be two things going on. One is the possiblity of lack of water. The other I need a closer pic of the leaves. Reason is it looks like there is "silver" traces on the backside of the leaves. This could be mites. AGAIN it could be the camera flash.

Instead of misting, fully water (soak) every other day or every couple of days. (When you notice the moss crunchy) Be sure to soak for at least a half hour. You're in a dryer enviroment than here, and my apartment is pretty dry.

Still mist as usual, and make sure that these have plenty of air circulation.

If you can get some closer pics of the leaves please.

Oh yeah. It's just Neofinetia falcata. No variation, just a general type or "Fu-Ran" type. "Fu-Ran" means wind.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:31 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

On an unfortunate and sad note, my Shu Ten Nou met the great Orchid Gods in orchid heaven and the Gekkeikan is struggling, yet I think is soon to follow.

Again I will stress that window cleaner is so not good on orchids.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:39 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Yeah it's hard to tell from the pictures. Will take more and post. The white stuff came with the plant. Kinda like deposits of something. I figured it was something that it was sprayed with before I got it. Thanks for the suggestions. So that's it for the name. Great. Thanks again.
Old 05-02-2008, 02:39 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Here are come more pics. Sorry it's blurry since I don't really know how to use the camera very well. Anyhow the leaf turned brown and there is definitely a reddish brown coloring on the bottom of the plant above the roots.

Then as I was touching the leaf it just fell off. It was totally brown and crispy. Do you think I should remove the plant from the cork? Now the left over leaves look somewhat OK except I'm worried about the dark coloring on the bottom of that particular fan. I don't know if it is normal or should it be all green. The problem is on the first plant on top. (see last picture)

What should I do? Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
napoy-008.jpg   napoy-011.jpg   napoy-015.jpg   napoy-035.jpg   napoy-028.jpg  
Old 05-02-2008, 10:05 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Whatever you do don't use window cleaner! LOL

These boogers are so stinking sensitive. Is this in a lot of light by chance? Many factors can be the reason and I have a reason why I ask this.

The darkening at the base can be caused by too much light exposure. In the past, these plants were harvested to produce ink, and when exposed to excessive amounts of light they darken at the base and the "ink" could be extracted, even though in very small amounts. Can you imagine how many plants it took to make this ink? Now you know why only the rich Sho Guns had them.

I'm thinking lack of water. Try soaking the mount for a longer period of time. If you notice the darkening to spread, then we have something entirely different. Also you might try moving the mount to a shaded area if it's not there now. See if that lightens it up. Give it a week or two and we'll go from there.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:00 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

OK. I'll try that. I also bought some worm tea and sprayed some of it. Hope that'll help it. Thanks. I almost forgot. That is interesting about the ink Jenny. The things people did in history sometimes are so amazing. You wonder who and how they came up the the idea in the first place.

Last edited by solay; 05-02-2008 at 01:05 PM.
Old 05-03-2008, 04:21 AM
V.I.P Member

pikevi is just really nicepikevi is just really nicepikevi is just really nicepikevi is just really nicepikevi is just really nice
Hello solay.

I am not an expert. I have about 4 Neofinetias. I had had not come across any 'mounted' Neos when I did my research for my first one. I'd think, along with articuno75's suggestion, lack of or insufficient air flow to the roots may be a problem too.

I also believe they need lots of moisture both in the roots and the air.

May be someone else can add more to it.

Good luck.
Old 05-03-2008, 12:47 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanks, Pikevi. I will see if the symptoms get worse. If is does I might remove them and put them in a basket or in one of those special pots have with spahg. Thanks again.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:52 PM
Newbie Photobucket

OnicheK is on a distinguished road
OK, got a neo as well -- have no idea what kind. I got it on Ebay and it has two growths -- it's been a bit lazy for now...

Excuse my complete ignorance, but... what's S/H? I got into growing 'chids about 2 months ago and I keep buying things

Some of them feel fine with me, since they give me some keikis, but I still have to work hard on the others.

Anyways, the people from NWO are coming to UK this year, so I'll take advantage of this. Plus, I do speak Japanese (even if I'm Romanian originally) and I have friends living in Japan, so I guess I'll try to take advantage of the situation, since I fell in love with the Neos as well.

They're related to the Aerangis, right? I love those two and the flowers seem similar.

Anyways, I hope you can tolerate a perfect neophyte into the group, right? Thank you

Best regards from Italy,

Oana.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:44 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

OnicheK~ S/H is short for Semi-Hydroponics

Neofinetias are in a genus of their own, but some experts argue that they are of Vanda Alliance.

If you got it on eBay, it's probably just a plain Neofinetia falcata. A Fu-Ran type.

I can't remember if they're related to Aerangis or not. I'll have to double check that one.

Enjoy your Neo! I so loved mine....When they were alive.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:21 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Jenny, I think you need to replace them ASAP. Sounds like you have neodepressititis.

OnicheK, I got mine off e-bay too. I bought 2 and I guess mine is the ordinary type. There are so many more and in different colors. I hope yours do well. Mine is a little sluggish too but I am getting new roots now. Good Luck.
Old 05-10-2008, 04:48 AM
Newbie Photobucket

Good news!

Even if I watered them yesterday, I didn't quite watch them all -- I know, I know, my bad!

Anyways, my very ordinary Neo has a very extraordinary 5 mm new root!!!

I'm jumping with joy over here! I can only hope I treat it well enough to live, grow and... FLOWER

Jenny, I'm sorry to hear yours died I only got to the end of the first page of the thread, I guess...

I still need to learn a lot on potting -- I only use stuff I buy in shops and I'm not very happy with it. I personally hate sphagnum 'cause it got 2 of my Phals sick -- they started to get pithyum on the roots. One I bought in this way from a Supermarket and it had all the roots rotten. The other one I had it for a year and it was blooming when I saw the state of it's roots. I still have them both in treatment, hoping they'll survive.

As for Aerangis, I meant Angrecum, sorry. The shape of the plant is different, but the flower seems very similar. I'm thinking especially of the Angrecum Sesquipedale.

Eh, anyway, I'll let you know how my "career" goes with the 'chids

Oana.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:29 AM
V.I.P Member

kid a is on a distinguished road
Ok guys I finally got one for mothers day/anniversary gift!!! I picked up one of the tall Japanese pots. I can't decide between repotting the sedieria japonica in it or the neo. The only thing is I'm scared to repot them in the traditional method in the ball of sphag because of the roots on both of them. Another question: which method would seem better the one with the cavity in the sphag or no cavity in the sphag? Here is the pot and the plants.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/Ki...ws?ref=profile
Old 05-12-2008, 05:28 AM
Executive Senior Member

patlee is on a distinguished road
Good Morning Kid A, Both Solay and I have been going round and round about this. She has mounted her neo and I am just waiting to get a cork slab to mount mine. She has new root growth, so, while you don't hear about too many neos being mounted, I think it might be the way to go Neither one of us are very comfortable with spagh and that mound- of- moss planting style

PAT
Old 05-12-2008, 11:38 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Kortney, the best method I found is the one with the cavity. Reason is because the air can get to the roots better and the circulation is amplified. If there is no cavity I found that the roots ended up with the onset of rot. Remember, if you break any roots, it's okay. Do not remove them as they continue to grow!

Old 05-12-2008, 02:10 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanks Jenny and patlee! I would like to mount a piece also but am a bit nervous because I have never mounted anything let alone owned my own mounted orchid. I counted them last night and it looks like there is 7 plants in the pot. I don't know if I want to divide though!

Old 05-12-2008, 04:46 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Oh I wouldn't. Bigger the plant the better, especially on Neos. They put an awesome show. Where did you get your plant, if you don't mind my asking?

Old 05-12-2008, 06:30 PM
Executive Senior Member

patlee is on a distinguished road
The neo was Solay's first mount and it will be mine too when I get the slabs of cork I need this weekend. I think the thing that finally decided her is that she is uncomfortable with sphag. The thing that decided me is that she has new roots--And the sphag.thing,too. What better way to get air to the roots

PAT
Old 05-13-2008, 04:56 PM
V.I.P Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by articuno75 View Post
Oh I wouldn't. Bigger the plant the better, especially on Neos. They put an awesome show. Where did you get your plant, if you don't mind my asking?
I got it at Hoosier Orchids. They had about 15 left all around the same size with great roots, $35 each. None in flower, potted in small bark and lava rock. They all looked so pretty it took me 30 min to decide which one I wanted. I think I might have to water every day in that mix. I was watering every two days because I didn't want to overdo it, but there are so many roots I can't get a finger down to the mix, the plants are basically on top of tangled roots. I don't want to stab a root with a skewer. How often do you guys soak or water your neo's?

Old 05-14-2008, 01:39 AM

Kortney,

I soak mine every other day since the weather here has gotten warmer and dryer.

P.S. -- Mine is traditionally potted in a sphag mound. However, I'm thinking of switching to small coconut husk chips/perlite/charcoal mix.

Last edited by arleneg; 05-14-2008 at 01:08 PM. Reason: added p.s.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:45 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

I water mine mounted on the bark every other day too and mist daily. So far so good. I think. The moss dries up totally in 2 days here.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:29 AM

Our humidity has been very high, and mine are potted traditionally in sphag, so it takes them about 6+ days to dry out enough for another soaking.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:17 PM
V.I.P Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleneg View Post

P.S. -- Mine is traditionally potted in a sphag mound. However, I'm thinking of switching to small coconut husk chips/perlite/charcoal mix.
That is pretty similar to what mine is potted in. I am such a worrier though! lol I was thinking maybe my airflow is to much (is that possible, my fan is tiny but strong?) the baby jewel orchid I have is at the far end and while it stays moist the ends dry out quickly and the tips get crunchy and blackish colored. My humidity is usually between 40 60 mostly around 50 -55 though. I was thinking maybe potting in sphag would help me gauge when it needs soaked but the sphag tips might get crunchy quickly. They seem to be doing great still maybe my new orchid worries are just getting the best of me

Old 05-14-2008, 11:50 PM

elitebettas is on a distinguished road
Solay,
Don't distress over the neos, if you just mounted them give them time to acclimate to the mount. The moss depending on your home's conditions may dry out daily as it does with mine. I drench the moss on my mounts every two days if grown in the home with good air circulation. Give it intermediate light as well.Pic is of my neo mount.
Attached Thumbnails
dsc02544.jpg   dsc02548.jpg  
Old 05-15-2008, 01:29 AM

Kortney,

My sphag has been getting crunchy everyday, now that the weather here has gotten warmer and dryer. However, I recently bought an evaporative cooler for my orchid room. So the humidity level has been in the 60%, sometimes 70%, range. So I'm not too worried if I don't soak my Neo for 2 days.
Old 05-18-2008, 05:40 PM
Newbie Photobucket

Hello all,

Getting back to a conversation had with Jenny and wondering about Neo's parents, I found this on a Japanese site: ????????

They say Neofinetia falcata = Angraecum falcatum. So they may be parents after all?

What do you think?
Old 05-18-2008, 07:24 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnicheK View Post
Hello all,

Getting back to a conversation had with Jenny and wondering about Neo's parents, I found this on a Japanese site: ????????

They say Neofinetia falcata = Angraecum falcatum. So they may be parents after all?

What do you think?
Neofinetia falcata is a species of it's own. Years ago it was listed as several names due to the inabilty of people not being able to make up their minds as to how to catagorize this plant. Angraecum falcatum is one of those obsolete genus names that was used along with several others. Here is a link that has more information about it. The link also entails about the species Neofinetia richardsiana. The difference between the two is only the spur size.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:38 PM
Executive Senior Member

hera is on a distinguished road
Articuno75
Maybe you said this already, the thread is so long, but is there a Neo that you would recomend for a starter. Your interest has peaked mine. Thanks.
Old 05-18-2008, 07:53 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by hera View Post
Articuno75
Maybe you said this already, the thread is so long, but is there a Neo that you would recomend for a starter. Your interest has peaked mine. Thanks.

Hi Hera!!!

All of them are appeasing. It just depends on your tastes, (color, scent, patience, how much you want to spend ) Some are slow growers and some have rapid growth. Some bloom several times a year, then others bloom once every couple of years (yet the variegated leaves make up for it ) If you're scarred you might kill it and don't want to spend a whole lot of money on one, I recommend the original Fu-Ran form. They can run anywhere from $10-$25. If you like variegated leaves and different colored blooms then the price goes up depending on the number of growths. Scent on them can vary distinctly from spicy, tropical to flowery, even smelling like bubblegum!

Old 05-19-2008, 12:54 AM
V.I.P Member

I got brave today!!!

So first I want to thank you all who have been discussing neos on this thread! Great big thanks to Jenny!!!!

I finally decided to get up my courage and get over repotting worries and repot my neo in its pretty little pot. I had to cut the plastic pot off so I didn't break the roots off. I did accidentally brake 2 roots completely off, but (suprise) I'm not that worried about it because it had so many roots I was actually wondering if I could get it to fit into the pot. There were no dead or rotting roots which is great There are some areas on the leaves I am a bit concerned about. There were teeny tiny red spidery looking bugs on it when I got so I used brookn's fantastic recipe and I haven't seen any since. Two of the leaves looked like they were attacked by them or something and there were a few little places that were black, rot or bug damage, but after using Brookn's fantastic recipe they have since dried up. (I'm sad about those spots) But overall i think I am definitely not killing it!!!
I really wanted to try to pot it with a cavity in the sphag but I decided it wasn't possible because of all the roots. It was tough getting it in the pot and tough getting the sphag to do what I wanted it to do because the strands were pretty short. But here are the before and after pictures!!!
Before:

After:

Last edited by kid a; 05-19-2008 at 08:47 AM.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:35 PM
Newbie Photobucket

Hello to all of you,

Here's some more info I found: Neofinetia falcata -- samurai orchid

I know you probably new/read that already, but for me it's wonderful discovering this

Great job, Kid A! Your Neo if absolutely GORGEOUS!!!

Last edited by OnicheK; 05-22-2008 at 06:15 AM.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:41 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Kortney, I really love how you got yours set up. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!!!

Old 05-21-2008, 02:56 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanks Jenny and OnicheK, It took me a long time to repot it because the sphag was so short. But I think It turned out great. The roots are definitely getting more water now and they were slightly wrinkled but have recovered. The leaves are also turning a more uniform deep green color now too. It took about about three days for the sphag on top to dry to very slightly moist.

I think I can let out a sigh of relief now and say Dang, I'm getting good at repotting now. I think I'll repot the sedieria japonica that way in a few weeks or so.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:35 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thumbs up Back in Action !

Woo hoo !!!

The Replacement....

Brookn~ You were right! It is them. I contacted the seller and his name is Satomi. Yes that is their website and yes it will be up and running in the near future !!! Very pleasant communication.

I got this plant off of eBay. Very pleased, and the plant is in excellent condition.

Now pics of my new Neofinetia falcata Shu Ten Nou.
(No window cleaner for this one !)
Attached Thumbnails
001-419.jpg   001-430.jpg  

Old 05-22-2008, 09:11 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Aw, Jenny! Don't you want them to sparkle & shine?
That's one story that I'll never forget......
I love your new baby!! Did you get it from New World orchids? It's potted like mine was from them.

Last edited by patticake; 05-22-2008 at 09:14 PM.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:37 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

I got it from eBay. A grower that has been dealing and raising Neos for 25+ years. It was the first time that they done eBay! Anyways they have a website that is in the making. They have just as many Neos and Dens as what NWO has. I am very impressed with this Neo, both in the potting and quality. Price was good too.

I got his contact numbers as he does have others available, just not on auction,,,,and since the site is still not up.... You can send an email on what you want and he can send the information about it as well as the prices.

Until the site is up and running, you'd have to know what Neo you want specifically.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:13 PM

Ha! That thing is gorgeous! My spidey-sense was on key for once. I just knew it was them. Maybe they have a Seibotan for me....Oh my aching wallet.
Old 05-23-2008, 04:50 PM

bkim is on a distinguished road
Has anyone tried different potting / mounting techniques? I've seen some people mount to rocks, S/H, put them in empty vases, and then there is this: Species Specific Forum : Growing Orchids and Hybrids :: View topic - Monster Neof. falcata

I bought a large specimen Fu-ran last month that is in a clay pot with gravel and coarse succulent rock. It's doing very well so far but I need to water almost every day.

I can see the advantages of a medium or mount that cannot rot -- no pests, less rot, better drainage, more air flow, less repotting.... but I guess it comes down to your growing environment and how much time you have to invest daily.

I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Old 05-23-2008, 05:08 PM
V.I.P Member

So glad to see you got another Neo. Now it can become just a funny memory that you'll someday share with your daughter when her daughter puts Clorox in her mother's colored wash...or something like that.

Enjoy!

P.S. What color will the flowers be?