• 1 Post By xKTx
  • 1 Post By -k-
  • 1 Post By Catt Mandu
  • 1 Post By jsehorn

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2017, 10:59 PM

jsehorn is on a distinguished road
My paph experiment

I have very little experience with paphs. When I was a teenager, I had one of the Maudiae type paphs, and it did great for several years, but when I went to college, I didn't have room to take my plants and it eventually died at my mom's house

Anyway, back in January, I saw a group of six of the green leaf, cooler growing type paphs on eBay. They were all in bud and for a good price, so I bought them. I don't know if they'll bloom indoors, but for about two months in the fall, we get the kind of warm days and cool nights they prefer, so I'm hoping that if I put them outside during that time, it will be enough to get them to bloom.

I got them, and it seemed very strange to me what they were potted in. It looked like about half and half perlite and little styrofoam pellets. I didn't like it, and I had a mix of small Orchiata, hydroton, and sponge rock on hand, so I decided to repot them in that. I like to repot all my new plants anyway. As I was unpotting them, I realized they had barely any roots at all. A couple of them had one good root, but the others' roots were dead down to little nubs at the base of the plants, and one of them was completely rootless. The plants still appeared in good shape, so whatever killed the roots probably happened quickly and recently.

I knew I should have cut off the buds to try to save the plants, but I figured as little as I paid, I'd just let it go and hope for the best. If they died, I didn't pay that much for them, and at least I got to enjoy the flowers.

They bloomed well and the flowers lasted for several weeks, but then they kind of languished along for a while, and the leaves got floppy, and I thought for sure they were gone (except the two that had a good root when I got them; they were okay), but I just left them. About a month ago, I noticed the leaves didn't seem as floppy, and then today as I was inspecting them, I can see little root tips starting to push against the sides of the pots!!! (I love those clear pots)

So there's some pics of a few of the blooms, and the whole lot of plants as of today, and the little root tips you can see through the sides of the pots (I'm weird, but I think the root tips on orchids are sooooo cute ).

I haven't posted here in a long time, and just wanted to share that. I'll let you know whether or not I can get them to bloom again next year lol
Attached Thumbnails
img_0321.jpg   img_0322.jpg   img_0324.jpg   img_0334.jpg   img_0769.jpg   img_0771.jpg   img_0770.jpg  
sunshine, xKTx and Catt Mandu like this.
Old 03-31-2017, 02:06 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 3,398 Times in 1,224 Posts
Bolero is on a distinguished road
Paphs are an addiction quite apart from normal orchid addictions (in my opinion).

They are very special and I have about 1000 of them as a result (definitely too many to grow them properly). So good luck with your new plants. Look forward to seeing them flower again and they look quite nice from your photos.
jsehorn likes this.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:39 PM

xKTx is on a distinguished road
Good Luck! They look awesome. I've just purchased my first paph in a couple years a week ago, and stuck it in pure orchiata mix. What kind of humidity are yours getting?
jsehorn likes this.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:45 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,720 Times in 1,018 Posts
-k- is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=Bolero;403513]Paphs are an addiction quite apart from normal orchid addictions (in my opinion).

They are very special and I have about 1000 of them as a result (definitely too many to grow them properly).QUOTE]
.... That's too funny
jsehorn likes this.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:13 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,720 Times in 1,018 Posts
-k- is on a distinguished road
That's a great bundle of paphs! Give them a little tlc and I'm sure they'll do just fine for you!
Old 03-31-2017, 11:11 PM

LOLOLOL, I think I see what you mean about paph addiction. I mean, my first paph purchase was not one, but six plants

And regarding the humidity, it's usually around 50% in the winter in the grow area. They'll be outside most of the spring and fall, and our humidity gets pretty high then, typically 70% and up. I think when it's 90 degrees outside in August, I'd better bring them in where it's cooler tho, don't you guys think?

I really am surprised that they've recovered so fast, or even at all. They looked pretty rough there for a little while, and it seems like with no pseudobulbs, being rootless would be really hard on them, but they seem to like whatever it is that I'm doing, so I'll just keep doing it and hope for the best. I've already been kind of looking around the internet trying to decide what Paph I'll buy next if these bloom for me again next year
Old 04-01-2017, 02:13 PM
V.I.P Member

Catt Mandu is on a distinguished road
Jeff, I only have one Paph at the moment (see post from me on January 4). I like them, but am only just now figuring our how to grow them (meaning, I haven't killed mine . . . yet). BTW, the plant in my January 4 post is still blooming.

Yours look great, and you are certainly growing them well with that king of root growth!
jsehorn likes this.
Old 04-01-2017, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt Mandu View Post
Jeff, I only have one Paph at the moment (see post from me on January 4). I like them, but am only just now figuring our how to grow them (meaning, I haven't killed mine . . . yet). BTW, the plant in my January 4 post is still blooming.

Yours look great, and you are certainly growing them well with that king of root growth!
That's impressive! The blooms on mine only lasted about three or four weeks. Are they supposed to stay in bloom longer?

And I didn't think to include this in the original post, but one of the plants has two growths, and both of them were in bud, and both of the flowers were deformed in this way (see pic). I doubt that some cultural condition would have caused both flowers to be deformed in exactly the same way, so it's probably genetic, and the plant will probably always bloom like this, right?

The plants I bought were all previously unbloomed seedlings, so I didn't know what colors they would be, and I really really hoped for a green one. This one was the first one to bloom, and I was excited because I could tell that it was green as the flower began to open, and then I was disappointed when it opened far enough that I saw that the pouch is deformed, and the flowers never really opened all the way. But you can see in the pics in the original post that I did end up with a good green one, so I'm happy
Attached Thumbnails
sadpaph.jpg  
Catt Mandu likes this.

Last edited by jsehorn; 04-01-2017 at 10:12 PM.
Old 04-07-2017, 06:04 AM
V.I.P Member

Catt Mandu is on a distinguished road
I would let it re-bloom a few times to see if it changes.

The times I've seen flower deformities were after using various hormone products on orchids. I once use Dynagro KLN too frequently (more than recommended on the package) to induce better root production. I got great roots, as expected, but some of the flowers had fused sepals and petals. I have also seen deformed flowers on flower stems I treated with keiki paste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsehorn View Post
That's impressive! The blooms on mine only lasted about three or four weeks. Are they supposed to stay in bloom longer?

And I didn't think to include this in the original post, but one of the plants has two growths, and both of them were in bud, and both of the flowers were deformed in this way (see pic). I doubt that some cultural condition would have caused both flowers to be deformed in exactly the same way, so it's probably genetic, and the plant will probably always bloom like this, right?

The plants I bought were all previously unbloomed seedlings, so I didn't know what colors they would be, and I really really hoped for a green one. This one was the first one to bloom, and I was excited because I could tell that it was green as the flower began to open, and then I was disappointed when it opened far enough that I saw that the pouch is deformed, and the flowers never really opened all the way. But you can see in the pics in the original post that I did end up with a good green one, so I'm happy