Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Care Cultivation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2017, 02:50 PM

Sunshine Rivera is on a distinguished road
Help with Phals

I stopped at Home Depot this morning and they had these 5 phals marked down to $7 ea. I couldn't pass them up even though I had promised myself no more for awhile. The only problem with them is someone saturated them and they are so soggy I could literally wring them out.

I was told never to repot them while still in bloom so what do I do to help them right now. I don't want any problems with root rot or such so, what do I do to help them?

Thanks so much,

Sunshine Rivera
Attached Thumbnails
phal-orchids-resize.jpg  
Old 07-23-2017, 05:22 PM

MattWoelfsen is on a distinguished road
In this case, I would probably pull them from the pots and let them dry out. The prohibition against re-potting when in bloom is not so restrictive when you are trying to rescue the plant. You might further hasten the demise of the flowers but you will have saved the plant so that it can bloom again.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:06 PM

Thanks. That's what I finally did. I pulled them from the pots and most of the outer sphagnum came off. I laid them out bare naked in the air for alittle while (it was very cloudy here today) and then finally placed them in new pots temporarily. I'll repot them permanently tomorrow.

When the moss fell off of them the roots were the greenest I've seen on orchids, though I'm only a newbie and haven't seen that many! But they were green green green.

Thanks so much,

Sunshine Rivera
Old 07-24-2017, 12:28 AM
Senior Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 1,223 Times in 915 Posts
Fishmom is on a distinguished road
Sunshine, welcome! The green is really good. Many commercial growers use sphagnum, but it tends to be hard to handle for hobbyists and beginners. You can be glad your plants got a good start and you will find out how often they need watering under your conditions and potting medium.

There are many orchid societies in your area. They are a great resource for learning, and a nice way to meet like-minded people. I heartily recommend that you visit one.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:40 PM

Thanks and thank you for the orchid society suggestion. I'll look them up and see if I can find something close. I guess contacting the extension agent for the county would be a good place to start. I have some other questions for him, as well.

I have a phal question though. I have several phals up in one of my oak trees. Obviously tied to a tree they have no medium around them except the tree. Would it be correct to think that a phal could survive in an indoor environment, in a pot, without any medium? As long as you, say, misted it daily to fulfill its watering needs? Is that really the only reason for an indoor phal to be placed in medium is for its hydrating needs? Just wondered if it would survive in a vanda basket if it was spritzed daily?

Thanks so much

Sunshine Rivera
Old 07-25-2017, 12:52 PM
Senior Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 1,223 Times in 915 Posts
Fishmom is on a distinguished road
Attached to a tree without medium is the natural state for phalaenopsis. They are epiphytes and spread their roots along the tree branches so they can take advantage of moisture in their environment,rain, dew, and humidity. If you are able to duplicate these conditions, you are lucky!

And yes, a vanda basket will work just fine. It is important to water daily enough that the roots turn green, not just a misting. Then they need to dry out enough so that the roots are silvery again. It is that wet-dry cycle that they crave.

Here are a couple of helpful links. There is a ton of useful information in the "stickies" at the top of the Orchid Care section of this forum.

Orchid Care for Phalenonopis & Paphiopedilum Orchids
Skewer use for watering of orchids

Last edited by Fishmom; 07-25-2017 at 01:01 PM.