Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Care Cultivation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2008, 03:38 AM

Sueian is on a distinguished road
limp leaves in a Phal

Hi - bought an orchid book a while ago as killed off two plants as not sure of watering etc. Book said to put plant on stones and water the stones and let them take up what water they need. That seemed to be working well, got new leaves. Now a spike is coming (taking ages) but now the leaves are drooping and they are not upright and strong looking like they were. Also I've been given another lovely Phal with lots of flowers. I know someone who has had plants flowering for 12 months. I've had this one for 3 months and now the flowers are dying off. Any suggestions please as I would hate to kill them off. Many thanks
Old 03-20-2008, 05:15 AM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 5,449 Times in 3,014 Posts
kmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond reputekmarch has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sueian View Post
Hi - bought an orchid book a while ago as killed off two plants as not sure of watering etc. Book said to put plant on stones and water the stones and let them take up what water they need.
If that is what the book said, I would be of the opinion that it's not a very good orchid book. This watering method poses more questions than it answers: How would you know when it had taken up as much as it needed? How long would that take? How much water does an orchid need?

I am going to guess that your phal has been fairly wet pretty consistently. If that's correct you probably have some rotted roots. I'd recommend checking out the roots to see if they are good or gone. Green or cream coloured, firm and crisp is good and healthy. Black, grey, or brown, and soft or mushy is dead.

You might as well go ahead and repot (unless you've done it recently) as this will give you a chance to check out the roots and besided if it has been wet the mix may also be degraded.

Abandon that old method of watering and look at this thread for watering using the skewer method. Actually consider tossing that whole book.

Many orchid growers do use trays of pebbles with water in them but not for watering. They are humidity trays. The pot sits on top of the rocks above the water and the water raises the humidity level around the plant. The plants never sit down in the water.

Fingers crossed, hoe or the best, and if you feel like it, write the author of that book and tell them they're WRONG!

Regarding your new phal that is dropping its flowers, phals do not respond too well to changes in conditions andit is not uncommon for them to drop buds or flowers when they're moved from one location to another. The flower drop is probably nothing to worry about. Go to AOS | Home and get a good culture sheet on phals. Give it a read and let us know if you have any questions.

Good Luck!!

Last edited by kmarch; 03-20-2008 at 05:17 AM.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:30 AM
Site Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 3,228 Times in 1,355 Posts
fred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond reputefred has a reputation beyond repute
hi Sueian
can you please go into your UserCP on the top left of the page and click that and update your Profile with your Location as this will help us to understand your growing conditions also that will help us with giving you the right advice.
as we have members from all over the world with different growing conditions