• 4 Post By katrina

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2017, 12:04 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 3,400 Times in 1,226 Posts
Bolero is on a distinguished road
Is it too late?

Is late Autumn too late to repot Catasetums?

I am guessing yes but due to a number of personal things going on I haven't repotted at all over spring and summer.

Just wait until October now? The plants are spilling out of the pots.......and are in sphagnum moss......which is getting old. I guess they will be bone dry from next month so the moss may not matter either.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:41 AM
Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 5,379 Times in 3,089 Posts
katrina is on a distinguished road
I would wait. They are winding down now so holding off not only isn't going to hurt them one bit but it's also better to let them be.

I do all of my ctsm repots just before they break dormancy or just as they are starting to wake up. I think the fresh medium is also a boost for the fast growth about to get started. That and I like to put time release fert in the pots so they have a lot of nutrients to push the coming growth.

I should add...I have been potting mine in straight sphag for a couple/few years now and even with all the watering and heavy fert...the sphag is always fine. Some years I simply put the plant into a larger pot w/out taking off the older sphag and I just back fill w/new sphag and I have never had any root issues. I tend to get a lot of roots that carry over for a few years and I feel that is the reason I get such good growth and blooming from my Ctsm. I've even divided many and most never skip a beat w/the next bloom cycle. I use NZ sphag...the supreme/AAAAA (ie - expensive!) stuff but it's worth the extra cost because it does last a lot longer and I never have root troubles. I just wish the high end sphag helped w/spider mites! It never fails...come late summer/fall when temps are hot and it's dry...I battle those little bastards and they love, love, love my Ctsm. So, yea, you'll be fine holding off - even in sphag.
Bolero, Fishmom, sunshine and 1 others like this.
Bolero (04-12-2017), sunshine (04-12-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 03:20 AM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 3,400 Times in 1,226 Posts
Bolero is on a distinguished road
Thanks Katrina. I have opted to hold off since my last post except for one or two which were breaking the pot. I also exclusively use sphagnum moss in them and I can't believe how easy they are to grow in it. Thank you for your advice, I will repot around October as it warms up and fingers crossed it all goes well.

The fresh media each year is a great idea. Really appreciate your fantastic advice! Thank you.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:45 AM
Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 5,379 Times in 3,089 Posts
katrina is on a distinguished road
I hear ya on the sphag! They seem to really love the stuff and those first few I tested it out on had bigger, fatter roots than they did prior to the switch. The next season...I moved them all to sphag only.

Sorry I was late to chime in...happy to help, even if it is late.