Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Care Cultivation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2008, 09:46 PM

dipasquo is on a distinguished road
Going on vacation for two weeks: suggestions?

I am going away for two weeks and wonder what is the best thing for me to do with my orchids. I am considering boarding some with a nearby grower but I have too many to do all of them. For the ones that stay home I will probably ask someone to stop by while I'm gone. With the current weather most will only need a watering once while I'm gone but if it gets hot it could be more often. I thought about taking everything out of the windows to be sure that they don't get too hot or dry out too much (say onto my kitchen counter) - but not sure if the low light for 2 weeks would throw them for a loop. I've also got a few in spike, so I'm not sure if it's better to board these and risk them being shocked by the change of scenery, or leave them here and risk them being over/underwatered by whomever does me that favor. Thoughts?
Old 04-30-2008, 11:07 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 3,205 Times in 1,285 Posts
mayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of lightmayres is a glorious beacon of light
Here is my 2 cents worth (and I TRULY mean TWO cents worth! )If it were me I would leave them all in their normal positions as much as is possible and then have someone water them ONCE midway in your vacation. Better to underwater than overwater. This is assuming you don't have plants in a window that is going to be in warm/hot sunny window during that time - if so I would back them off as you suggested and then still go with the once routine.

Last edited by mayres; 04-30-2008 at 11:08 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-30-2008, 11:34 PM
V.I.P Member

sandra is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayres View Post
and then still go with the once routine.
If it's once, is it then routine? Sorry Mike, I couldn't resist.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:42 PM

berkeleysgr8 is on a distinguished road
Last year when I went on vacation for two weeks I ended up putting my trays of orchids into large, clear plastic garbage bags. Most of them looked much happier after I got back than they did before going into the bags. However, in my case, I was leaving in July during very hot weather (100-110) and I didn't know anyone locally who wouldn't get totally stressed and overwhelmed with watering (most people assume orchids are much more delicate than they really are).
Old 05-01-2008, 02:55 AM
Executive Senior Member Photobucket

arleneg is a jewel in the rougharleneg is a jewel in the rougharleneg is a jewel in the rougharleneg is a jewel in the rough
I agree with Mike. However, I'd ask the person to water twice while away for 2 weeks. But then, you're in cool, foggy San Fran. I don't think you'll get any temps in the 80F range anytime soon. I know how it goes...when temps get up to the low 70's, it seems that everyone in SF is hot! LOL I used to live in SF.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:20 AM
Senior Member Photobucket

norris is on a distinguished road
Hi Dipasquo, I agree with Mike also, there's really no need to stress your plants any more than absolutely necessary. I had a two week vacation last month, and what I did was have a friend come over one time at the one week point and just spray with a hand sprayer until he saw water come out the bottom. (I don't have them on good furniture, and I didn't want him to go to the trouble of taking them to the tub, and risk breaking spikes).
Old 07-01-2008, 01:22 AM
Super Moderator Photobucket

Cynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond reputeCynthia, Prescott, AZ has a reputation beyond repute
I don't think the lower light of pulling back from the window will be a problem, no more than two weeks of overcast weather.

Prescott Orchid Society
Old 07-01-2008, 04:47 PM
Member Photobucket

11Orchid126 is on a distinguished road
I agree with Cynthia. If the plants are in low light, they won't need much water. If you water them well just before you leave and when you come back, they should be okay.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:13 AM
Member Photobucket

NancyG is on a distinguished road
Another thought... I went away and brought my orchids in and put them in the bathtub on a tray that sat on bricks. I filled the tub with water so there was humidity. The bathtub has a window over it. They were fine when I came back. I did have to be careful putting them gradually back into the Florida sunshine. On plant was sunburned and I thought it was in filtered light.

NancyG