Go Back   Orchid Forum Orchid Care > Orchid Care > Orchid Care Cultivation

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By katrina

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2016, 07:11 PM

braybray is on a distinguished road
FDK Black Pearl

Hey guys need some advice. I'm trying to get this plant to bloom . I know it's early . I live in south Florida. I get great growth but no blooms. Plant starts going dormant in August. It's doesn't get really cold here idk if this may be the problem . One year when we got a really good cold spurt it bloomed. I have heard once it starts getting yellow leaves I should bring it inside and reduce the lighting and temperature and stop water. I also heard I should increase the lighting. Does anyone have any advice to get this guy to bloom next year? Thanks.
Old 04-24-2016, 07:39 PM
Senior Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 1,223 Times in 915 Posts
Fishmom is on a distinguished road
Have you read the culture advice on the Sunset Valley Orchids website? No one knows these plants better than Fred Clarke. He answers questions, too.

I have two After Dark plants. They stay outside until the night temps are in the 50-55 degree range and then come inside. One bloomed last year, while the leaves were still green in the fall. The other didn't bloom--same treatment. I didn't withold water until about Thanksgiving. The non-bloomer went dormant first and is now far ahead of the other one in terms of growth. It may be the one that blooms this year.
Old 04-24-2016, 08:49 PM
V.I.P Member Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thanked 3,397 Times in 1,223 Posts
Bolero is on a distinguished road
Yes ask Fred, he is excellent.

The only advice I would give (I have an After Dark in spike now) is lots of fertiliser during growing season as these plants are very greedy for food when active. And lots of light, very bright. I grow mine in summer at the top of the shade house where light is brightest.

I have 4 x Ctsm's in bud including one After Dark 'SVO'.
Old 04-25-2016, 07:38 AM
Administrator
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thanked 5,377 Times in 3,088 Posts
katrina is on a distinguished road
If it's old enough to bloom and it's not...it's likely a light issue. They don't need a cold snap to bloom so I wouldn't worry about that part.

As Bolero said, heavy fert during active growth, lots of water during active growth (it's nearly impossible to over-water this group when they are active) and very bright light. Check out the site that Fishmom mentioned...Fred is the world expert on this group.
exasperatus2002 likes this.