Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Care Cultivation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2008, 08:08 AM
Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 5,389 Times in 3,096 Posts
katrina is on a distinguished road
Question mounted Coelogyne Pandurata and OH winters

Hi Everyone! I'm new to this forum and after checking things out I believe I will learn a LOT from everyone here! I'm still relatively new to orchids -- my addiction began 2 years ago and it's now out of control.

I've recently begun branching out of some the "usuals" I can find here in OH and I'm about to purchase a specimen sized Coelogyne Pandurata mounted on a 10"x12" cork slab. I'm new to this orchid and I've never worked w/a mounted orchid.

I've searched and searched and really haven't found a definitive answer to something...I'm hoping someone can help me out.

Everything I've found so far (here and elsewhere) states this orchid needs a "full resting" period from around Oct (or leaf drop) - Mar (or until new growth begins). No watering during this time. I can do the resting period no problem...however, all the other info I've found is conflicting. Some sites say humidity must be maintained at 60% or greater -- other sites say lower humidity (around 40%) during resting is OK. Some sites say coolers temps are ok during the rest and some say never below 65 degrees F. Ay Yi Yi -- what's a person to do?

This is a beautiful orchid so naturally I want it in my collection but it's not a cheapie so I'd rather go into this with a fighting chance of keeping it alive.

A little about my growing conditions.....All of my orchids spend the summer outside -- and they love it. Living in central OH and not having a greenhouse -- they come inside to their specially arranged room during the winter. The room has floor to ceiling (12ft) windows facing East and facing South. Hangers from the ceiling for those that need hanging. Shelves build for those that can be on shelves. Even a home-made orchid-arium for some of my babies and the small vandas. I mist regularly for those that need it and have fans for those than need the extra air movement. During the coldest part of the winter (typically late Dec - Early-mid Feb) temperatures are no lower than 55f at night and I kick it up to 65f during the day.

Any suggestions and/or advice you can share would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Katrina

Last edited by katrina; 06-25-2008 at 08:35 AM. Reason: added info
Old 06-25-2008, 11:25 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

jay is on a distinguished road
Hello and welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have a great setup there for your orchids. When you get the chance you should post photos in the "My growing space" thread.

Sorry I don't know much about your new orchid. I am sure that there will be someone along shortly that can help. Please post a picture when you get it. We love pictures.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:44 AM
Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Talking

Hi Jay! Thanks for the welcome!

My set up is definitely basic but I think it's pretty good for a newbie. :-) The room looks great when everyone is inside...right now it's super empty except for the 75g cichlid tank. Not much to take a picture of (except empty shelves and hangers) until fall when everyone comes back in.

The Coelogyne (in spike)...along w/a Cycnoches Jean E Monnier (bloom size), a Cymbidiella Pardaline (bloom size) and a Cymbidium Pendulum Species are being shipped out today. I can't wait! I can't wait! I can't wait! You bet I'll take some pictures! I've learned this little lesson the hard way -- I've had some absolutely beautiful blooms from plants and silly me didn't think (until recently) to take pictures. DUH! Can you believe...I've never taken pictures of anything until about 2 months ago. Double duh!

Thanks again for the welcome and I'll keep checking back throughout the day. Fingers crossed someone can share their insight and experience. I've made the purchase (did it right after I posted - afraid I'd miss out on it) so I'm hoping for the best!

Kat ~
Old 06-25-2008, 12:06 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 6,637 Times in 2,844 Posts
Brooke is on a distinguished road
Hi Kat and welcome. I can tell you how I grow my Coel. here in KY in a greenhouse.

These do not go deciduous for years. Yes, eventually a leaf on the oldest pbulb will drop but they keep their leaves for years. The temps in the winter never go below 60 degrees. I have no clue the low temps it will take. I water it in the winter but the drying time is determined by the temps, cloudy vs sunny, etc., sometimes once a week, sometimes longer, but I don't withhold water for extended periods of time deliberately. During the summer, it gets watered every 3-4 days because of the increased sun and temps.

Mine is planted in a 14" coir lined basket with the chunky CHC mix as the media.
The pbulbs on the pandurata will be or should be quite heavy and the growth pattern of them kind of wander around in a semi-straight line.

And the basket showing the size of my newest and blooming pbulbs with a 6" ruler.

The two small growths is where the spikes originate and what are now the newest pbulb.

I hope this helps and doesn't muddy the water even more.

Brooke
Old 06-25-2008, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Hi Brooke!

Yours is a beauty! You obviously know what you're doing. And, no, it doesn't muddy anything anymore than it already is for me. Your experience does definitely help! It gives me the parameters of what others are doing and what's working for them. All good stuff! Thanks for sharing!

One question for you...since your plant is looking so good and our climates (Oh and KY) are closer than OH and NV...do you recommend that I remove this one from the cork slab (after bloom) and put it in a basket as in your set up? Might that be better for this guy since he'll be in a house rather than a greenhouse?

For anyone that's interested, I've included the picture the grower sent me...the picture that sold me. :-) She's really great about packaging and shipping so I'm soooooo hoping the spike makes the trip from NV.

Thanks again for sharing!
Kat~
Attached Thumbnails
coel-pand.jpg  
Old 06-25-2008, 12:48 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

jay is on a distinguished road
Wow that is great! I can't wait to it bloom out.

I am also very interested in your new Cycnoches. I have recently become obsessed with the whole Catasetinae sub-tribe (Catasetum, Cycnoches, Mormodes, Clowesia) and their hybrids like the Fredclarkeara After Dark.

Please start a new thread when your new orchids arrive.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:57 PM
Administrator

Thanks Jay! Yeah...I'll admit I'm pretty excited (understatement) about the pending arrivals!
Old 06-25-2008, 02:46 PM
V.I.P Member

I don't have a clue if you should change the set up. I do know the mount will get extremely heavy because each new pbulb gets bigger and h-e-a-v-i-e-r than the preceding pbulb. I also don't know how tight the roots cling to the mount and if you would do more damage removing it than leaving it.

Now wasn't that a big help :>)

Brooke
Old 06-25-2008, 04:37 PM
Administrator

Ha - Looking back at my question...I suppose it was asked a little prematurely. I suppose I should wait until it gets here and then it might be easier to figure out.

On the other hand...as nervous as I am about the thought....perhaps it's time I venture into mounted orchids.

Keep the info coming everyone...I'm like a sponge right now and want to hear what's working for others.

Brooke, when the plant gets here, I'll snap an up and close and get your take on it at that time. Thanks for your help!

Kat~
Old 06-25-2008, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator Photobucket

Cynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond repute
Had a pandorata years ago. No leaf drop, as Brooke says, and didn't do anything about a dormancy, but used to let everything back in those days get a bit dry before watering, all year long. Makes me think that the source may have been mixed up as to what orchid they were talking about. I have one now that is finally doing well after I stopped spraying it with that bad neem oil. Actually, this is the second recent pandorata, as the first one was killed outright by the neem oil.

Prescott Orchid Society
Old 06-26-2008, 01:09 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 5,451 Times in 3,014 Posts
kmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond repute
I think you've aquired some pretty bad pandurata advice. They do not have a dry resting period and they do not drop their leaves. They essentially require warm, moist and humid all year round.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:47 PM
Administrator

Since the bug hit me...I've gotten bad advice on the web...not uncommon when you do searches for information. Too bad I didn't know about this site a year ago...I would have less death on my hands LOL! Anyway...the misinformation isn't surprising...much of what I've found regarding the care of the Pandurata has been contradictory. I simply googled the plant and scoured everything I could find.

BTW - My google search is how I found you guys! Good google!

Not having a dry rest won't be a problem...thanks kmarch! As for the other requirements...I might be in trouble. All my plants get moved into the house during the winter and since I live in OH...it's tough to keep the humidity high in a house at that time of the year around here. Not to mention, we keep things on the cool side. Typically 55-58f at night and then it gets cranked up to 65f during the day...this is the coolest....sometimes warmer if weather is warmer.

I suppose I could put it in my home-made 'orchid-arium' -- it's much more humid and warmer. I had a couple of baby vandas in there this past winter and they are doing fabulous. Even had some new growth roots and top growth over the cold months! No blooms yet but they're still very young.

My little homemade contraption I believe is the answer.

What do you think?

Thanks again everyone for sharing your experience...it's really helping me figure this one out.

Kat ~

PS -- Neem oil -- what's it for? I've heard of it...just never looked into what it's used for.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:55 PM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 5,451 Times in 3,014 Posts
kmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by katrina View Post
I suppose I could put it in my home-made 'orchid-arium' -- it's much more humid and warmer. I had a couple of baby vandas in there this past winter and they are doing fabulous. ...

My little homemade contraption I believe is the answer.

What do you think?
I think you're right. I believe your pandurata will probably do well with your vandas during the "indoor months". When I lived back in Michigan I had a friend who hung her pandurata outside under a tree in the summer so I suspect it might do well when your orchids go out for the summer.

Keep us posted on your progress!
Old 06-26-2008, 10:11 PM
Administrator

You bet!

All this talk of the mount has my wheels spinning over the possibility of mounting a couple of my other orchids. I'm thinking...mounting...if it goes well...will open up more room for MORE orchids! I'm running out of space for potted orchids...but I most certainly have plenty of space left on the ceiling for hanging plants! WOOHOO!

Guess what my next research topic will be here.

Thanks again for all the input!

Kat ~
Old 06-27-2008, 02:42 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,954 Times in 1,166 Posts
patticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of lightpatticake is a glorious beacon of light
Hi Katrina, and It's good to have you with us! I'm pretty new to orchids and have never grown a pandorata, but wanted to say hi, anyways! I'm looking forward to photos of your new chids when they arrive!
Old 06-27-2008, 04:00 AM

brookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of light
Hi and welcome. I believe that Clarita is also growing one, and she lives in Chicago. Maybe you could PM her for her experience with it also? Hers just bloomed last month.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:31 AM
Administrator

Hi patticake and brookn -- thanks for the welcome!

I'm not only new to orchids...I'm also new to forums...how do I find a specific person? Probably not a question for this thread ...but....

I'm thinking the newest additions to the family will be here today/tomorrow....can't wait! Crossing my fingers the spike on the Pandurata makes the trip.

Once here...camera will be whipped out!

Thanks again for the welcome
Old 06-27-2008, 08:06 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 2,835 Times in 1,280 Posts
Anton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of lightAnton is a glorious beacon of light
Just be aware panduratas grow VERY BIG !
Old 06-27-2008, 09:30 AM
Administrator

Yeah...good point...I have heard/read that.

The home-made contraption is in a 55gal aquarium I converted so it'll work for this year..maybe even a couple years (not sure how fast these guys grow) I'll have to start thinking ahead. Hmmm....I've always wanted a greenhouse.....
Old 09-17-2008, 07:39 PM
V.I.P Member

Hey Katrina - see my pic above showing the new pbulb on my pandurata with the two blooming spikes? I got a big surprise a couple of weeks ago :>)

It is blooming again. The new growths that produced the blooms this spring have produced new spikes! The one new pbulb has two new growths/spikes and the other new pbulb is producing one new growth/spike.

I did not know this plant was capable of blooming more than once a year. What a nice bonus :>)

Brooke
Old 09-17-2008, 08:27 PM
Administrator

OMG!! That is gorgeous! Absolutely gorgeous!! I didn't know the pandurata would/could bloom more than 1x/season either. What a pleasant surprise! Jealous here!!
Old 09-17-2008, 09:53 PM

mgfree is on a distinguished road
Brooke, your Pandurata is awesome!!!

Mine has 3 new pbulbs emerging, so fingers crossed mine can perform as well as yours
Old 09-17-2008, 11:25 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,245 Times in 759 Posts
solay is on a distinguished road
Wow!!! That is gorgeous Brooke. It looks so pretty and healthy. I'm jealous too.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:53 PM

brookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of lightbrookn is a glorious beacon of light
Brooke it must be a joy to walk into the greenhouse with all of the blooms that you have. That pandurata is gorgeous.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:50 AM
V.I.P Member

It was a very pleasant surprise when I was watering the plant one day to see the "bulge" in the brown tissue area on each side of the pbulb. Since it had bloomed earlier I thought I was just doing maintenance for the next several months.

This plant is in a 14" basket and I had planned to repot it before the next bloom cycle. The new pbulbs on it are going to be squeezed by the edge and hopefully not damaged by the restriction of the wire.

Michelle you will have blooms shortly - enjoy them.

Solay jealously can be cured with $$$$$$ so go shopping.

Yes, Brook with the n, I love walking into the g/h to see what surprises await me and this pandurata was a great surprise.

Brooke
Old 09-18-2008, 07:27 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

Thanked 1,245 Times in 759 Posts
solay is on a distinguished road
Jealousy equals no $$$$$ in my book. LOL!!! I'll need to save to make some new purchases.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:24 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket

articuno75 is on a distinguished road
I love the pandurata. Wonderful growing, and yes I too am jealous.

All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed: in life that which is unnoticed has the most power.