Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Care Cultivation

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ss3110

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-13-2017, 04:19 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Scotland
Posts: 5
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
ss3110 is on a distinguished road
Is my orchid okay?

My zygopetalum orchid finished shedding its flowers a couple of weeks ago. It appears healthy enough but Iím worried about the slightly floppy leaves. Is it healthy or would there be something wrong with it?
Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 011E17B2-2B43-47B3-B431-71EC9E226F8C.jpg (41.9 KB, 25 views)
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-13-2017, 04:47 PM
Bolero's Avatar
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Geelong, Australia
Posts: 4,410
Thanks: 3,472
Thanked 3,417 Times in 1,243 Posts
Bolero is on a distinguished road
Looks ok, very healthy from what I can tell from the photo. Time to cut the spike off.

It does look very green, I hang mine near the roof of a shade house to give it really bright light. I think that would could use more light but gradually give it more so it doesn't burn with too much exposure. Being in Scotland it could be tricky to give enough light in winter.

I would suggest contacting a local orchid society there and see what they do to grow them there. I grow mine outside all year round in dappled light (under shade cloth) but my situation will be very different to yours.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bolero For This Useful Post:
ss3110 (12-13-2017)
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-13-2017, 05:01 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Scotland
Posts: 5
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
ss3110 is on a distinguished road
Thanks Bolero. My first time owning an orchid, Iím still learning! My other two are moth orchids I think so they look totally different (you can see one at the back in the photo). As for light, they live on the windowsill all day but Iíll try and get a brighter spot for it. Thanks again for your advice!

Last edited by ss3110; 12-13-2017 at 05:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ss3110 For This Useful Post:
Bolero (12-14-2017)
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12-14-2017, 01:33 AM
Bolero's Avatar
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Geelong, Australia
Posts: 4,410
Thanks: 3,472
Thanked 3,417 Times in 1,243 Posts
Bolero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3110 View Post
Thanks Bolero. My first time owning an orchid, Iím still learning! My other two are moth orchids I think so they look totally different (you can see one at the back in the photo). As for light, they live on the windowsill all day but Iíll try and get a brighter spot for it. Thanks again for your advice!
On the windowsill should be ok, they do need light like Cymbidiums which is quite bright.

I think you will be fine with it, very different culture to moth orchids though.

Thanks for joining the group, hope you learn a lot here especially how variable orchids can be.

What part of Scotland do you come from?
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12-14-2017, 02:32 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Scotland
Posts: 5
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
ss3110 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolero View Post
On the windowsill should be ok, they do need light like Cymbidiums which is quite bright.

I think you will be fine with it, very different culture to moth orchids though.

Thanks for joining the group, hope you learn a lot here especially how variable orchids can be.

What part of Scotland do you come from?
Iím from the South West. Where is it youíre from? As for the other 2 orchids, one was in the bin at my work, the other was a reduced price at the supermarket. Ive yet to see their flowers but as I said I think theyíre moth orchids. I think Iíve managed to upload a photo of the Zygo flowers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B5071385-6638-479D-A07F-EEC127A1C8C5.jpg (33.3 KB, 14 views)
Bolero likes this.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ss3110 For This Useful Post:
Bolero (12-15-2017)
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 12-15-2017, 06:26 AM
Bolero's Avatar
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Geelong, Australia
Posts: 4,410
Thanks: 3,472
Thanked 3,417 Times in 1,243 Posts
Bolero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3110 View Post
Iím from the South West. Where is it youíre from? As for the other 2 orchids, one was in the bin at my work, the other was a reduced price at the supermarket. Ive yet to see their flowers but as I said I think theyíre moth orchids. I think Iíve managed to upload a photo of the Zygo flowers
Geelong, Australia. South of Melbourne.

I have friends who live in Glasgow, they used to live near here but went back after their nursing tenure.

Welcome to the forum!!!
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On







Free Vote Caster from Bravenet.com Free Vote Caster from Bravenet.com


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
Orchid Forum

vBskin developed by: CreationLab