Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By sunshine
  • 1 Post By blackvine
  • 1 Post By Mojave

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 05:42 PM

Mojave is on a distinguished road
I just can't win - pbulbs and canes

Most people have problems with providing enough light. I will be the first to admit that I am really bad at watering, sometimes not watering for a month. I have a nice SW facing window so light is never an issue.

I do really well with Phals, which seems counter intuitive because they don't store water. I also have some plants with canes, and I've completely given up on all pbulbs.

Anyway I have some mini catts and a hard cane den where the new growths this year are fine, but the old ones are shriveled. I've tried soaking them for up to a day to help and while it does a little bit, it's still pretty bad. It's not just on old leafless canes, like on my den, but sometimes on all except the new ones like my ctna. why not 'because'.

All things considered the plants area fine, they grow new canes/shoots and lots of roots, but are slllllow.

So I guess my question is - should I really be that concerned?
Old 11-11-2012, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 3,656 Times in 2,212 Posts
sunshine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
Most people have problems with providing enough light. I will be the first to admit that I am really bad at watering, sometimes not watering for a month. I have a nice SW facing window so light is never an issue.

I do really well with Phals, which seems counter intuitive because they don't store water. I also have some plants with canes, and I've completely given up on all pbulbs.

Anyway I have some mini catts and a hard cane den where the new growths this year are fine, but the old ones are shriveled. I've tried soaking them for up to a day to help and while it does a little bit, it's still pretty bad. It's not just on old leafless canes, like on my den, but sometimes on all except the new ones like my ctna. why not 'because'.

All things considered the plants area fine, they grow new canes/shoots and lots of roots, but are slllllow.

So I guess my question is - should I really be that concerned?
Remember the pbulbs purpose is store water and nutrients for new growths and reserve backup when no water is available. This is common on dens and catts. It just means the old pbulbs are being depleted by new growths and old age. As long as the pbulb is firm and green leave it alone.

Yes, the new growths are slow but it's well worth the wait

A watched pot never boils
Mojave likes this.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000209739937
Old 11-11-2012, 07:21 PM
V.I.P Member
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 2,686 Times in 1,127 Posts
psyc1210 is on a distinguished road
Contrary to popular belief, Phals DO store SOME water in their leaves. Clearly not as much water as a pbulb would store, but still some.

The Following User Says Thank You to psyc1210 For This Useful Post:
Mojave (11-11-2012)
Old 11-11-2012, 09:37 PM
V.I.P Member

Catt Mandu is on a distinguished road
This sounds like the opposite of the problem that many others have; they water too much, you water too little.

Something I've suggested before to over-waterers is to put a marker on the plant that says "Saturday", or whatever is the day during the week that you are most likely to have time/be able to water. With over-waterers, the idea is to resist the urge to water too much by only watering on the designated day. For you, the idea is the opposite. If it is easier to remember to water if the reminder is somewhere else (on your car keys, maybe), then mark that. The idea is, do something to remind yourself to get watering done once a week.

After watering becomes a habit, you can adjust to accommodate your plant's rest periods, etc.

If your plant has healthier old growths, it is more likely to have the energy reserves to help it bloom the next time.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:11 PM
Banned

blackvine is on a distinguished road
Mojave, I can't remember anything to save my life. By trade, I'm an executive administrative assistant and people think I'm insanely organized . . . but I have a secret. It's called "calendar with alerts and irritating reminders"! It's right in front of me on my PC. Just set a task for every week on Saturday (or whatever day you water) and DON'T DELETE IT until you do it. It will aggravate you to see the reminder still there at the end of the day on, say, Monday and you . . . will . . . do it. Just a suggestion!
Catt Mandu likes this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blackvine For This Useful Post:
Catt Mandu (11-11-2012), Mojave (11-12-2012)
Old 11-12-2012, 12:21 AM

Mojave is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackvine View Post
Mojave, I can't remember anything to save my life. By trade, I'm an executive administrative assistant and people think I'm insanely organized . . . but I have a secret. It's called "calendar with alerts and irritating reminders"! It's right in front of me on my PC. Just set a task for every week on Saturday (or whatever day you water) and DON'T DELETE IT until you do it. It will aggravate you to see the reminder still there at the end of the day on, say, Monday and you . . . will . . . do it. Just a suggestion!
LOL!

It's funny you say that, part of my job is project management lol - I am so organized at work, at home I'm a mess!
blackvine likes this.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:50 AM
V.I.P Member

Thanked 1,308 Times in 749 Posts
tangers40 is on a distinguished road
i agree with the calendar reminders thing. i do this with my plants. i separate mine out into several days, doing a particular section each day. with the calendar reminders staring me in the face, i know which section needs to be done, and also makes sure i GET it done....if i don't, i have two sections (which = more time needed to do the task) to get done the next day...it'll snowball.

it's hard to ignore those warnings. i say do it!
Mojave (11-12-2012)