Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Care Cultivation

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kuzuri

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2014, 10:43 AM

Kuzuri is on a distinguished road
Is This a Keiki? (Acacalis x Zygopetalum hybrid)

I found more growths, this time on my Acacalis Cyanea x Zygopetalum Helen Ku. In fact, it seems there is growing a Keiki ON the Keiki (if that's what it is) too! And there's a new similar growth forming on one of the other pbulbs. It seems my orchids are breeding like rabbits!

I have considered if it's because of stress - I just recently got them, and the move as well as having to get used to a new "home" and a new owner's routine could very well be a stress-factor. But these Keiki are about to bloom, and one of the Keiki's roots reach the media, so most of these (all except for the new growth) must've been on the plant when I got it, so I'm not fully blaming myself.

Anyway, here are some photos:

The large growth.

The growth on the growth.

Both, as you see, are growing on another plant's pbulb, and I read that that's where keiki grow when forming on plants that have pbulbs. So do enlighten a poor newbie! Are these keiki, or just part of the plant?
Old 05-14-2014, 11:14 AM

kine671 is on a distinguished road
I'd call those new growth "shoots." Keikis generally form on monopodial orchids like phalaenopsis. Besides my dendrobiums (little keiki making machines, especially my D. loddigesii), my sympodial orchids just send out new shoots along the rhizome, which become new p-bulbs.

"Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet." Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old 05-14-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kine671 View Post
I'd call those new growth "shoots." Keikis generally form on monopodial orchids like phalaenopsis. Besides my dendrobiums (little keiki making machines, especially my D. loddigesii), my sympodial orchids just send out new shoots along the rhizome, which become new p-bulbs.
Ah, thank you. I just think it's kind of weird that they have roots of their own. Can you separate them from the "mother plant" and plant them on their own? I've read that you can divide the plants, but each plant needs to have at least three pbulbs.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:26 AM

kine671 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuzuri View Post
Ah, thank you. I just think it's kind of weird that they have roots of their own. Can you separate them from the "mother plant" and plant them on their own? I've read that you can divide the plants, but each plant needs to have at least three pbulbs.
You could divide them. And that's the rule I use...3 or MORE healthy p-bulbs per division. But if the plant is growing nicely, I'd just pot it in a larger pot.

"Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet." Jean-Jacques Rousseau
Old 05-14-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kine671 View Post
You could divide them. And that's the rule I use...3 or MORE healthy p-bulbs per division. But if the plant is growing nicely, I'd just pot it in a larger pot.
Seems like a good rule. As for dividing, there are blooms on the way, so it's not something I'd do until the blooms are gone. I might just leave it alone, but we'll see.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:34 AM

Speaking of Keiki Machines, there seems to be two on the way on my Den Cretaceum x Anosmum - I just removed and planted one (and another from my Den Sulawesiense/Glomeratum), so I think it classifies as a Keiki Machine as well, haha.
kine671 likes this.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:14 PM

bearded orchid is on a distinguished road
The general rule for identification is that new shoots that arise from the base rhizome are considered growths while full plants that sprout growing higher up along the length of the growth or along the flower spike are considered keikis.

Sympodial orchids are like Gladiolas, Irises, and other bulbed, tuberous plants. They spread by extending the rhizome and sprouting multiple plants along it. They are all connected to one another by this rhizome and thus considered the same plant. Think of it as branches on a tree.

Keikis usually only show up in monopodial orchids, but several species of sympodials get them too (namely Dendrobiums and Epidendrums). They are completely new plants that sprout from a location that normally doesn't produce new vegetative growth (flower spikes and leaf eyes in monopodials and most often along cane-type pseudobulbs in sympodials).